Replacing faxed/printed "rip and run" sheets?

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
Just wondering if any departments out there have replaced the standard print or faxed rip and run sheets with some other (advanced?) technology?

If so, what did you replace it with and why did you replace it?

Thank you!

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
None of the agencies I have ever worked for have used that. We've used Minitors, alpha pagers, text messages, etc, but never printouts like that. I get the fact that in busy city departments you don't want to be taking up the airwaves with constant chatter about call details and such, but I'm pretty sure that's why most people used the MDT systems now...

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Here it's paged via Pager/text page through RSAN for dispatch. On call/en route via radio. Reports are either paper or software for trip sheets. This is for fire/EMS

For PD it's all MCT based

Both use CAD software to generate/command/dispatch/report, etc

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Some departments here have there times fax to them.

I donated a printer/ fax to the department here to save on the fax paper because of the cost and they get much clearer faxes.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
Only time I've ever had a rip/run was during a major ice storm we had here in mi a few years ago most departments had 10+ calls and only med1s, mvas, fires got paged and only first to call in and apparatus called over the air due to the volume.

On my career department we get the station/engine tone, rescue command have their own tones and just the warning order address and apparatus to respond. Everything for in service on scene controlled clear ect is all mdt same with police then times are automatically loaded to firehouse no need to call unless there's a discrepancies. Now the poc/volly depts do it the old fashion way of page everything over the radio call for times after the call is over.

Unless you mean the carbon copy papers we use on medicals? If so we still use the 3 page (white yellow pink) forms we keep the pink white/yellow goes to als, als does theirs keeps their pink one and our yellow one gives hospital our and their white ones.

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
Interesting stuff here. Doesn't sound like a big use for this service. It has been in use for our department longer then I have been a member, every call here comes a sheet during and after.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
mjMIff said:
Interesting stuff here. Doesn't sound like a big use for this service. It has been in use for our department longer then I have been a member, every call here comes a sheet during and after.

Yeah... you asked if anyone has found a replacement... and honestly, I think you're one of the only departments doing it that way.

;)

(Years ago larger departments that needed a way to dispatch multiple stations in close succession went to the print outs that you had... while the smaller departments, or the ones with smaller budgets, did the radio dispatch route. Nowadays I suspect that departments that are big enough have an alerting system (pager or station based) and then MDTs in the truck to relay up-to-date information to *all* units simultaneously.)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.