Refresh my memory...Air horn only 'siren tones' on Whelen products?

jessicarabbit

Dec 17, 2012
Rockies
I vaguely recall a unit similar to the PAH112 that had multiple airhorn only siren tones..... It had 3 or 4 different airhorn tones, along with another 5 or so airhorn only 'siren tones', even a 2 tone airhorn....

It was designed for volunteers that could have airhorns but not sirens....

I'm sure someone can remember what I'm talking about...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I vaguely recall a unit similar to the PAH112 that had multiple airhorn only siren tones..... It had 3 or 4 different airhorn tones, along with another 5 or so airhorn only 'siren tones', even a 2 tone airhorn....

It was designed for volunteers that could have airhorns but not sirens....

I'm sure someone can remember what I'm talking about...
So the current Whelen multi-tone programmable sirens have two steady airhorn tones, and a few airhorn "hi-lo" and pulsed airhorn tones. Obviously not what you mean, but you can now fill a whole siren with all airhorn tones. I got a fever and the only cure is more airhorn....

Prior to that there was a stand alone "airhorn only" unit for the blue light no siren club. Air horns weren't sirens so they technically weren't going to earn you the wrath of the PA, NJ or NY state police.
The PAH112 and the PAP112 are the current models, but there were previous ones. I can dig through my literature to see their model numbers. They were very similar to the PAH112, I will have to dig out the model numbers.

Carson also makes one that they claim is a stand alone "stutter tone" sounding electronic horn, I respectfully disagree, but whatever.

jessicarabbit

Dec 17, 2012
Rockies
This had very distinct airhorn tones that were trying to be siren tones but clearly not, just using electronic airhorn sounds of different tones/varieties...

I haven't seen it in probably 20 years, though... just vaguely remember it because a friend in PA got one because he couldn't run siren and said it was pretty effective. It may not have been Whelen, it may have been Carson, as I specifically remember it being marketed to volunteers, which was a pretty small market back then....

It included a euro 3 tone, a hi-lo, and a couple other 'high priority' airhorn sounds..... again, trying to sound like a siren, but not.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This had very distinct airhorn tones that were trying to be siren tones but clearly not, just using electronic airhorn sounds of different tones/varieties...

I haven't seen it in probably 20 years, though... just vaguely remember it because a friend in PA got one because he couldn't run siren and said it was pretty effective. It may not have been Whelen, it may have been Carson, as I specifically remember it being marketed to volunteers, which was a pretty small market back then....

It included a euro 3 tone, a hi-lo, and a couple other 'high priority' airhorn sounds..... again, trying to sound like a siren, but not.
Whelen debuted the PAH and PAP in 1997, one was a simple airhorn only, one had a PA. It was heavily marketed in galls as an airhorn for people who can't run sirens.

The PAH has not evolved much

The PAP has evolved from the PAH with a public address microphone in the late 1990s

to a device with multiple airhorn based tones like you describe 10ish years later

The tones they began offering in the PAP were/are:
"AIR HORN tone list - PULSED AIR HORN - HI PULSED AIR HORN - LO - TONE OFF AIR HORN - HI AIR HORN - LO"

pah.JPG
2014?
pppp.jpg

Carson, Sho-Me and others all offered air horn only 100w "sirens", none had multiple tones. The only device that was air horn only with multiple tones i have ever seen is the Whelen PAP in various stages.

Reactions: jessicarabbit

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.