Restoring some XL domes

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
I promised I would upload some progress pics as I work on restoring an XL bar for a customer here.

The domes were pretty hazy giving them a much more crazed appearance than actually was.

So far one is completely wet sanded and polished and I was quite pleased that it came out as clear as it did.

[Broken External Image]:http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/45737/2361358020103563214S600x600Q85.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/46319/2718612560103563214S600x600Q85.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/6153/2220845490103563214S600x600Q85.jpg

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
Very nice.

Those are some of the easiest domes to work with because of their shape.

When I buff them, I put them on the bar, then flip it upside down and start with the bottoms.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
What method have you used? I have an XL bar with okay domes but I'd like to give them an "extra mile" finish.

Beautiful results! :D

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
I use a process that many would find too tedious, but it what I found to work with near perfect results.

I use a polishing kit that is used for polishing lacquer paint on model cars sprayed with an airbrush.

The kit contains grits that are cloth backed ranging from 1800 to 12000 grit. I have been busted numerous times but I think the results speak for themselves.

It takes about 3 hours to do a set of domes using wet sanding. I use a drop or two of dish soap as I start each grit.

I follow up with the poweball and plastx and then with some hand applied liquid car wax.

Everyone has their own method, I am comfortable with mine. The only drawback is that what I do does not take out significant scratches but it certainly does improve them.

Every twinsonic dome in my collection had had this done to them. They really do shine and some came back from the brink.

I have to look for the link, I think the kit costs about $25 but it lasts forever. The fact that the sand grit is cloth backed really helps.

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
Thanks!

I was lucky, these domes were free from most if not all major blemishes and scratches, making them really look nice when done.

I should also mention, I also use plast-x and the powerball on the insides of the domes as well.

Stay tuned, this will be a less than common XL bar.

ELBSirens.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.