Review of Zheng's 16" / 9000 Lumens off road Lightbar

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
I just recieved my Zheng 16" Off Road lightbar. I will be doing this review in 3 parts, Part 1 is initial thoughts, Part 2 is going to be night comparisons, between factory headlights on a 2009 Ram, the off road light bar, and a pair of Hellas.

Part 1:

Title/Name of item - 16" Off Road Lightbar

Manufacturer - Zheng Liyue

Model Number - n/a

Link to manufacturer -http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/16-9000-lumens-off-road-lightbar-35329/

How/why you got it - I purchased this light because I wasn't happy with the performance of the Hellas. They are too directionally focused, which doesn't allow me to watch the ditches for moose. Moose are the #1 cause of fatal accidents in Newfoundland.

Purpose/Description - This light was custom made for me with 6 (a), 15 ( B) and 30 9© degree optics. The bar is set up as follows: c b a b c. This light will be mounted on the front of my truck to replace the Hellas that I have, provided night time shots show a distinct improvement. I don't need the throw of the Hellas, although it is nice, I need a more wide spread light. I briefly tested it by shining the light on the wall, and the spread does appear better. I noticed some minor issues with the light, which will be illustrated in the pictures below. I am being extremely picky, because this is a honest review...I did not receive a terribly good deal on the bar, but as MSRP is not yet posted, Zheng asked me to keep the price between him and I.

Pros:

-well packaged, wrapped in about 10 feet of bubble wrap, covered in wrapping paper, and every inch of it was taped. There was no way the light could fall out of the package.

-Appears to be a solid construction (body and mounting feet)

-very bright, too bright to look at, it overwhelmed by Canon Rebel T3i DSLR camera

-long wire, approx 10'

Cons

-rear heat sink is not supported in the middle of the light

-white silicone used instead of clear, not evenly applied.

-wire is black and brown, not the standard black and red

-attached L brackets are secured with just a nut, no lock washer

-LED lenses are black and white, not consistent

Part 1 rating

Rating (1-10, 10 is best)

Durability 6 - concerned about heat sinks vibrating and failing long term

Performance/Usefulness 8

Innovation 7 - I'll give credit for the external heatsinks for the high powered LEDs

Appearance 4 - the different colour lenses make it lose a lot of points, as well as the silicone.

Price n/a

Other (shipping) 9

Total 7

Overall, this light looks like it'll do the job. Review Part 2 will give the rest of the details on light output, and Part 3 will look into it's durability over a 6900km/4300 mile road trip.

Packaging:

ai142.photobucket.com_albums_r81_AuxBigWil_Off_20road_20light_IMG_0391_zpsc41f312f.jpg

Package opened, you can see the lense colours on this picture

ai142.photobucket.com_albums_r81_AuxBigWil_Off_20road_20light_IMG_0393_zps34fc0b5f.jpg

You can see the silicone here:

ai142.photobucket.com_albums_r81_AuxBigWil_Off_20road_20light_IMG_0395_zpsad09c7be.jpg

Heat sink:

ai142.photobucket.com_albums_r81_AuxBigWil_Off_20road_20light_IMG_0400_zpsaf7031a8.jpg

ai142.photobucket.com_albums_r81_AuxBigWil_Off_20road_20light_IMG_0399_zps6813c2e1.jpg

Light on, aimed directly at camera:

ai142.photobucket.com_albums_r81_AuxBigWil_Off_20road_20light_IMG_0408_zps3a122b2a.jpg

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
Thank you will!!!!!!

I am sorry for the issues, and we will handle them in the mass production version.

We have pure color lens will use them in most case.

and I have designed new parts to avoid the white silcon.

Looking forward to see the part2 and 3!

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
We ran into some serious issues with the light while preparing to take pictures tonight. 2 entire segments are no longer lighting up. I was disappointed, and did not take pictures. However, with only 3 of the 5 segments working, the light still overpowered a set of Hellas, with better light output to the sides.

I have already been in contact with Zheng, and he is dealing with the issue with true professionalism. Even though this light is defective, I will still do business with him. I'll post more pictures and further reviews after this unfortunate situation is dealt with.

Zheng Liyue

Jul 18, 2011
Beijing,China
Thank you very much Will.

Tonight we have focused the cause and solved it.

When you are back from the trip, you will find a new package waiting for you. Enjoy it then!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Has the heat sink been tested or proven in an automotive setting? How much clearance is needed from it? How hot does it get?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I have personally let mine run for about 30 minutes and was able to still touch the heat sink. The lens was warm, but did not scold me. You certainly feel heat coming offf the light with your hand just in front of it so I am assuming it is doing its job. As far as testing it in an automotive format... once I get one that is functioning properly, it will be mounted in the grill of my crown victoria. The light will be expose to the extreme heat coming off of my car in the Florida heat. Keep in mind that my car will idle for extended periods of time due to it being a K-9 vehicle. It will be used and abused and put through its paces. I will post my addendum to this review in regards to this once I am able to properly test it.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Took mine to an open field about a quarter mile long and wide. Lit the whole thing up. Its a very impressive light. Mine will be going on our small water rescue boat for a search/work light.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I had the same issue as wil with mine. Cannot wait for the replacement - even with 3 segments not working it was very very bright!!!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Quick and dirty update as I'm not near internet. (Go galaxys3 post!)

Received my replacement earlier this week. Was damaged in transit but still workable... so... it's at a lakefront cottage with me.

Even with rain sleet and light fog I can light up across the bay - 1km from the lights location. I can make out trees and land on the other side.

Pointed further out, (2km) I can *just* make out some visible glint on a light colored cottage. Binoculars xonformed this. With a camera I can see trees lit up as well around the cottage.

This is a very rural cottage lake, with only one cottage with lights on- I pointed the light testing the other way.

Overall very impressed. Light tested was a combo spot flood bar. I can only imagine how impressive it'd be with no precipitation in the air, or with a spot oonly beam.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Break in the bad weather. Sky partially overcast. Can see visible light clearly 2 km across the lake. Camera photos confirm.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Az_Medic said:
It really bothers me that the heat sink is that big? Does rigid or others require this in their bars?

Since a question was asked about Rigid, this is my input.

No, Rigid Industries is a completely sealed unit and has noting exposed to the elements, the heat sink is the case. As people say about Whelen or Federal Signal, you are better buying the real American made product. I have owned a set of Rigid Duallys since 2010 and they have never failed me with probably 100 hours of use. Out of 4 sets of Duallys and a 10" bar, I have only had one problem with one light getting moisture inside, they replaced it ASAP. You get what you pay for and Rigid is proven to be bulletproof, literally.

boboloo

Jun 5, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
I have a Zheng's 16" light bar coming. It is in the mail.

I would like to start routing wires and find a place for the switch. I may have a place for a switch. Can someone help with wire size and a possible access in the bulkhead?

2006 Toyota Sequoia SR5

Possible place for switch: There are two oval switches, my truck does not have the option for the oval switch on the right. Is is just a blank. I could easily put a switch there. Anyone have an idea for a switch that would look nice in that spot?

switch.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.