Restored - Honolulu PD Super Beacon Ray 174

Same type of light made famous in the original Hawaii Five-O!  Had to replace pilot light post and bulb.  But otherwise works well!

Last edited by a moderator:

7d9_z28

Gold Supporter
That is awesome!

OP
OP
W

warubozu47

YOU DOG!!!!

You got one!!!!!!!

Verrrry nice!!!!!
LOL, I wonder if there are any others floating about...  If I find another, it'll have your name one it sir!

ERIC6913

Premium Member
Wow, now i have finally seen one! I remember talking to John Dorgan about these models and how he was trying to acquire one from a guy he knew.

OP
OP
W

warubozu47

Can you please post a photo of this light with them dome off? I would like to see the inner workings of the cruise light. Thanks!
Can do when I get back from San Diego in Jan.

OP
OP
W

warubozu47

San Diego?? You know i only live one hour north of there!
Yeah, parents moved up 20 years ago.  So I try and make it up every winter (put up christmas lights, etc).  If youre an hour up north, i'd guess the Laguna area?

u387962

Premium Member
If possible can we see a photo of this light with the dome off? I am interested in seeing the cruise light and how it was mounted to the Beacon Ray base.

Thanks!

dmathieu

Premium Member
I remember John Dorgan searching for this light. There was a special 174 number designated, I believe.

Maxim2Eng

Premium Member
Platinum Supporter
I was speaking with Mr. Dorgan (RIP) about the Honolulu 174 about 20+ years ago and I vaguely recall he thought FedSig stamped it 174H. Now that's a Holy Grail item!

RyanZ71

Very very cool. Wonder what the point was with that back and forth pattern instead of a full rotation?

shues

Lifetime VIP Supporter
The benefits of the oscillation of the model 174 have been discussed here before. To put it in a somewhat more modern context, consider the effectiveness of the Magnabeam versus the Firebeam.

If I recall correctly, the 176 came out some years after the 174 for applications where the an oscillating beacon would not necessarily be desired.

Maxim2Eng

Premium Member
Platinum Supporter

Phillyrube

The benefits of the oscillation of the model 174 have been discussed here before. To put it in a somewhat more modern context, consider the effectiveness of the Magnabeam versus the Firebeam.

If I recall correctly, the 176 came out some years after the 174 for applications where the an oscillating beacon would not necessarily be desired.
Do you have the thread on that? Just searched for 30 minutes and could not find anything.

dmathieu

Premium Member
I can tell you that Federal Signal advertised the MagnaBeam oscillator as being 3 X as effective as a rotating light (of the same flash rate) because of the dwell created by oscillating back and forth instead of rotating all the way around.
I'll check my old Super Beacon Ray 174 literature for more.

dmathieu

Premium Member
In Federal Sign and Signal's first 174 ad in May of 1958, they say the following:
The new Super Beacon Ray Model #174 is a four-way 360 degree revolving warning light. It does not revolve continuously. It revolves through 95 degrees and reverses to produce an "off beat" irregular flash of increased intensity.
The Super Beacon Ray revolves more slowly than conventional beacons, almost doubling the beam's effectiveness.........

Phillyrube

Have always liked oscillating lights. Last two ambos I helped spec we put the new flush mount Rotabeams in the center white light. Couldn't get the dept to spring for 888s but Rotabeams do well.

Rampart51

Registered Member
Good morning,guys! Coming from work and relaxing at home I saw that beauty oscillating in front of me after I open the YouTube app... Gosh! That's old school! Many moons behind(when I was a kid)I saw quite a few cadillac ambulances using the F.S. 174 with red dome... let tell you,my friend,that was God's heaven.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chief butch
Top Bottom