Rotator direction

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Hello fellow Rona 2020 participants. Being as I’m wide awake when I should be sleeping, I’m asking the masses what is your preference regarding direction of spin on a rotating light. Clockwise?
Counterclockwise?
Never thought of that before you freak!.,?

Discussion encouraged...

Thanks for playing....

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
For me it depends on the bar. A mix of CW and CCW in the right bar (twinsonic/par 36 beacon bars) looks better than just same direction imo. Although going all CW can make the bar appear to do "traffic right" type of pattern, a la the Aerodynic.

I'm actually in the middle of this dilemma with a pair of 600 rotabeams I'm trying to install.

Reactions: Skippy and StEaLtH2

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I think both directions on both sides not all cw on one side and ccw on the other. I believe that the counter sweeping lights have a greater visibility esp if they are playing to each other this way your never without lighting giving your position away when you need to be seen.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Depends on perspective:

Counter-clockwise, because I am in the USA and right handed ... the beam, when approaching someone, would be like my left hand pushing and defending me from a passing Knight while I keep hold of my handgun (why in England they still drive on the left; the weapon, a sword, is Away from the passing person).

Clockwise, because the beam on the highway is pushing cars in front to the right, and in the back to the left.

Which is why you use the JetSonic, with front and rear beams that slap the person on both ears at the same time.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I like my rotators to go around in a circular motion.

One of the reasons I stopped buying JDI products.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
So thanks everyone for the good comments.
like Soarky, I too wondered this due to RotaBeam.
Prrsonally, I like a pair to be opposite with CCW on the drivers side. Sweeping away from the vehicle to the front.
I’ve upgraded my throw and trying to settle on my pattern.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I prefer clockwise rotation and there may be a scientific reason for it. My left eye is more dominant than my right. Studies have suggested that those with a Left Visual Field react faster to clockwise rotation and those with Right Visual Field react faster to counterclockwise rotation. It actually effects the reaction time and therefore the direction just looks more natural.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I prefer the light to rotate rather then not rotate. I have a really beat Twin model 12SX that has a passenger side rotator that likes to spin when it feels like it. Caused by worn nylon cog on bottom of the rotator assembly and a stretched chain.

It's like most of my coworkers currently.. it shows up, but only works when it feels like it.. o_O

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Pattern mixes during my install....

I ended up leaving it wig wag 150 phased/synced left right. Puts more FPM and brighter together.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.