Replacing small battery with power supply?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have a wireless sensor on a detached garage that runs off the little 2032 3v battery. When temps drop, the battery is useless. I was wondering if I could just buy a cheap plug in power supply, remove the battery and solder the wires in place of the battery. Would this pose any risks or other issues? In theory, this would power the unit even in the coldest of temps.Screenshot_2022-04-21-03-46-01.png

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I did something similar to an outdoor westher sensor that ate batteries like crazy, took AAs though. Should be good as long as output voltage matches the battery volts/amps. Power fluctuations/surge from the grid would be my only concern as those small sensors can be sensitive to spikes.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
To limit your risk, consider purchasing a 3 volt power supply with a much smaller maximum current. I can't imagine that a CR2032 would be called upon to deliver 1000 mA for very long. I think you would be wise to determine the actual current requirement and size your power supply accordingly.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Is this a case where running the "constant power" through/over the battery would be a good buffer? I use a battery charger on a 12v car battery sometimes for testing, it gives me the amperage I need but doesn't damage the battery and cut out as fast. Perhaps finding a a rechargeable battery and running the charging current to it would act as a backup and buffer? I'm not as experienced with low amp/volt stuff so I would confirm my theory.

Reactions: Sparky_911
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Since I have very limited knowledge I am asking here. As far as I know, power supplies like the one pictured above only put out what is requested by the electronic device (not an all or nothing type of deal). I could be wrong so I figured I would ask.

As for leaving the battery in, I dont think that would be a good idea. Again I am not very knowledgeable with these components but I can see 2 potential issues. I would think if it charged the battery it would overcharge it as the supply would not have a charging circuit. The other is unknown why to me but seen from experience. If my 12 volt power supply for my lights touches a car battery it shuts off. It is kicking some type of circuit protection. Not sure if it sees it as an overload or short circuit but its instant off. Makes me think similar would happen with what I am trying to do here but could damage components in the process.

Thanks for the replies so far...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.