rota beam rbII with new custom dome

kohan25

Jun 23, 2010
Oxford, CT.
I have a couple of rota beams i am refurbishing but they came with gaskets and no domes. I was having a hard time trying to get domes so thought about what light i could use that would have a similar dome. This was an easy inexpensive solution. Those cheap rotary lights with the 3 color domes that screw on was the solution. Paid under 20. for the light with domes. Cut the bases off and drilled holes for new pins and I think it looks pretty good.
20190106_054652.jpg20190106_054630.jpg

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I love seeing repurposing like this! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to prevent things from being thrown away.

:Insert demand for video here:

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
I have a couple of rota beams i am refurbishing but they came with gaskets and no domes. I was having a hard time trying to get domes so thought about what light i could use that would have a similar dome. This was an easy inexpensive solution. Those cheap rotary lights with the 3 color domes that screw on was the solution. Paid under 20. for the light with domes. Cut the bases off and drilled holes for new pins and I think it looks pretty good.
View attachment 216107View attachment 216108
Can't say as I have seen the cheap lights you describe. How were they listed?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That is quite creative and a way to put old Rota-Beams back into service or make them interesting conversation items... not that anyone but us would talk about them, but still.

kohan25

Jun 23, 2010
Oxford, CT.
i also thought it looked like a mini federal after i made it. it kind of grows on you. i have another one to do and have red and amber domes.
the pins i made using hilock fasteners and collars which i had from work. must be done carefully or you can crack the dome.

kohan25

Jun 23, 2010
Oxford, CT.
these are the hi locks i used to make the pins. the ends have allen keys so i tighten collar just enough where it is snug on the dome because it is a cheap one and then use a pair of dikes to snip off the collar nut.
here is the red one i did.20190116_144803.jpg20190116_145724.jpg20190117_055458.jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
This looks great. The socket and pins look lower than on the factory light, did you have to lower the bulb socket down to get the dome to fit? This would prohibit proper focal point of the bulb filament in the center of the magnifying glass lens. I'm not criticizing, just making an observation, and inquiry.

kohan25

Jun 23, 2010
Oxford, CT.
yes dan. good observation. the dome is smaller in length after i cut the base off so i had to adjust the bulb holder down as far as i could to make everything work. also cut a little off the top of the bulb posts

kohan25

Jun 23, 2010
Oxford, CT.
i was able to bring it down far enough to where the bulb is mostly centered or a little lower than center but beam still looks centered when on

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.