Rural department's fire sale

shibby1952

May 8, 2013
Iowa
Brought this pile home from a small volunteer dept last weekend. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to what they had. This is what they had removed to go to LED:

A r/b Smith and Wesson with a replacement lens on one side and speaker

2 all light MX 7000s (one r/b and one clear)

A r/b Streethawk with center traffic light (SHL)

A r/b Twinsonic 12F with center speaker

A r/b Code 3 LP 6000 with center speaker

Some sort of Whelen strobe bar with clear lenses and r/b internal filters

And that beacon which is a Champion/Darley with a faded tag.

All this stuff was headed to the dumpster in another week or so. I would have to guess all this was donated at some point. Quite an "eclectic" collection to say the least...Bars.jpg

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
That clear Whelen 8000 is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WANT!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I say you did good! You got quite a good haul out of there, and that Whelen bar is gonna make some people a little jealous since those with clear domes and colored inner optics are getting hard to acquire.

Reactions: 7d9_z28

Charles Lambert

Mar 7, 2016
Raleigh NC
Brought this pile home from a small volunteer dept last weekend. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to what they had. This is what they had removed to go to LED:

A r/b Smith and Wesson with a replacement lens on one side and speaker

2 all light MX 7000s (one r/b and one clear)

A r/b Streethawk with center traffic light (SHL)

A r/b Twinsonic 12F with center speaker

A r/b Code 3 LP 6000 with center speaker

Some sort of Whelen strobe bar with clear lenses and r/b internal filters

And that beacon which is a Champion/Darley with a faded tag.

All this stuff was headed to the dumpster in another week or so. I would have to guess all this was donated at some point. Quite an "eclectic" collection to say the least...View attachment 153481
I'm interested in A r/b Twinsonic 12F with center speaker...call me at 9195243427

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'd be interested in "Some sort of Whelen strobe bar with clear lenses and r/b internal filters"

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
You got a couple super valuable and great lightbars in that lot! The clear Whelen 8000 and Twinsonic 12F are sure to be worth a pretty penny!

shibby1952

May 8, 2013
Iowa
Thank you all for your interest in the Whelen. I have not decided what to do with it yet, as it has been put off to the side until I can get some of these other bars cleaned up and out of the way. It looks to be in a lot rougher shape than it appears in the picture. While the lenses do not appear to be cracked, they are pretty banged up and one side has a black sun shield on it that is lifting and peeling. I haven't gotten around to testing it yet, but it has cascade mirrors and what appear to be forward facing strobes in addition to the end strobes. Too bad I just sold my 90H, as it had some decent parts on it.
Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about anyway. I think it's ugly, and does not look like it would put out a very effective warning. Yeah I get it, it's rare. But I am not much of a Whelen guy and am more excited about finding the 12F. I have been looking for one for quite some time. So I will let everyone know when I get around to taking the Whelen apart and testing it.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Whelen 8000 series with colored internal optics are rare. It's the internal colored filters that make this bar.

Reactions: SBFD-E-9

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
What a great haul!

I agree the 8000 is an ugly bar; always was and always will be in my book. But, I can surely appreciate the clear-lensed 8000 for its uniqueness and think it would make a great addition to anyone's collection.

CamaroGuy

Apr 22, 2014
Western Ky
Thats a killer haul man!! I to just picked up a 12F. Not in that good of shape but im just happy to have one. Post up a picture of the champion beacon. I might have its twin.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.