Roto-Ray LED Upgrade Question

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I have seen the Roto-Rays upgraded to LED versions. Does anyone know who makes the PAR 46 LEDs for them? One seller claimes they are Whelen, but I cannot find any info on the LEDs on their website

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I agree with that.... I thought Roto-Rays used PAR46s.... Tomar shows PAR36s on their website. The bulbs in your pic show PAR36L which matches Tomar's website. Thanks for the quick ID! :)

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
They have been using Tomar Par46L for a few years; I can tell you it goes back at least 6 years, because we have a pair of 2007 Arrow engines that were delivered with Par46L's in the roto-ray, but I can't tell you beyond that. However, on our newer apparatus (those < 2 yrs old), they have a whelen PAR lighthead that I've never seen anything like it...it's hard to explain but, put simply, it kinda looks like 5mm LEDs mounted in small reflector housings that are randomly scattered throughout the lighthead (I used 5mm just for a size reference, but I personally don't think that they're actually using 5 mm; whatever it is, it's small, bright, flat lighthead and not traditional TIR). I dunno of it's used on all newer roto-rays across the board, but the 4 newest vehicles and the 1 replacement roto-ray that my department has have all been those whelen lightheads.

I haven't performed a side by side comparison, but I personally think the tomars are still brighter

Last edited by a moderator:

rettoded

Aug 12, 2011
Berks County,PA
First a big thank you again to JohnMarcson and Sarge619 for the Interview with the maker of the Rotoray. Lots of awesome info about Roto-Rays there. I will try to provide some answers using information from that thread:

JohnMarcson said:
How many different models are currently offered?

Current models include the 200 (three red sealed beams) 200W (two colored sealed beams with one white sealed beam), 1000 (PAR 36 LED's) and the newly released 4000 (PAR 46 LED's).

JohnMarcson said:
Do you have any plans for the patent/design that you can or will share?

The most exciting development is Richard's new partnership with Whelen, who developed and are supplying him with a new PAR 46 LED cluster that he can mount in the existing light housings. These are far brighter and more effective then those from his previous suppliers (including Tomar) used on the model 1000 (and the short-lived model 2000). This new system is the basis for the model 4000, which was just recently released. Many departments are requesting he retro-fit their existing PAR 36 LED-equipped Roto-Rays with this new system.

Sarge619 said:
Yup, that's the one John, the new Model 4000. Those are the new Whelen PAR 46 LED modules. Far more LED's per light head, significantly brighter and more attention-grabbing than the ealier PAR 36 versions with Tomar and other LED manufacturers components. Here's a pic of E404 of the Fairfax County Fire Rescue's Herdon Company - first county-owned rig to receive the "next-generation" Roto-Ray - (seems only fitting as Herndon has been been the home of Roto-Ray Inc. for 41 years and was the company my grandfather and Uncles Richard and Tim started out as vollies. Both uncles joined the career force and served many years from various stations. Richard retired as a Lieutenant and his son Richard "Scottie" Slepetz is currently a career Loot with Company 30 in Merrifield). They previously had a Model 200W sealed beam unit and they retrofitted when the 4000 came out. (Photo credit = Good2Go, Firepics.net):

View attachment 32489

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
There are at least two different versions of the Roto-Ray available in LED:

ai.imgur.com_tYMcJh1.jpg

ai.imgur.com_wqwiUMz.jpg

The one in the first photo appears to be of the PAR46 variety, adapted down to PAR36.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.