Relays and solenoids, when, what and why

Jan 7, 2011
Tampa, Florida
To be honest, I use solenoids on all of my installs.  You can run high amperage through them with the turn of a key.  Since all of the vehicles we build, do not have a Kussmaul Shoreline charging system, we need the entire console to shut down with the vehicle off.  There is not a need to have the vehicle off and console powered up.  I always use an 80amp continuous solenoid which is more than enough for a fully populated console.Our laptops are powered by a cigar plug so for the constant power needed, it has never drained the battery, but then again, all of our vehicles run throughout the day and never sit longer than 6-8hrs.

ckgarside

Jul 9, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I never like to switch high amperage (over 30 amps) with relays or solenoids. Why you ask? Because there is electrical arcing that occurs between the contacts when using relays and solenoids.

If at all possible we like to avoid the use of switching high amperage hot loads. We are able to protect the batteries by installing ignition sense and auto shutoff on all the equipment on all communications and warning equipment.

If there is no choice but to regularly switch a high current load, use a solid state connection whenever possible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.