Responder mini lightbars, collect them all

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here are all the models I can find documented for responder mini lightbars.

respcompt.jpg
respthrutime.jpg

Last edited:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here is what I have on the wall now. The all strobe versions and some valubars are not shown and there are some others in boxes, mostly duplicates I think.

PXL_20220405_000541591.MP.jpgPXL_20220405_000509738.MP.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
All I can say is that's a really outstanding looking collection of lights. Thanks for posting the photo.
Thanks, I really need to continue cleaning and sorting. I found 4 all strobe versions, 3 gen 1 bars and 6 other later bars and another 2 valubars. Two of the bars have green domes and one has a split red/clear dome. They really deserve to be added to the display.

Reactions: ur20v

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Wow! I am very impressed! Please explain the difference of the Responder II and Responder DX to me.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Wow! I am very impressed! Please explain the difference of the Responder II and Responder DX to me.
I think DX is the move to the larger dome, but I will need to look at my catalogs some more.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
OK, thank you.
Responder "I" (there was no actual 1) was the "beacon", responder II was the first minibar (debuting in the early 1980s) and went through two dome and two rotator types while still being called responder II and respond-a-strobe, those being the only two models Whelen released in the smaller dome. Austin Electronics had a few variations in the later smaller dome style but their numbering remained more similar throughout all dome and rotator styles (see more below). The "dx" was simply the move to the larger dome (in 1995) that supported the two styles of advantedge rotators (and later a 4500 / delta style rotator) and model numbers started being assigned to the new versions being offered in numeric order. Model number r2dx was for the 2 rotator version. The 3 rotator version was r3dx and respond-a-strobe was r4dx at that time. Later when the dual strobe version arrived (around the time of the new advantedge rotators) it was dubbed "5dx". Much later at the end of the bar's lifespan the rotators were updated again and so were the strobes and the R6dx was offered which was the 5dx with updated strobes. A "heavy duty" metal base was offered and added "HD" to the model number. If you note a "M" or "P" attached to the model that was for magnet and permanent mount designation. The model numbers remained pretty consistent on the Whelen side even when the LED versions arrived (using the HD model prefix due to base style) in the 2007/2008 (Austin designation had been dropped in 1999). The rotator version was phased out somewhat recently, the guardian bar used larger rotators and carried the halogen rotating torch for a bit too.

Other models were offered via Austin Electronics primarily in amber. Their model numbers started with "AR" and "AS" depending on whether the bar was mostly rotators or strobes. The numbers loosely followed the number of internal components, in increments of 100, 200 and 300 but with some variations in the exact numbering when they deviated from what Whelen offered or when rotator types changed. The "DX change" at Austin simply changed the AR200 to the AR201. The next rotator change made the model number change again to AR302. Austin changes usually resulted in a numeric change in the ones place of the model number or an S in place of an R (strobe or rotator). You can essentially say that Austin Electronics offered Whelen's base model plus their own variations mostly utilizing their own model self contained 1000 strobe in place of the strobe portion Whelen was offering at the time. Post 1999 Austin Electronics was no longer the designation for the Whelen amber line and the offerings all merged back into one Whelen product line.

You can find exceptions digging through Austin literature but for the most part this is an accurate breakdown of what various model designations mean.

Pre-DX era
resp2s.JPG
resp4.JPG
resp6.JPG

DX era
dxstyles.JPG

resp9.JPG
respnew.JPG
resphd.JPG

Austin models (various ages)
resp16.JPG
resp12.JPG
aras2.JPG

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
This post reminds me of my collection of lp6105s i have.........so far its 2 blues and a red (even though one blue one is a shell and thinking of letting it go, unless i make it a 1 rotator with the mirrors on either side of the rotator)

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
John - thank you very much for the education! I appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

Matthew

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
John - thank you very much for the education! I appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

Matthew
No problem, I love these bars. But I have to reread the literature I have usually to keep my own collection straight. The Austin/Whelen overlap is probably the most confusing part, but also gave us some of the most interesting variations. I need to dig out all the responders I have and see which ones are exact duplicates and list a them for sale.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Wow, I thought it was just the PAR 36 strobe and then the 4x3 strobe, now I know just how many editions there are beyond that. I also didn't know that Whelen actually called the version with the strobe in the middle the "Respond-A-Strobe," I kinda thought that's just something we as a collecting community made up. I'm glad to see you have at least 1 of the first edition Respond-A-Strobes too, they're the coolest. I scooped 2 of them up when some guy was selling a bunch of them a couple years ago, and I haven't seen them for sale before or after that.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Wow, I thought it was just the PAR 36 strobe and then the 4x3 strobe, now I know just how many editions there are beyond that. I also didn't know that Whelen actually called the version with the strobe in the middle the "Respond-A-Strobe," I kinda thought that's just something we as a collecting community made up. I'm glad to see you have at least 1 of the first edition Respond-A-Strobes too, they're the coolest. I scooped 2 of them up when some guy was selling a bunch of them a couple years ago, and I haven't seen them for sale before or after that.
I actually bought a box of three or four generation one respond-a-strobes all together. I just display one but I'm hanging on to the others for now. I am in the process of photographing / videoing my responders so I can post an accurate depiction of my collection and the many variations. Once I have done that I may start selling some duplicates as well as make a better display. There are so many more types than I ever imagined when I started collecting. Right now I think I just need an AS200 model and I'd like some colored filters for the second generation smaller rotators. Other than that I think I'm pretty happy with my collection, but I might discover other areas that are lacking.

Reactions: lotsofbars

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I'm just gonna grab my popcorn and take a seat. HAHAH

JPstealth

Nov 11, 2018
North jersey
Here’s one that’s kind of on your list. A “heavy duty” version but labeled as a Val U Bar Which is pretty neat. Has fast rotators too.

The code matches your photos; R2HDP… except an extra P on the end. Any idea what that means?

PS that amber full size amber Val U Bar looks familiar lol. Wouldn’t happen to have cruise lights by chance? ;-)

Fantastic collection!!!

Attachments

• 36114D13-3824-4510-B6D8-81F2CE206A9B.jpeg
    36114D13-3824-4510-B6D8-81F2CE206A9B.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 11
  • D579F608-108C-4D0E-AAB0-A87887F62935.jpeg
    D579F608-108C-4D0E-AAB0-A87887F62935.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 56B5E4C0-65A9-4A8A-B437-276FBAD4EF15.jpeg
    56B5E4C0-65A9-4A8A-B437-276FBAD4EF15.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 9

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here’s one that’s kind of on your list. A “heavy duty” version but labeled as a Val U Bar Which is pretty neat. Has fast rotators too.

The code matches your photos; R2HDP… except an extra P on the end. Any idea what that means?

PS that amber full size amber Val U Bar looks familiar lol. Wouldn’t happen to have cruise lights by chance? ;-)

Fantastic collection!!!
The amber bar does have cruise lights...and I bet it does look familiar.

P is for permanent mount. Some of the last responder rotator bars in HD shared a base with the valuebar of that time. That is a very cool find, especially with fast rotators.

Here is the valubar with cruise lights

In my possession

At it's previous home

JPstealth

Nov 11, 2018
North jersey
The amber bar does have cruise lights...and I bet it does look familiar.

P is for permanent mount. Some of the last responder rotator bars in HD shared a base with the valuebar of that time. That is a very cool find, especially with fast rotators.

Here is the valubar with cruise lights

In my possession

At it's previous home
Very cool! Bar Looks better with you anyway!

Here’s a video of the mini val u bar (HD responder). And I may stand corrected, I don’t know if it is the fast rotators but definitely not the slow ones; maybe med-fast if there is such a thing?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Very cool! Bar Looks better with you anyway!

Here’s a video of the mini val u bar (HD responder). And I may stand corrected, I don’t know if it is the fast rotators but definitely not the slow ones; maybe med-fast if there is such a thing?

Nice looking little bar, I love responder split domes. I should video some split domes next to clear domes with the same color filters to show the difference. There is a degree of variation in the rotation speed of the "last gen" rotators from Whelen, but I don't think those technically had a fast and slow version.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'm not very familiar with these lights but nevertheless impressed with the model diversity and the impressive collection. I think it's time to open a museum! :D

I think I'm down to just needing this one.... maybe another I missed based on rotator style.

picaus.JPG

Reactions: fp13-2

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Any of those duplicates for sale????
Duplicates? What duplicates? Actually I do have a few duplicates, any specific bar your are looking for?

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
Duplicates? What duplicates? Actually I do have a few duplicates, any specific bar your are looking for?

You mentioned having duplicate responders. I am beginning to collect those specifically. But I collect dashlights and mini roof bars mostly.

So I thought I'd ask if any were for sale.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
You mentioned having duplicate responders. I am beginning to collect those specifically. But I collect dashlights and mini roof bars mostly.

So I thought I'd ask if any were for sale.
I have some of the R2DX (2 rotator with mirror) models with the GEN 3 "brushless" rotator that are essentially new and unmounted. I think they are amber. Those I generally sell for $150ish depending on hardware, cords, labeling etc and which amber color, (yes it varied from year to year), and I might have a clear dome version with filters; I sell them for more and they usually depend on the filter color. I honestly have to take better inventory.

respbl.JPGbrushless.JPG

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
John,

If you decide to get rid of one of one of the clear dome with R/B filters, lemme know. Might be interested depending on price or trade.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
John,

If you decide to get rid of one of one of the clear dome with R/B filters, lemme know. Might be interested depending on price or trade.
Ok, I think I may have a duplicate one of those, I'll have to check.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
I have most of the newer stuff....the two and three rotator, and a center strobe mounted one.

I'm just looking for the more older or rare versions now.

I just got a red dome 3 rotator, and I'm putting a clear dome on it, with red and blue filters, leaving the center clear.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Do you happen to have any duplicates in the R9HD or R10HD series?
I don't have many HD ones. I had decided they were too new to add to the collection but recently changed my mind.

Reactions: StEaLtH2

BryanB

Jul 2, 2010
Central NJ
Picked up this Austin Responder DX over the weekend for $5. Adding it to my FS Highliter and Respond-A-Strobe bar I already have. Has anyone used LED bulbs or something in these to cut the amp draw? Would love to not have to drag out the heavy 20A Astron power supply when I want to play.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Picked up this Austin Responder DX over the weekend for $5. Adding it to my FS Highliter and Respond-A-Strobe bar I already have. Has anyone used LED bulbs or something in these to cut the amp draw? Would love to not have to drag out the heavy 20A Astron power supply when I want to play.
I have not seen a LED version of the "pin style" (this type of rotator) or the "SN style" in the next gen rotators.

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia

LEDs in halogen/incandescent reflector housings, whether headlights, taillights, or beacons for the most part suck, with very little exception. Might be ok for a display light on the shelf, but not as warning equipment.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.