Replacement halogen headlight bulbs - opinions?

wolfman

May 21, 2010
Scranton, PA
I recently purchased a new vehicle and was trying to do some research on replacement halogen bulbs for it. I'd like to get something a little brighter & whiter than the stock headlights/high beams/fog lights. I've seen the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs at some local auto shops, but it looks like there are three different versions of them. I DO NOT want to upgrade to aftermarket HIDs as I'd rather keep everything as stock as possible.

Does anyone have any direct experience with the Silverstars or other major-vendor (Phillips, GE, PIAA, Bosch) headlight bulbs? I'd like to get some opinions before I deck my car out with six new bulbs.

wolfman

zach3713

May 28, 2010
Georgia
I got the Silverstar Ultra's (orange box) and can't believe the difference. I heard everyone talking about them, but didn't beieve the hype. My friend told me that if I wasn't satisfied, he pay for them, how could I pass this up? I got them, and don't know how i was driving before.

I also have a chevy 06 silverado, and the high-beam bulb will fit in the fog light....extra lights, extra bright, and I could never go back!

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I just replaced the OEM low beams in my wife's Grand Cherokee with the standard SilverStar's. What a difference! I will not go back to regular bulbs in any of our vehicles.

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Silverstars FTW if you want to keep it stock...just make sure you absolutely do not touch the glass with your bare fingers when installing; silverstars seem to be more susceptible to failure when you do.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Just be aware of the trade-off. I have used the Silverstars in the past but be aware of the shorter life span. Sylvania recommends you replace them every year and they tell you they do have a shorter lifespan. After going through 2 sets I went back to conventional halogens.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Henry455 said:
Just be aware of the trade-off. I have used the Silverstars in the past but be aware of the shorter life span. Sylvania recommends you replace them every year and they tell you they do have a shorter lifespan. After going through 2 sets I went back to conventional halogens.

+1 i had them and had to replace them after about a year and two months, then put oem bulbs back in, haven't changed them for 3 years

Coreyhudson2

Aug 30, 2010
Eastern MA
Better than Silverstars since they dont have a blue coating, thus increasing lumens (light) and a tighter coil, so the light is where you need it and not diffused across the road. PLUS they don't have the ridiculous short life like the silverstars. Highly recommended by everyone on Candlepowerforums.com (not affiliated with website below)

http://store.candlepower.com/phxtpobuhe.html

Plus there cheaper!!!

wolfman

May 21, 2010
Scranton, PA
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Glad to hear the feedback from the SilverStars in terms of longevity. I plan on having this car for at least five years, and really don't feel like dropping over $100 a year on headlights. Sounds like I'll give the Phillips a try and see how they work out. FWIW - I have the projection-type low beam headlights but standard reflector high beams and fog lights. I'm going to assume that there won't be any issues with the projection vs reflectors in terms of light color when ordering different bulbs but all in the same family.

wolfman

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
I have all PIAA lights. I have the 9004's in my headlights, and I have 2100 series fog lights (H4) mounted in the stock location.

Making sure that your lights are properly aimed will benefit you more than just choosing a different bulb.

Coreyhudson2

Aug 30, 2010
Eastern MA
bfd740 said:
Making sure that your lights are properly aimed will benefit you more than just choosing a different bulb.

Amen.

Wolfman,

If what your saying is, the difference in temperature of the bulbs will not make a difference in the projector, then yes you are correct. However if your talking about bases (HB7, 9005, D2S etc) then no, for example, a HB4 will not fit in an HB5 of anything other than an HB4. Even if you get a bulb with a "modified to fit" base, the filament will be in the wrong position and will hinder your light output and position.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.