Restored 1988 & 1996 Houston PD cars

Citabria7GCBC

May 21, 2010
Houston Texas
The 1996 was completed in April 2018 and I plan taking it to DC for police week in May.

The 1988 is nearing completion but I still need to install emergency lights (Jetsonic) and siren.

For the record I am an HPD Officer and the car restorations have been authorized directly by the Chief of Police.

I’ve also started an Instagram page: VintageHPD

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I remember them both. They look great. (I still have a nephew on the force there.)

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I could never get over that mix of colors in the strobe bars they used, but hey... period correct is period correct. Beautiful graphics and paint job on the '88 too.

Reactions: Citabria7GCBC

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I don't think it's anybody's concern whether or not you have "permission" from the chief, since you aren't breaking any laws in restoring a vintage police car. Second, they look great.

Third, is it just the lighting, or is the 1988 a lighter shade of blue than the 1996? Or is it just the lighting when the photograph was taken?

Looking good. Looking very good.

Citabria7GCBC

May 21, 2010
Houston Texas
I don't think it's anybody's concern whether or not you have "permission" from the chief, since you aren't breaking any laws in restoring a vintage police car. Second, they look great.

Third, is it just the lighting, or is the 1988 a lighter shade of blue than the 1996? Or is it just the lighting when the photograph was taken?

Looking good. Looking very good.

The 1988 is a lighter shade of blue. The 1980s went through several lighter shades and they darkened it up in the 90s.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.