Request: Console Wiring Examples... also Paint Recommendation

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
Ok, background for a moment. Our city garage up fits our patrol cars. It take a month for one car and the quality is a mess. I'm being reassigned a newer CVPI and have been trying to get it setup my way, etc. Opened up the console this morning and the wiring is the worst I've seen in our cars. The others are hard to beat too.

This seemed like the best section to post in but wanted to see if you all who save photos could post a few of your console jobs for patrol cars that I could eventually use as evidence to show we need to go about setting up our cars in a drastically new way. I'm going to scour the Install forum but if you could help as well it'd save me some time as I work backs and I'm running in slow motion as the moment.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks. Update the title... kind of thought of a way to get the console reworked and wired. Going to try and scour through our old consoles for one to strip and refinish. I'm OCD and want the inside looking brand new. Any tips on a spray paint for the console? Factory finish was gray but looking to go black this round. Have considered the Rustoleum Professional Enamel in Flat Black but also considered a spray liner with a not too rough texture. What have you all used for such a project? Was leaning toward the liner to protect from my holster, flashlight, etc., but don't want it too thick or rough textured.

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
ryan81986 said:
Try Plasti-dip. It will make it look like brand new plastic. And the best part is, if you don't like it you can peel it right off.

How well does it hold up? This is going on an old Stewart Products (Havis) Total Access Console. Dunno if I care if it still looks like metal or looks like plastic, just wanna make sure it isn't gonna peel or chip should my holster or rifle catch it.

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
It should be ok as long as you put enough coats on it. I used it to coat my mirror caps and I haven't had any issues. And people use it to coat their rims.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
If the console's in good shape (straight), try to find someone to sandblast off the old paint. Get three cans of the following... Krylon grey primer, Rust-oleum multicolor textured (preferably Aged Iron), and Krylon semi-flat black (no exceptions).

Spray with primer (two coats & let dry thoroughly after 30 minutes), spray with Rust-oleum (go easy, you are gunning for the consistent texture, not the color.) Wait for it to dry thoroughly. If you have time, come back to it overnight. Finally with semi-flat, spray paint it lightly (two coats recommended) and you'll find yourself with a new console!

It doesn't hurt to practice on a piece of scrap wood or cardboard.

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
EVModules said:
If the console's in good shape (straight), try to find someone to sandblast off the old paint. Get three cans of the following... Krylon grey primer, Rust-oleum multicolor textured (preferably Aged Iron), and Krylon semi-flat black (no exceptions).

Spray with primer (two coats & let dry thoroughly after 30 minutes), spray with Rust-oleum (go easy, you are gunning for the consistent texture, not the color.) Wait for it to dry thoroughly. If you have time, come back to it overnight. Finally with semi-flat, spray paint it lightly (two coats recommended) and you'll find yourself with a new console!

It doesn't hurt to practice on a piece of scrap wood or cardboard.

Just described my plan as a buddy has a sandblasting booth. Just need to aquire a spare unused console and will get started. Thanks. Hoping if authorized, this will also create a window to rewire the damn thing when I am swapping out consoles.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
another option is spray-on bedliner for the inside. It's not real expensive, and it'll look great for years to come.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Here are some I found:

Member: code4services.com

11091d1319315561t-2011-charger-clean-roof-sany0074.jpg

11092d1319315561t-2011-charger-clean-roof-sany0087.jpg

Member: Andy L.

ai75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_alundborg_LakeshoreEO_DNR_200e3e0a79f5de8566eed9cabaeb0eb9dd8.jpgafarm3.static.flickr.com_2668_5855670288_cc62b55f72_z.jpg

afarm7.static.flickr.com_6166_6146237616_9060214716_z.jpg

Member: SafetyLighting

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t51_SafetyLighting_2012_20Caprice7e41934dc43ee822f59dffcd03d81d50.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t51_SafetyLighting_2012_20Caprice98ebe1705fd2b671f0925b9e9bb5f9c9.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t51_SafetyLighting_2012_20Caprice235b663112812309d4802064a6a88adc.jpg

Those are just a few, but I think it is a good starting point :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.