Recommendations for power distribution

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Hello all im wondering what you all use for power distribution in your setups looking for ideas for power and ground for fusing and cable management type deals

Any recommendations and insight would be greatly appreciated pictures are welcome as well

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
For me it depends on the level of install.
Anything LED gets a 10ga wire from the battery into the cab (w/inline 20a fuse) then to a distribution block (also fused) to switch panel(s) from there. Big enough for a full bar with perimeter lights.
Anything old school (halo,strobe) or leds with add ins (radio,siren,mdc) gets 8ga or bigger with a 50amp inline fuse then same as above.

I always go big on main power, cost is minimal and install time is about the same. Gives the install room for expansion and adds some safety factor in, you know in case the owner tries to add their own stuff...

Reactions: Murdock

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
The vehicle is getting a 0 awg feed for power with a 100A fuse (has alot of radio and a couple halogen remote spot lights) among led lighting both warning and driving lights

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Whoa....that's way big. Hope they got 2 batteries..

Reactions: Jarred J.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Whoa....that's way big. Hope they got 2 batteries..
Its a truck its got 4 batteries (ambulance package ford F550 with inverter addon pack) so its got tunns of amps to play with lol he wants a single point fuse box setup for all the aftermarket stuff like his winch, scene lights, driving lights, warning lights, air compressor, etc. One fuse block with 0 AWG for winch and other heavy draw stuff and another 0 AWG for the rest all in one location for ease of upgrades or servicing pretty much

Reactions: Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Rescue or camper conversion?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Yeah, no. Go with something reputable. Might cost more but worth it .

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Blue sea makes some nice ones. Covered with labels. Hella Dorman and littlefuse make some decent ones as well. I used the ATO style non buss in my last install
20210107_050609.jpg
Way too small for what you're doing though. I'd try to find one with a built in buss tab/bar.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
They have a larger one as well... Sorry the cover off picture didn't come through but it has 12, 6 x 6 and same negative side 2 rows per side.

Attachments

• 16100322556747544774362281596079.jpg
    16100322556747544774362281596079.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: Da-Sarge

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
They have a larger one as well... Sorry the cover off picture didn't come through but it has 12, 6 x 6 and same negative side 2 rows per side.
Thats rite up my ally wares the best place to get them? Also battery drain protection whats a good option for that?

Texas1075

Apr 21, 2021
Texas
Depends on the complexity and the quality level of installation. Some clients ask for the down and dirty least expensive installation possible, I pass on that business. My current clients get the best installation possible and are willing to pay for that work. My primary power is fused using two or three 100amp bolt down "Mega Fuse" housings and associated fuses with the secondary systems getting a fuse block with 4 Maxi Fuses. About 10 years ago I started using STINGER brand Maxi-Fuse blocks and although they are designed for audio systems they have been excellent fuse blocks with solid connections and 100% reliability. As for battery drain I have switched all my clients into systems like the Whelen CenCOm Carbide or Sapphire that have built in timers to shut down the power after the vehicle is turned off.

If I am working on a Police Package vehicle I use some of the OEM power supply cables for emergency equipment, it's there, it's reliable and I cannot recall ever having a problem with the Ford or GM power. I always run cables to the battery for computers, camera systems, license plate readers and other equipment that needs that uninterrupted power.

I never use any wire not specified for automotive use. I purchase wire from "Wire and Cable Your Way" on the internet and always specify the silicone coated automotive rated wire. I quit using butt splices and solderless connectors about 20 years ago, all my installs are soldered.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.