Red AM 600 comparison..

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
We saw sparkys review on the blue
.. here's my 1st impression and vids I just took....

So I ordered Red mag mount from U B L..last Saturday... I got a confirmation that my order was placed but never a shipment email... Today I checked their site and it stated "partial order sent". I was thinking ok what does that mean?

Tonight I checked my hidey hole were my mailman places my packages and there it was.

The box it came in.
KIMG0582.JPG

Some assembly,dissasembly, and reassembly required...
KIMG0584.JPG

The mounting plate was not assembled right. The "tabs" that go in the wire exit hole did not line up properly and were 120 degrees off... I had to unscrew the mounting plate turn it and reassemble....

Then to this..KIMG0585.JPG
The mounting plate screws are:
A) either wrong size or type
B) to long

The magnet doesn't hold worth a flip... I may reverse engineer it later with a bigger one as it feels like a 10lb pull but it's the size of a 50lb I was told it is not rated to go above 30mph... It'd be hard pressed to push 15 lol... I'm only using it for parades and stationary use for now....

Night time vids..... Turn monitors sideways ..

By itself...

Red vs code 3 green.... I selected the rotate/flash patterns for these...

AM600 vs halogen red firebeam.... Even though the led appears brighter there's nothing like that halogen pop you see

And finally, I added the dash light which wiped them both out..... To the front... Except that pop from the firebeam...

Overall, I'm not overly impressed...but it seems decent for the price... It's slightly larger than the code 3 beacon and it's 3 times bigger than the firebeam... I'll try to do daytime vids tommorow

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Must have fallen out of the box last night as they were under the ride...KIMG0599.JPG

Now to swap them out ....

Reactions: OliverD and Tony P

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I'd like to see a SNM $100 dollar beacon compared to othe brands of the same cost......I've seen SNM vidz of their beacon, looks good.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
A size comparison of the right screws...
KIMG0607.JPG

And then right ones in....
KIMG0608.JPG

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
MAGNET UPDATE..

ok so your results will vary but I put the beacon on the ride for the Christmas parade Sunday... because i have another parade Friday night i just decided to leave it on there.. Cautious as to its reliability i have become quite surprised...

I drive 12 - 14 miles to work a day depending on which highway i take (backwoods or "main") on top of the 8 - 10 miles it takes me to get to any food place in the next town because where i work doesnt have night time food service.

the back woods highway has sharp curve,s steep elevation increases and decreases sometimes in the same mile... I have not exceeded 60mph on this highway and the beacon has not budged..

I passed someone on the mostly 4 lane highway the other day and even passed a school bus (no sign out traveling 50 in a 55 on a 4 lane). When i got off one night i pushed 75 and still no movement from the beacon...

now let me say this, my roof on the escape is mostly flat. I have a small antenna directly in front of the beacon which may be helping the wind to "go around" it so its not getting a direct hit...

I have not taken it on the Interstate (nor would i have a need to... lol)KIMG0616.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: OliverD and Tony P

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Jared I think I found a solution to your lack of stick-um when it comes to magnet mounts.

I went to the local Harbor Freight and picked up 3 of these babies...

20190109_105424.jpg

A little Scotch brand (read: stretchy) electrical tape and voila....75lbs of magnetic force.
Only $15. (Plus I got a free magnetic parts tray with a coupon). Cheaper than their mount.

20190109_105830.jpg
20190109_112439.jpg
20190109_112453.jpg

Video to follow on the review thread I posted. Didn't have chance to road test today.

Reactions: Tony P

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
that will work but my goal is to just find a bigger magnet than whats already on there.. this is the second beacon i have with the "mag/vac" suction method and it does work well

K9_1468

Nov 29, 2021
Tennessee
I recently got one for my off duty gigs, and I am not impressed with it at all. To me the magnet was the biggest joke ever

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.