Replacing the NREMT

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
I think the one thing all EMT's can agree on is that the NREMT is a incredibly useless organization. All they've done for me is made it harder to become an EMT because of the absurity of their testing style, and damn near impossible to study for. But as far as "having our back" with laws to protect EMS, or lobbying for anything crucial, I have yet to hear of them. With the amount of EMTs out there, shouldn't we be able to come together and create a organization that will lobby for us, help us when we need them, like the PBA for cops? Has anyone else with as much free time as me ever wondered about this?

Disclaimer: I live a hermit's life style, so it is entirely possible I am not aware of such an organization existing. If one does, please let me know without making me cry and needing to hug my teddy bear.

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
I have no love for the National Registry.

The national registry de-certed oveer 100 NREMT-B and P qualified Airborne Rangers because there was a paperwork issue with our recertifications...

while we were deployed

and even with orders stating that YES WE WERE DEPLOYED and YES WE DIDN"T GET MAIL WHERE WE WERE SINCE WE PARACHUTED INTO ENEMY TERRITORY

didn't allow us to recert.

They can go fornicate with a cactus. I'll pepper spray their orifices afterwards.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Other than testing, though, they really have not done anything for anyone. I am more interested in a organization that would fight for EMS to be allowed to use lighting legitimately, and not just "flash your headlights and honk S-O-S in Morse Code at intersections", and the like. Not people who get to drag more money out of us to be tested by yet another company.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
If I remember right, the registry was/is behind a push to privatize all EMS throughout the country. That has a direct, negative effect on my job. I'm glad I stopped giving them money 7 years ago.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Check out the National Association for EMS. it's at NAEMT - Home They are a political group that seeks to further protect and work for our rights at the state and federal level. Member benefits are great, such as 30% of Jones and Bartlett Learning, two free Medic-CE credits, 25% discounts on 5.11 Tactical Products, 30% Discount on Responder STEMI Recognition program, 10% of La Quinta Suites, EMS World Expo discounts, no cost $10,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, free EMS World subscription, and more.

They closely monitor any bills that would impact EMS, whether good or bad. They also have come up with courses, such as AMLS and PHTLS, which can be found here: NAEMT - Education

They also have many partners: Our Corporate Partners

And they look to get advisors and reps in every state.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
timlinson said:
Check out the National Association for EMS. it's at NAEMT - Home They are a political group that seeks to further protect and work for our rights at the state and federal level. Member benefits are great, such as 30% of Jones and Bartlett Learning, two free Medic-CE credits, 25% discounts on 5.11 Tactical Products, 30% Discount on Responder STEMI Recognition program, 10% of La Quinta Suites, EMS World Expo discounts, no cost $10,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, free EMS World subscription, and more.

They closely monitor any bills that would impact EMS, whether good or bad. They also have come up with courses, such as AMLS and PHTLS, which can be found here: NAEMT - Education

They also have many partners: Our Corporate Partners

And they look to get advisors and reps in every state.

So here's the thing: I was checking out their website, and they seem to be saying all the right things. But...I haven't seen or heard of them until now. Are they actually doing anything, other than offering discounts on random EMS-related stuff? Anyone here a member?

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
EMT-BLS said:
So here's the thing: I was checking out their website, and they seem to be saying all the right things. But...I haven't seen or heard of them until now. Are they actually doing anything, other than offering discounts on random EMS-related stuff? Anyone here a member?

I was going to recommend the NAEMT as well for what you are looking for.

And in my field... ALS/Tactical-EMS... the NAEMT is responsible for both PHTLS and TCCC... which are huge.

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
NAEMT courses are good stuff. Used to be a PHTLS instructor, always thought it should be incorporated directly into EMT training..

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I strongly dislike NREMT also. Its because of them I am not an EMT. I feel like going up to the HQ here in Columbus, taking a shit on their doorstep and setting said shit on fire. They piss me off.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I will disclaim the following as pure personal opinion. I am in no way speaking for any department or agency. Should my job ever demand NREMT, I would obtain it. I will also say I like the employees of registry that I have had contact with. They were as fair to me as they could be and were over all great people. The idea behind the company, and that's is a company, is not alright with me at all.

It's a company that most states use for initial cert only now. I have a huge problem with a private company being the only major national testing for ems. Registry should be replaced by a real government agency or standard to administered by the states. Look at how few states use it for anything above the initial test. The latest laughable action from nremt is to make people redo the practical test at their refresher to somehow train them on the national curriculum. How redoing the same memorization style check outs makes you trained on the new curriculum I don't know. Just the latest going through the motions decision by nremt. The state of Ohio charges me nothing to renew my card every three years with CE requirements approved by my bosses, the tax payers. Registry wants cash every two years.

I also question if nremt testing meets requirements for learning disabilities that government tests follow. I said question, not assert... someone please prove me wrong here.

Come on.... it's 2013. The private better than nothing testing company is outdated. If we want to be treated as medical professionals it's time we demand real standardized testing and certifications. Nremt takes our money and does us a disservice. I dropped mine in 2002. My state card can be used to challenge nearly all the states' tests. There is only a handful of states left that require continued nremt. We deserve better.

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
Many people believe that the "National Registry" is a governmental agency, based on the name. :duh:

Many states who use the National Registry actually believe this company is doing good things. The NR keeps pushing their agenda and the states just bow down to these clowns. I have a problem with a FOR-PROFIT private company doing testing (and making the testing more difficult) for the exclusive purpose of an increased failure rate. Which equals more revenue and will later claim that this process is making “better EMT’s” :weird:

I’m speaking from my experience in Connecticut EMS and with the NR, merely my anecdotal opinion.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Personally, I could care less about 90% of EMS in its entirety.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I never held a NR card, always maintained my state card instead. Due to my enlistment in the Navy, I was unable to return home in a reasonable amount of time to recert and had to let it lapse but now they want me to do NREMT instead of just state and I refuse...

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
EMT-BLS said:
Oh, then this is the perfect thread to be part of.
This site of full of people who get their panties in a wad when someone has an opinion they don't like.

foxtrot5 said:
I never held a NR card, always maintained my state card instead.
Same here for most of the same reasons being discussed - another test, more fees, more hoops to recert, and no benefit.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
WS224 said:
This site of full of people who get their panties in a wad when someone has an opinion they don't like.

By all means, dislike EMS as much as you want. But that doesn't really explain why you came onto my thread to bitch about it...

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
"Your" thread is on a public board to bitch about your opinion of NREMT and to enlist discussion about it which is what I did. My opinion even agreed with youAnd you're calling me the moron.......ironic.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
FireEMSPolice said:
I strongly dislike NREMT also. Its because of them I am not an EMT. I feel like going up to the HQ here in Columbus, taking a shit on their doorstep and setting said shit on fire. They piss me off.

Put it in a paperbag, then light it on fire......heheheh

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
WS224 said:
Personally, I could care less about 90% of EMS in its entirety.

Then go away.... the people that do are talking.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
WS224 said:
"Your" thread is on a public board to bitch about your opinion of NREMT and to enlist discussion about it which is what I did. My opinion even agreed with youAnd you're calling me the moron.......ironic.

The fact that you would join a conversation just to tell us you don't care about the topic says it all. You in no way were "enlisted" in the discussion. You posted a one line post about how you don't care about the topic. It didn't seem like you were agreeing, it seemed like you were knocking the field or topic in general.

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
Here in Alabama we had to get our NR back to keep our state card up. We were given a time frame to reregister and pay money to get NR back, it was called the Mark King something or another. So every 2 yrs I have to pay the state and NR.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
JohnMarcson said:
I will disclaim the following as pure personal opinion. I am in no way speaking for any department or agency. Should my job ever demand NREMT, I would obtain it. I will also say I like the employees of registry that I have had contact with. They were as fair to me as they could be and were over all great people. The idea behind the company, and that's is a company, is not alright with me at all.

It's a company that most states use for initial cert only now. I have a huge problem with a private company being the only major national testing for ems. Registry should be replaced by a real government agency or standard to administered by the states. Look at how few states use it for anything above the initial test. The latest laughable action from nremt is to make people redo the practical test at their refresher to somehow train them on the national curriculum. How redoing the same memorization style check outs makes you trained on the new curriculum I don't know. Just the latest going through the motions decision by nremt. The state of Ohio charges me nothing to renew my card every three years with CE requirements approved by my bosses, the tax payers. Registry wants cash every two years.

I also question if nremt testing meets requirements for learning disabilities that government tests follow. I said question, not assert... someone please prove me wrong here.

Come on.... it's 2013. The private better than nothing testing company is outdated. If we want to be treated as medical professionals it's time we demand real standardized testing and certifications. Nremt takes our money and does us a disservice. I dropped mine in 2002. My state card can be used to challenge nearly all the states' tests. There is only a handful of states left that require continued nremt. We deserve better.

I have made it no secret in this thread and threads past about my dislike for NREMT.

I also dont know if government can do it better. I will offer a counter. Look no further then the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (OPOTA) in London, OH. The standards there suck a bag of dicks. If you fail the PT test twice, you must redo the ENTIRE academy. So because someone cant run or do some sit-ups, you need to relearn the ORC, how to do a traffic stop, shoot, etc? Give me a break!

Take the Private Security Firearms class and test, again run by OPOTA. Your test is 4 questions with multiple parts. You are REQUIRED to get it word for word how OPOTA wants their answers. I put something stupid like "the" instead of "and" once by mistake and it got by the class instructor when they were grading. OPOTA held up my certification. This put me out of service/out of work for weeks (company only had armed accounts) because the instructor went on vacation and had to schedule a time to meet with me. I finally met him at a local McDonalds to retest and do it all correctly. Needless to say, I NEVER went back to his class again. However, how does writing a test answer word-for-word down how you want it matter in the field? It doesnt.

Both money grabs!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
FireEMSPolice said:
I have made it no secret in this thread and threads past about my dislike for NREMT.

I also dont know if government can do it better. I will offer a counter. Look no further then the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (OPOTA) in London, OH. The standards there suck a bag of dicks. If you fail the PT test twice, you must redo the ENTIRE academy. So because someone cant run or do some sit-ups, you need to relearn the ORC, how to do a traffic stop, shoot, etc? Give me a break!

Take the Private Security Firearms class and test, again run by OPOTA. Your test is 4 questions with multiple parts. You are REQUIRED to get it word for word how OPOTA wants their answers. I put something stupid like "the" instead of "and" once by mistake and it got by the class instructor when they were grading. OPOTA held up my certification. This put me out of service/out of work for weeks (company only had armed accounts) because the instructor went on vacation and had to schedule a time to meet with me. I finally met him at a local McDonalds to retest and do it all correctly. Needless to say, I NEVER went back to his class again. However, how does writing a test answer word-for-word down how you want it matter in the field? It doesnt.

Both money grabs!

I agree that there can be some big failures even with government tests. I don't know enough about OPOTA to argue if it's an apt example, but it's a state level example. As far as EMS, Even if it isn't a sweeping fix, I'd at least like a national testing standard and the private company removed from the driver's seat.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
JohnMarcson said:
I agree that there can be some big failures even with government tests. I don't know enough about OPOTA to argue if it's an apt example, but it's a state level example. As far as EMS, Even if it isn't a sweeping fix, I'd at least like a national testing standard and the private company removed from the driver's seat.

I, too would like a national testing standard, even for fire. This would make it so much easier to streamline things. Just as long as it makes sense and isnt stupid like OPOTA or NREMT is. EMS should be the same from state to state. Fighting fire should be the same as well.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
I cannot be an EMT in North Dakota because I didn't keep my national up. In MN you only have to pass it once and then just keep your state license up. So yeah, screw the NREMT!!!

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
I was certified as an ND EMT at 16 - younger than the minimum NREMT age. I took all the tests and everything, but they wouldn't certify me until I became 18. When that point reached, I had a year to become nationally certified or lose my license. I tried getting certified, but since the tests didn't count, they wanted me to re-take all the tests. I called our state office and the state just shook their head and said they'd take care of it.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Ohio has used NR as their certification test since the late 80's. Went I went through P school (1990), guys were saying that the fire chiefs were pushing to get rid of. I knew then that it wouldn't happen, and still can't see it happening with all the budget cut backs. With out National Registry, the state would have to hire people to write EMS certification tests, administer EMS tests, and hire people to grade them. Now then State of Ohio just tells the schools to mail them the class curriculum and the national registry certifications, then prints the cards. I'm afraid at some point, the state will go to a 2 year certification instead of 3 and just tell people to mail in their NR renewals...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
dustymedic said:
Ohio has used NR as their certification test since the late 80's. Went I went through P school (1990), guys were saying that the fire chiefs were pushing to get rid of. I knew then that it wouldn't happen, and still can't see it happening with all the budget cut backs. With out National Registry, the state would have to hire people to write EMS certification tests, administer EMS tests, and hire people to grade them. Now then State of Ohio just tells the schools to mail them the class curriculum and the national registry certifications, then prints the cards. I'm afraid at some point, the state will go to a 2 year certification instead of 3 and just tell people to mail in their NR renewals...

Ok, if they can hire boneheads to do this at OPOTA or the Fire Marshal's office to do this, they can establish something to do with EMS, or just delegate it to the Division of EMS thats already in place.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
EMT-BLS said:
I think the one thing all EMT's can agree on is that the NREMT is a incredibly useless organization. All they've done for me is made it harder to become an EMT because of the absurity of their testing style, and damn near impossible to study for. But as far as "having our back" with laws to protect EMS, or lobbying for anything crucial, I have yet to hear of them. With the amount of EMTs out there, shouldn't we be able to come together and create a organization that will lobby for us, help us when we need them, like the PBA for cops? Has anyone else with as much free time as me ever wondered about this?

Disclaimer: I live a hermit's life style, so it is entirely possible I am not aware of such an organization existing. If one does, please let me know without making me cry and needing to hug my teddy bear.

What is hard about NREMT? I passed my test first time through. Took me less than a 1/2 hour to take the test. I didn't use any tricks or gimmicks, I studied my book and had a good understanding of the material.

NREMT or any organization will never be successful on a National level as a whole because we cannot agree on standards. One state does this while another state does something completely different. NREMT is a good STARTING POINT and gives us EMT's a fall back if we are out of our area. Good for my company since we hold the FEMA contract and could be called to help in any disaster anywhere in the country.

It would be nice if the states could come together and agree on universal standards. Of course a good starting point would be to agree on a title for us. I am very passionate about telling people I am an EMT and making sure they understand. It is frustrating when you just explain to a patient that you are an EMT and not a Medic and then the doctor walks in and refers to you as Paramedic.

If it were up to me I would start with the title. Do away with EMT altogether and make us all "Paramedics". A Paramedic would be equivellant to a current AEMT. An Advanced Paramedic would be equivellant to what is currently an ALS Paramedic. Simplify the titles and come to universal agreement on that then you can work on universal protocols.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Mike L. said:
What is hard about NREMT? I passed my test first time through. Took me less than a 1/2 hour to take the test. I didn't use any tricks or gimmicks, I studied my book and had a good understanding of the material.

NREMT or any organization will never be successful on a National level as a whole because we cannot agree on standards. One state does this while another state does something completely different. NREMT is a good STARTING POINT and gives us EMT's a fall back if we are out of our area. Good for my company since we hold the FEMA contract and could be called to help in any disaster anywhere in the country.

It would be nice if the states could come together and agree on universal standards. Of course a good starting point would be to agree on a title for us. I am very passionate about telling people I am an EMT and making sure they understand. It is frustrating when you just explain to a patient that you are an EMT and not a Medic and then the doctor walks in and refers to you as Paramedic.

If it were up to me I would start with the title. Do away with EMT altogether and make us all "Paramedics". A Paramedic would be equivellant to a current AEMT. An Advanced Paramedic would be equivellant to what is currently an ALS Paramedic. Simplify the titles and come to universal agreement on that then you can work on universal protocols.
What any NR certified EMT can tell you for certain is that their style of testing is convoluted, pointless, and designed to make you fail. Where normal EMS is as much as adaption as following the guidelines, the NR is steadily ignoring that and ignoring the creativity of EMS.

Moving on to a bit more point-by-point format, I'll try to explain why you feel you are not correct with the above statement.

1) The NR should not, nor is it currently, be a true national standard, because, like you said, the states can't agree. So the logical answer would be a group of respected and multi-agency group of EMTs coming together and forcing the states to join in a concentrated effort to improve EMS training, testing, and real-world conditions. All the NR did was look around, dismiss everything that was currently going, and attempt to promote their own style of testing.

2) As far as the titles go, I find (and I mean no offense) that those who care what they referred to are often concerning themselves with nonsense, while not focusing on true issues. I can agree that levels of training should be cleaned up, and they should mean the same thing across the country. In my magical happy place, the levels would be as follows:

EMT

Paramedic.

That's it. No First Responder, No EMT-Intermediate, no EMT-Tactical...all of that is misleading, and is pointless. There definitely should be Continuing Education available to any EMT that so chooses...If I think I'd thrive in an environment with Active Shooter settings, then I should take additional training and be awarded my tactical patch. But no so that it makes me a new type of EMT...Just one that has additional training and experience. I'll gather my thoughts up fully later, after I leave work, and fully explain my idea(s).

Last edited by a moderator:

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
EMT-BLS said:
What any NR certified EMT can tell you for certain is that their style of testing is convoluted, pointless, and designed to make you fail. Where normal EMS is as much as adaption as following the guidelines, the NR is steadily ignoring that and ignoring the creativity of EMS.
Moving on to a bit more point-by-point format, I'll try to explain why you feel you are not correct with the above statement.

1) The NR should not, nor is it currently, be a true national standard, because, like you said, the states can't agree. So the logical answer would be a group of respected and multi-agency group of EMTs coming together and forcing the states to join in a concentrated effort to improve EMS training, testing, and real-world conditions. All the NR did was look around, dismiss everything that was currently going, and attempt to promote their own style of testing.

2) As far as the titles go, I find (and I mean no offense) that those who care what they referred to are often concerning themselves with nonsense, while not focusing on true issues. I can agree that levels of training should be cleaned up, and they should mean the same thing across the country. In my magical happy place, the levels would be as follows:

EMT

Paramedic.

That's it. No First Responder, No EMT-Intermediate, no EMT-Tactical...all of that is misleading, and is pointless. There definitely should be Continuing Education available to any EMT that so chooses...If I think I'd thrive in an environment with Active Shooter settings, then I should take additional training and be awarded my tactical patch. But no so that it makes me a new type of EMT...Just one that has additional training and experience. I'll gather my thoughts up fully later, after I leave work, and fully explain my idea(s).

I graduated my EMT with an ex-paramedic. He started in Canada with the RCMP, before moving to Washington, and finally here. He does very well in the field, is experienced, and knows a lot on the management side of things. Like Abe said, the NR test is designed so you have to follow a streamlined process to successfully answer it right. In the field, there isn't always a streamlined process. People do things differently and still achieve the same outcome. I, as a 16 year old, passed the NR test the first time(Although I didn't get NR certs). He, did not. It took him 3 times because of his experience and how he is used to doing anything. Do it their way or take the highway. Useless and nothing but a problematic hurdle for us.

I'd like to see First Responder, EMT, and Paramedic. Let EMT take the place of AEMTs, Paramedics would gain a little training, as would first responders. Personally I think ND is doing it right. You get your EMT. If you want a an advanced skill, like CPAP or combitube, you register for that class and get certified in it. No EMT-IV or whatever. Wanna become a tactical paramedic? Obtain your paramedic and then take tactical training. You'd still be a paramedic, however you have extra skills.

Another thing that pisses me off is the level of training the don't provide the military. Give them a bridge course to get the information they skipped and give them their AEMT or paramedic. I work with on on the streets and he is only certified as an EMT, however uses paramedic skills when on base or deployed. They skip a lot of things, but I think a bridge course would be more appropriate than making them take a full course over.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
EMT-BLS said:

Spot on here. That is not the first time I have heard that either. NREMT is designed to be one way and make you fail.

I will admit, I am a hands-on guy. I learn best that way and perform much better that way. Tests do nothing but make me freeze and ultimately fail. Thats what happened when I took my NREMT written test. After the 3rd time, I called it quits. I didnt fail by a wide margin either. The scores were nearly identical each time. While I blew my classmates away in practicals, the NREMT test ended my EMS aspirations. What pissed me off more was that there was a firefighter there and she was taking the test for the 11th time!! Unreal!

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
EMT-BLS said:

EMT

Paramedic.

I PERSONALLY don't feel the test is set up to make you fail. If you read the questions carefully and you know your material you will pass. In my EMT School, they have a 95% success rate of students passing the first time. I find that most people fail for one of two reasons a) they don't read the question or B) they make assumptions about the questions. I am NR Certified and have been since May of 2012. WA requires we take the NR test since there is no State Test. There is no requirement to maintain NREMT Certification though. Again, this is my PERSONAL opinion. It definately doesn't relate to field experience though.

As far as titles go, I really don't care what I am called. My uniform clearly has EMT on the patches. When I walk in it "hey the Medics are here". Even fire, other medics, and doctors call us medics. On an International level most countries call their EMS personnel "Paramedics". I don't even know if EMT is used outside the US. So if Paramedic seems to be the "norm" then why not have a Paramedic and an Advanced Paramedic. I think it would be less confusing for the public. Personally I think all EMTs should be trained to the AEMT level. Being able to interpret a 12 lead and start an IV as well as push some drugs would be more beneficial for the patient.

Here in WA there is a Statewide protocol followed by every county having their own protocols which may differ from the State. Then each department / company has their own protocol. That is too many hands in the Medical Director pot. Care, protocols and skills should be standardized.

Again I am only expressing MY experiences with the NREMT test and MY opinions. Not trying to start a flame war here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.