Restored - Honolulu PD Super Beacon Ray 174

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
That is awesome!

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Can you please post a photo of this light with them dome off? I would like to see the inner workings of the cruise light. Thanks!
Can do when I get back from San Diego in Jan.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
San Diego?? You know i only live one hour north of there!
Yeah, parents moved up 20 years ago.  So I try and make it up every winter (put up christmas lights, etc).  If youre an hour up north, i'd guess the Laguna area?

u387962

May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
If possible can we see a photo of this light with the dome off? I am interested in seeing the cruise light and how it was mounted to the Beacon Ray base.

Thanks!

Reactions: badge22

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The benefits of the oscillation of the model 174 have been discussed here before. To put it in a somewhat more modern context, consider the effectiveness of the Magnabeam versus the Firebeam.

If I recall correctly, the 176 came out some years after the 174 for applications where the an oscillating beacon would not necessarily be desired.

Reactions: warubozu47

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
The benefits of the oscillation of the model 174 have been discussed here before. To put it in a somewhat more modern context, consider the effectiveness of the Magnabeam versus the Firebeam.

If I recall correctly, the 176 came out some years after the 174 for applications where the an oscillating beacon would not necessarily be desired.

Do you have the thread on that? Just searched for 30 minutes and could not find anything.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I can tell you that Federal Signal advertised the MagnaBeam oscillator as being 3 X as effective as a rotating light (of the same flash rate) because of the dwell created by oscillating back and forth instead of rotating all the way around.
I'll check my old Super Beacon Ray 174 literature for more.

Reactions: Phillyrube

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
In Federal Sign and Signal's first 174 ad in May of 1958, they say the following:
The new Super Beacon Ray Model #174 is a four-way 360 degree revolving warning light. It does not revolve continuously. It revolves through 95 degrees and reverses to produce an "off beat" irregular flash of increased intensity.
The Super Beacon Ray revolves more slowly than conventional beacons, almost doubling the beam's effectiveness.........

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Have always liked oscillating lights. Last two ambos I helped spec we put the new flush mount Rotabeams in the center white light. Couldn't get the dept to spring for 888s but Rotabeams do well.

Rampart51

Aug 20, 2018
Tulsa,OK
Good morning,guys! Coming from work and relaxing at home I saw that beauty oscillating in front of me after I open the YouTube app... Gosh! That's old school! Many moons behind(when I was a kid)I saw quite a few cadillac ambulances using the F.S. 174 with red dome... let tell you,my friend,that was God's heaven.

Reactions: Phillyrube

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.