renovation Code 3 SD (sealed beams)

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Whoa!! Ça, mon chum, ça, c'est du beau boulot!!

-aka-

Whoa!! That, my friend, that is of hell of a job!! :D

How did you cleaned the metal inside?

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Jeez, that's really good work there, man!

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Eric, you know your impressed with this! I am amazed at your process!!!!

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
Great job!! What brand mechanical siren was in there? I know it's not a standard option but are you going to put it back in it?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The siren is a Universal Security siren. They were used for car alarms in the 1960s. Probably not original equipment with the lightbar.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

fireball3

Oct 25, 2010
Lyon, France
Thank you very much for your comments!

Cleaning the Inside

a lot of time sanding with sandpaper (P1000) and then polishing with "Belgom" Alu or Chrome, on all parts.

cleaning brass parts with "Miror"

sanding and polishing with machine and hand finishing.

cleaning of areas difficult to access with cotton swabs to the ears! :))

a lot of patience!

When disassembling the screw shaft driver "+" to the rotor bulbs broke!

In France, very hard to find fasteners U.S.! :-((

dmathieu said:
The siren is a Universal Security siren. They were used for car alarms in the 1960s. Probably not original equipment with the lightbar.
Dan

correct!, Dan

The mechanical siren was delivered to me with the lightbar, mark "universal" model SA-8M; Yes, I'll put it in because it's still vintage and I have no other siren.

thank you again for your compliments, but the job is not finished! :)

May 25, 2010
Hamburg (Germany)
fireball3 said:
- how to know the wattage, the sealed beam bulbs?, it is not mentioned on the bulb!

Nothing at all on the bulbs?

You can use a amperemeter/multimeter to measure the amp draw of the bulbs. Then multiply that value with 12 (Volts) (or 13.8, if you are using a powersupply) and you get the wattage of the bulb.

drb

May 23, 2010
Southern California
fireball3 said:
Pics added! ^^

questions for the experts!:

- Can I install domes Twinsonic on my Code 3 SD?

- how to know the wattage, the sealed beam bulbs?, it is not mentioned on the bulb!

thanks

GE 7400 (35 watts) was standard on the SD and XL bars from the factory. I purchase all of mine from Ryder Fleet Products:

Ryder

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
Beautiful restoration.

Inspires me to do the same with one that I was only going to clean up. Now I just may have to completely restore it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.