Rocker switch question

occram

Sep 22, 2010
New Jersey
Does anyone know if there is any kind of switch I can get that will give me 4 positions?

I need something that does "OFF/1/2/1+2" or a switch that will at very least do "OFF/1/1+2". I don't have any room for another switch but need to control from and rear HAWs independently.

I can't seem to find something like this anywhere. I know it's probably because it doesn't exist. I'm just asking on the off chance someone knows of such a contraption.

Thanks,

Occram~

bsr26

Sep 17, 2010
Charleston, SC
The second option is easily done with a DPDT rocker, it would be setup as 1/OFF/1+2. It is how I have my leds set up in my POV right now.

occram

Sep 22, 2010
New Jersey
I checked Wikipedia, and DPDT means Double pole, double throw. Does that mean it's a single switch or two switches?! Does the internal workings of the switch take care of it or would I have to wire both lights to one pole, and just one of them to the other? I'm quite ill-prepared when it comes to electrical diagrams and terminology...

Thanks MUCH in advance,

Occram~

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
bsr26 is talking about one single DPDT switch. The switch that I provided a picture of is actually two separate SPST switches in the same body.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
If you need more than three positions (off being one of the positions), have you thought about a rotary switch? They can go up to 12 positions if done right!

sephora99

Oct 6, 2010
Connecticut, USA
DPDT means Double Pole Double Throw. The DT (Double Throw) means that it can be switched in two directions rather than just on or off. Many double throw switches will have an off position in the middle while having separate on positions at either side of the rocker. The DP (Double Pole) means simple that there are two separate circuits being operated instead of one. Where a normal (non-lighted) single pole rocker switch would have two terminals for the switch. A double pole switch would have 4, making two separate circuits when the switch is thrown. When you add the double throw on there, you will most likely wind up with 6 terminals (2 rows of 3). In standard configurations the center terminals in each row will be the main power feed and the terminals at either end will be the connection from the main power feed for either end of the rocker switch.

For what you are talking about in the second option, you would want a DPDT rocker switch and should wire it as follows. Assuming you count the terminals from top to bottom and left to right that will give you

1 4

2 5

3 6

Connect the main power to terminal 2 or 5 and jumper the terminals together. Jumper terminals 1 and 3 together and connect 3 to your #1 source (the one you want to operate on both sides of the switch). connect terminal 6 to your #2 source (the one you want to work only on one side). Then when you push the switch up it will only operate circuit 1 while pushing the switch down will operate both circuits. If you have different power supply wires for each circuit you can forget the jumper between terminals 2 and 5 connecting the power source for #1 to terminal 2 and the power source for #2 to terminal 5.

Forgive me if this gets down to a much lower level than you needed but maybe it will help somebody out. Though personally, if anyone here needs this much explanation then they should really do more learning before trying to wire things up. I have responded to a lot of vehicle fires from bad aftermarket electronic installations.

sephora99

Oct 6, 2010
Connecticut, USA
I was a little apprehensive in some of the ways I explained myself above simply because I made some assumptions about the switch contact positions which could vary between switch manufacturers. I was assuming a typical DPDT on-off-on switch which usually has a standard configuration of the power feed being the middle terminal and the end terminals (top and bottom) being the current contact position for the respective flip of the switch.

I read your link and it seems to follow exactly what I was saying, while being more general as opposed to my trying to answer this particular question. If I am indeed wrong I would be happy to correct my entry but I would be guessing at this point that it is more likely some wording that is being misinterpreted. Please let me know what you feel is inaccurate, at the very least I can re-word it more clearly.

Thanks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.