Rechrome whelen strobe housing?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Anyone ever try to rechrome plastic reflector housings? I've got some 700 strobe heads that function but the chrome is gone on the reflctors so they are super dim. The have a unique lens option (clear with colored inners) so I'd like to preserve them. Any suggestions?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Which series 700? 73? 7E? Side beam? I would bet you can replace the strobes without the lenses... however I have had some success with silver reflective spray paint and judicious masking tape use when the housing can't be replaced.

Reactions: Sparky_911

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
You can see if there are any companies near you that offer aluminum vapor deposition, but it will be expensive.

I have had good luck with a product I found building scale models as a kid, 30 years ago... ugh, it pains me to say that. Anyway, it's called "Bare Metal Foil" and it's an extremely thin adhesive backed metal foil that comes in different varieties. It's fairly easy to work with once you get the hang of it and will reflect and diffuse better than paint. Obviously you don't need a mirrored surface, but if you so desired, you can even (carefully) polish these foils with metal polish to get an even more reflective surface.

There don't seem to be too many hobby shops around any more, so I suppose you'll need to buy it direct if you can't find any on Amazon... so here's their website:

Reactions: Hoff and Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Which series 700? 73? 7E? Side beam? I would bet you can replace the strobes without the lenses... however I have had some success with silver reflective spray paint and judicious masking tape use when the housing can't be replaced.
Thanks for the replies. Not 100% on the series but the truck is a 95 and the heads have the Q style bulbs not linear, guessing 700s. I'll get a shot of the innards later today.
20220820_114440.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thanks for the replies. Not 100% on the series but the truck is a 95 and the heads have the Q style bulbs not linear, guessing 700s. I'll get a shot of the innards later today.
View attachment 238613
Ok, the answer is simple. This is a 73 series, twist lock bulb style. I have a stack of reflectors. I'll send you some, just tell me how many. Take a shot of the innards later to be sure but I probably have replacement reflectors for you, just pay shipping.

Also, cool example of the "inner filer style". If I recall they are similar to the diffusers for the scene lights but colored, held in with hole that the "posts" the screws of the main lens goes through.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Photos! Lenses do say 73 series fo' sho'. I have 4 with the special lenses and 2 r/b in the grille. The grille ones are much brighter than the special lens style. Before I PM you @JohnMarcson lemme do a test swapping the lenses and see what that does. 20220820_114422.jpg20220826_154438.jpg20220826_154501.jpg20220826_154613.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Photos! Lenses do say 73 series fo' sho'. I have 4 with the special lenses and 2 r/b in the grille. The grille ones are much brighter than the special lens style. Before I PM you @JohnMarcson lemme do a test swapping the lenses and see what that does. View attachment 238625View attachment 238622View attachment 238623View attachment 238624
If you need all 4 I probably can help you out. Just let me know. I also call dibs on those lenses if you ever sell or replace.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Definitely be replacing. Took a video of its current state. Note how the sides look dimmer than then grille.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I will have to dig but I think I have a total of four twist lock reflectors of that style. I assume you would be interested in buying them? I would probably charge like $20 each.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Thanks. I have LEDs on the way to replace the strobe stuff. Think I'll hang on to a pair of the splits for collection sake. I'll PM you if I decide on replacement housings.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thanks. I have LEDs on the way to replace the strobe stuff. Think I'll hang on to a pair of the splits for collection sake. I'll PM you if I decide on replacement housings.
I would definitely be interested in buying the lenses from those. I don't have any internal filter style in my collection. Obviously you may want to hang on to them but I just want to establish my interest.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
How's about some thin foam around the bulb and cover the top you know shape it to the the shape of the bulb all the way down towards the base and masking tape to hold that right along the seam or overlap it a little and then a piece of masking tape over the top and then rattle can it or however you wish to do it this way you don't get any on the bulb and nothing on the base as well cuz I've had that thought about doing that to my strobes for my edge bar and for some of the lenses for some of the lights that I still have.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Well I pulled the heads. For some reason the side ones are in worse shape than the grilles (extra filters holding heat in?) All of the bulbs are twist lock so shooting them with paint should be cake.
Got time off this weekend so gonna shoot em and see what happens.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
How's about some thin foam around the bulb and cover the top you know shape it to the the shape of the bulb all the way down towards the base and masking tape to hold that right along the seam or overlap it a little and then a piece of masking tape over the top and then rattle can it or however you wish to do it this way you don't get any on the bulb and nothing on the base as well cuz I've had that thought about doing that to my strobes for my edge bar and for some of the lenses for some of the lights that I still have.
I mean if you can pull the bulb out to do it then that is preferable. But if you can't covering it up and judicious use of masking tape would be indicated.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.