rota beam rbII with new custom dome

kohan25

I have a couple of rota beams i am refurbishing but they came with gaskets and no domes. I was having a hard time trying to get domes so thought about what light i could use that would have a similar dome. This was an easy inexpensive solution. Those cheap rotary lights with the 3 color domes that screw on was the solution. Paid under 20. for the light with domes. Cut the bases off and drilled holes for new pins and I think it looks pretty good.
20190106_054652.jpg 20190106_054630.jpg

tsquale

Site Minion
Platinum Supporter
I love seeing repurposing like this! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to prevent things from being thrown away.

:Insert demand for video here:

BLUELIGHT

Established Member
I have a couple of rota beams i am refurbishing but they came with gaskets and no domes. I was having a hard time trying to get domes so thought about what light i could use that would have a similar dome. This was an easy inexpensive solution. Those cheap rotary lights with the 3 color domes that screw on was the solution. Paid under 20. for the light with domes. Cut the bases off and drilled holes for new pins and I think it looks pretty good.
View attachment 216107 View attachment 216108
Can't say as I have seen the cheap lights you describe. How were they listed?

stansdds

Veteran Member
That is quite creative and a way to put old Rota-Beams back into service or make them interesting conversation items... not that anyone but us would talk about them, but still.

OP
OP
kohan25

kohan25

i also thought it looked like a mini federal after i made it. it kind of grows on you. i have another one to do and have red and amber domes.
the pins i made using hilock fasteners and collars which i had from work. must be done carefully or you can crack the dome.

OP
OP
kohan25
these are the hi locks i used to make the pins. the ends have allen keys so i tighten collar just enough where it is snug on the dome because it is a cheap one and then use a pair of dikes to snip off the collar nut.
here is the red one i did. 20190116_144803.jpg 20190116_145724.jpg 20190117_055458.jpg

This looks great. The socket and pins look lower than on the factory light, did you have to lower the bulb socket down to get the dome to fit? This would prohibit proper focal point of the bulb filament in the center of the magnifying glass lens. I'm not criticizing, just making an observation, and inquiry.

OP
OP
kohan25
yes dan. good observation. the dome is smaller in length after i cut the base off so i had to adjust the bulb holder down as far as i could to make everything work. also cut a little off the top of the bulb posts

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Latest posts

Latest Listings

Top Bottom