RF interference?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have a Chrysler vehicle about 10 years old. I had purchased an adapter online to add an input to the factory stereo. The adaptor has an inline box that tricks the radio into thinking their is an external disc changer so audio can be input. I have it powered from a switch that turns on phone chargers and power outlets.

My issue is that when I turn the power switch on it screws with the electronics of my car. The vehicle seems to run some type of self diagnostic test after I push the power switch. Vehicle console back lights will brighten up for a few seconds, the headlights will illuminate for a second and often the check engine light will come on.

After lots of troubleshooting I narrowed it down to the input adapter. After unplugging it from the stereo the issues were eliminated. I tried wrapping the box in aluminum foil as a shield but that did not fix it (just the box, not the wiring, gotta remove a lot to get to all that).

Any idea if it is RF interfearence or other things to troubleshoot with it? It plugs directly into the back of the stereo. It does need an external constant power but I hooked that up to dedicated aftermarket wiring/switch. I cant imagine it feeding back issues into the radio that somehow cause the issues I am having. I am good with electrical but not issues relating to radiowaves/rf interfearence. I really like having the audio input so I will put some effort into this. The only other 2 things I can think of to do is remove the unit from the vehicle, running it straight off the back of the radio into the cabin (to keep it away from any factory wiring) to see if it still interferes or wrap all wiring in aluminum foil as a shield.

Thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

I don't know if this is the exact unit for my vehicle but here is a link to the type of unit that looks the same as what I am using for reference.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Throw a ferrite bead on each end.if.that doesn't help, could just be cheap Hong Kong components..

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
The adapter has a separate wire from the harness for constant power that must be hooked up. I did not want to cut into the stereo harness for power especially when I have a separate available system. How could/would a power switch negatively effect/cause the issues with the vehicles systems?

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
The adapter has a separate wire from the harness for constant power that must be hooked up. I did not want to cut into the stereo harness for power especially when I have a separate available system. How could/would a power switch negatively effect/cause the issues with the vehicles systems?
Well, the directions specify constant power, and the problem only occurs when you’re flipping the switch

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
When I run errands or go to the store/gas station I leave the switch on. When I get back in the car and start it it does the same thing but I didnt cut the power to the adapter. So the issue is not in flipping the switch but when on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.