Review: 5.11 Light for Life

mfaith91

May 23, 2010
Kentucky
aep.yimg.com_ca_I_policestuff_2089_344554727.gif

I purchased my original light in September.

The Good: After the initial overnight charge (12 hours) the light REALLY DOES charge in 90 seconds. It has a cool charger that is easily mounted in your cruiser. Press the button once, and you get bright. Continue to press the button, and you get super bright. Double click the light quickly, and you get a seizure inducing flashing light that is spectacular at night time with the optional orange cone.

The Bad: After about a month of use, the charger base stopped working. Fuse was good in the plug, just quit working. Customer service was horrendous on getting the unit replaced. After about 20 emails, and several phone calls, finally made contact with a young lady that promised to get it taken care of (This was from mid October to just before Christmas). Once the Fedex label was emailed to me, they promised to go ahead and pre-ship the replacement due to the number of issues- BUT the shipping warehouse was shut down until the second week of January for inventory purposes. Finally received the replacement today. Guess what- it works! (Yay!)

The Ugly: The "Accessories" for this light are few. You cannot just use any old orange cone it requires a hexagonal shaped cone and specialized rubber ring to hold it on the end of the light (the old style cones for like our mag lights IMO are easier to carry around in your door pocket- now I have to keep track of the cone AND rubber ring). The cone kit comes with some colored "filters" to put into the light- but still requires the special rubber ring to hold them in (filters). I don't need the filters... so they'll get file 13'ed.

All in all- a great light to have. I still like my LED Mag light, but I don't have to worry about replacing batteries, and the LFL is much lighter that the rechargeable mag light.

Scale- 1 to 10....

Useability: 9

Functionality: 9

Durability: 5 (Definiately will not double as a baton)

Customer Service: 3

Overall Score: 6.5

Customer service killed it on this one folks- for a buck and a half investment, and the promise of being the "last light you'll ever by" I felt a little short changed.

Disclaimor: These are my opinion(s) and my opinion(s) only.

Mike

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Please read the rules section and/or all stickies in this section and update this thread accordingly. Please pay special attention to format requirements. Thanks for taking the time to help make this section easier to use and more useful.

Format Guidelines

Users must disclose the circumstances under which they have come to review the item/product. This includes, but is not limited to, disclosure of compensation.

Must contain-Name, brand and model number of item

Must contain-A detailed description of the product including how it is used.

Must contain-A "rating" of the product

Should contain-Links to the manufacturer web site

Must contain-Pictures and/or videos

Must be formatted according to information provided in/on reviews section

Posts in this section require mod approval to show up.

Please allow time for your post to be reviewed by staff.

Replies to reviews may only be questions or answers about the product reviewed.

Do not
reply to someone else's review with your own review or opinion of the product

Example

Title/Name of item
- Fake Light

Manufacturer - Marcson Tech

Model Number - 911-72

Link to manufacturer - http://www.elightbars.org/forums/example

How/why you got it - Made it up

Purpose/Description - This is a self contained 360 degree strobe. It is taller than.... blah blah blah, lots of details.

How you tested it/results - I mounted it on my invisible car in -40 and drove at 90mph for 16 hrs. It failed after the first 2 hrs.

Rating (1-10, 10 is best)

• Durability 2
  • Performance/Usefulness 1
  • Innovation 1
  • Appearance 4
  • Price 7
  • Other (shipping) 3

Total 3

Picture(s)/video(s)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.