Rescue 1 boat

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
Today I installed an Edge 9000 8 strobe, Td, alleys, lo-pro speaker and an whelen sl100 siren on a rescue 1 dive boat for a neighboring dept. They wanted it done by the weekend because they protect Lake Martin here in central Alabama. And got paid extremely well for it $500, the bar was one we stripped off an old rescue and the siren was given to me new in box by my local whelen distributor, so all I had was time and 10 ft of wire and connectors. The chief also gave me some old lightbars, pics up tomorrow. Also the whelen guy gave me an 295SLSA6 free, he siad because he know I would tell others to come by from him, Emergency Lighting by Haynes which Haynes is also the local ambulance provider.

Pictures will follow tomorrow.

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
I was tired when I got home so that's why no pics. So here ya go.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_038.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_024.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_038.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_036.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_035.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_034.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_037.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_041.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_046.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_044.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_stuff_046.jpg

The light in the 10th picture is the nav light, it was sitting on the bar so I figured I'd better put it back on. The box for the siren and switches is an ammo-can, its the only thing I could find to seal the siren. Also I can get back to the connections if I need to. Thats me in the 2nd picture finishing up the wiring.

The name of the dept. is Kowaliga, Hank Williams wrote a song about this lake.

BigDog

Jun 24, 2010
Louisville,Ky
Just curious, is there a cover that goes over the siren/switch or does the lid for ammo can cover it. Looks nice and good use of surplus stuff...

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
Not the lid. The lid looks to be mounted on the bottom and the wire rand into there. I would also be curious to the cover to the siren head.

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
The cover is on the bottom so I can get to the wires, I would have still had to make a way for the switches to be mounted if I turned the box right side up. I will have to make a cover for the top.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Why is that little piece of red there on the right side in front, right there next to the black centerpiece?

GSPD

May 21, 2010
NY
As for radio/siren covers, I believe places like West Marine sell clear plastic flip top radio covers. That might be worth a look.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
amccullers said:
Which picture, I don't know what you are talking about.

Pic #1

It goes Clear Endcap/Red/White/Amber/???/Back Centerpiece [from the left side of the bar]. I was wondering what that was too.

It almost looks like the black centerpiece wasn't long enough so they added a small section of red lens.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Nice !!! LIke the lo pro speaker mounted on the bar. The only problem is where do you mount grille lights on a boat? lol

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
to scare the fishies :lol:

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
Well I learned last night that the lo-pro speaker almost blow off the boat, it was held on by one screw and the wire. So they are going to fabricate a plate on the front and I'm going to mount a different speaker. I was thinking of a motorcycle speaker, because they are 58 watt instead of 100 and it want be so loud.

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
We have the same boat along with another neighboring dept for our Regional Dive team and they both have the Able 1 low pro mini LED lightbar.

asweezy

May 20, 2010
Wellsville, NY
Think about it most boats dont have rearview mirrors so if you dont look behind you how to you know when the PD is attempting to have you stop with out a siren? Also I would not go with 58 Watt boats are noisy already and you will not hear that siren when its needed.

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
amccullers said:
Brian was that light put on by Rescue 1? The chief of this dept said they would put 1 on there but he couldn't tell me which one.

It must be what their standard lightbar is unless specified differently. Both boats are set up the same and ordered a year apart I think. Our boat was actually purchased by the county north of us by seized drug money but the team was disbanded and we purchased the boat with very little hours at about half the price. I'll see if I can get some pictures in the next day or 2

May 22, 2010
Central WV
emtmike said:
always wondered why a siren on a boat?

As someone said, a siren to get people to pay attention to you (stop or just get out of the way, especially in heavy water traffic). Also, the PA features on a siren come in pretty handy if something is going on on the water and you need to give the public instructions (usually to stay the heck away from you and to quit being being nosy).

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
looks good,only concern i have not related to the boat is whats up with those ladders over the office,looks like they are going to slide off the overhang

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Looks good. I know it sounds stupid, but a hat rain cover like we use on our 'smoky' hats would do in a pinch to cover the siren and switch switches until something else can be found. Or, get a plastic shield from a boat store that is used for make shift nav boxes (tinted plastic, will cover the back, both sides, and top while letting you access the controls from the front).

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I love those edge bars nice install. I love those bars so much that when i choose my unit in the morning i go on shift i take the unit with the Old Edge bar over the units with the led lighting in my opinion they look nicer. :cool:

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
aberfitchguy2472 said:
As someone said, a siren to get people to pay attention to you (stop or just get out of the way, especially in heavy water traffic). Also, the PA features on a siren come in pretty handy if something is going on on the water and you need to give the public instructions (usually to stay the heck away from you and to quit being being nosy).

+1!

We have some king of unknown PA system, maybe 15-20 watts max, and even with the 900 horse power revving behind, the PA goes pretty good distances over the water.

Being mounted high helps, though. about 15 feet high.

Paul

May 21, 2010
Arizona
amccullers said:
Well I learned last night that the lo-pro speaker almost blow off the boat, it was held on by one screw and the wire. So they are going to fabricate a plate on the front and I'm going to mount a different speaker. I was thinking of a motorcycle speaker, because they are 58 watt instead of 100 and it want be so loud.

I would stay away from 58W. I was out with the lake patrol deputies a few weeks ago and we were on a boat and had a deputy on another boat coming at us and he flipped the siren on and we could barely hear it as he went by us and it was 100W.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.