RV-26 vs. RV-46 Flashes Per Minute

Jackson223

Mar 4, 2018
East Coast
From watching a few YouTube videos, I've noticed that the flash rates on RV-26 beacons are, in most cases, close to if not higher than on RV-46 beacons. I'm thinking that this might be because the lights are being run off battery chargers or 12v power supplies, etc., and not off vehicle batteries/alternators, but I wonder if the same thing is true with on-vehicle installs because of the added amperage draw of the 100 watt bulbs. What are the flashes per minute supposed to be?

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
I do know that the motors are different to accommodate RV-46 to closer match the FPM of the RV-26. I'm not sure exactly how many flashes per minute they are.

Reactions: Tony P

Jackson223

Mar 4, 2018
East Coast
I am not sure that's correct about different motors -- the Unity parts sheet lists the 1294 motor for all the big beacons -- RV-25, 26, 45, 46.

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
Both lights are rated at around 100 flashes per minute to land within the 60-120 flash per minute SAE standard. Actual flashs per minute have varied over time with use of different motors throughout the life of the lights. To have the flashes match, the 26 has a faster motor than the 46 to account for the different quantity of lamps. Exact motors used and number of flashes varied some over time.

Reactions: Jackson223

Jackson223

Mar 4, 2018
East Coast
So if they both flash at roughly the same rate, what's the benefit of having 4 bulbs instead of 2, especially given the drawback of an extra 16 or so amps from the two additional 100 watt bulbs?

Four 100 watt bulbs plus the motor must draw between 35 and 40 amps...

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
^That. Combo of dwell time and have 4 lights would mean 4 directions are getting light at the same time as opposed to only two.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
To have the flashes match, the 26 has a faster motor than the 46 to account for the different quantity of lamps. Exact motors used and number of flashes varied some over time.

I am not sure that's correct about different motors -- the Unity parts sheet lists the 1294 motor for all the big beacons -- RV-25, 26, 45, 46.

You were saying?...........

:p;)

I'm a bit of an RV-26 & RV-46 guru!

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
Kinda, but depends on the version. If you could send a picture of it, we can take a look and offer suggestion.

Jackson223

Mar 4, 2018
East Coast
Would it also be possible to get an ordered listing of the washers and nuts that go on top of the RV-26 positive rod/spindle where the bulb wires attach (and which separate the positive current from the outer portion of the shaft, through which the current travels to ground)? Thanks in advance.

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
That version doesn't have a trick, but gets noisy when the bronze gear 7684 wears out. Due to how it is assembled we used to sell the gear as part of a Gear/Shaft Replacement kit and couldn't sell it on its own. Based on our system it looks like we still have the parts but have not sold it in a long time. Not sure if we still have the fixture needed to assemble it, or someone that would know how to assemble it. I can look into it, if you want, but will take some time and might not result in anything.

Jackson223

Mar 4, 2018
East Coast
If you could look into it, it would be really wonderful. And even if you only have the gear, I might be able to figure out how to get it onto the shaft using a press or whatever fixture is needed to put the parts together. Please let us know what other random parts are available for this light as well. THANK YOU for being so responsive and eager to help!

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
If you could look into it, it would be really wonderful. And even if you only have the gear, I might be able to figure out how to get it onto the shaft using a press or whatever fixture is needed to put the parts together. Please let us know what other random parts are available for this light as well. THANK YOU for being so responsive and eager to help!

Do you have a pic of this part?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.