Removal of dome inside paint/coating MX7000?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I just picked up a few lights including a nice 6ft MX7000 from a Fire Truck. The bummer is that half of every dome are blacked out. It appears to be factory and very well done but on the inside of the dome. I dont know if it is paint or some type of coating. Is there any way to remove this short of sanding and buffing?

20191003_000352.jpg20191003_000311.jpg

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
You could but what a lot of work. Especially if its paint and not plastidip.

Honestly it would be easier to get clear replacements and sell those off to someone looking for unique/ rare domes.

Reactions: MtnMan
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
Not sure if I can be of help, but I have clear domes both outer and inner that are all clear with no blackout rears.

I'll post pics when I get home from work :)

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Thanks for the replies, feel free to keep them coming.

I dont have any money to put into the bar so worst case I would leave it like it is.

I would be open to a trade but it would likely take the stars to align for that to work.

If I removed the black from inside the domes I would likely only do the sides then paint the other half of the top to match. I know it would be just a ton of work. I am great at restoring domes but never had to do the inside with crevices.

Never had a 72" bar on my display but I have a 60" with good full domes too. Have not had the blackout issue before though.

Would it be a sin to remove the black? Although it appears factory and well done, cant imagine much of a market for them.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Can trade if want, but wont be able to ship til next friday.

Heres my extra domes

View attachment 220678
Thanks. I am not in any hurry. Not sure what I am gonna do yet. Do you have centers also or just ends? (No centers in the photo). Whats the price if I were to purchase outrite? (Checking options). I would be looking for an amber and a red or 2 red with no cracks.

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
Ask and you will receive :)

20191003_150720.jpg

As for price...make offer, but like i said I can trade too, but wont be able to get out til next friday the 11th if I do trade route

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I display them pretty much the same way, flipping them around occasionally too. I will be selling one of the 2 that I just purchased and I want to keep my options open. For me, the covered dome is very counter productive.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
The covered dome was for those times when the girlfriend had enough of playing hide the nightstick under the lights and just wanted to sleep.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I'm sure by now you've received several offers, but I wouldn't try to alter the domes you have. I'd offer them up for trade to someone who may need or want the blacked out domes — I'm sure they would be willing to trade you some all-clear ones.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
One membef here did offer to trade some. I just cant figure out what to do so I have not done anything yet.

They are in such good condition I dont really want to let them go but seriously dislike the blackout, lol.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Then get yourself some replacements and don't get rid of the ones that are blacked-out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.