RyGuy's 2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax Emergency equipment build out project

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Just got me a 2008 SIlverado crew cab duramax standard bed. Black. I'm going to be equipping it but have been out of practice for quite awhile. I installed Whelen Edge bars back in the early to mid-90s and helped with a few B-Link systems, some corner strobes and grill strobes and such. I might just take it to a local outfitter here (LAWS) but I might dabble at it a bit myself. This will be primarily Amber lights for the time being with the possibility of switching to Reds for S&R response if I decide to get back into that volunteer field.

Looking for suggestions though. I am open to anything. I would like to keep the equipment I install to be period appropriate to the year of the truck, I'm kind of old fashioned that way, but am not against throwing some old school halogen flashing grill lights in there either. (I got the idea from a member on here a number of years back who equipped forest service trucks and did a Dodge Ram which included old school halogen flashing grill lights behind the grill, thought it was very classy and looked good)

So suggestions? What was popular back in 2008 lighting wise?

Thanks

RyGuy

Attachments

• 67873250_119238489366658_1546764920408768512_n.jpg
    67873250_119238489366658_1546764920408768512_n.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 21

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Lol, an 08 is not that old that halogens and strobes are the way to go; LEDs were definitely prevalent by then. I think halogen flashers would look ugly.

Amber/clear cannons to replace the reverse bulb (flash amber, steady clear) is a no-brainer IMO and I think a pair of M7’s with chrome flanges on the grill (next to the Chevy ribbon) would look great. A Libby on the roof would fit in too. HOWEVER, the problem with LEDs is that you’re kinda committed to the color you buy and can’t change the exterior lenses (since you’re not sure if you will just stay with amber or will need red too down the road), as you would with a halogen/strobe bar, and it’s a PITA trying to sell a bunch of inboards/corner mods if you wanna change colors.

2 options/suggestions:
1) ust stick to a pair of A/W cannons to the rear and a dual color R/A minibar for now. Just flash the amber cannons and amber minibar for now, with the option to activate the red later If you decide to join the local VFD, and add red to the front at that point.
2) get an Excalibur with colored lenses for the roof and change the colors to suit your needs. I def prefer an LED bar, like a Libby, for your ride but the halogen bar is more flexible for your uncertainty. I think fast rotators are much more attention grabbing than a strobe edge

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Ryan,
I used to be stationed in your area when I was in the Air Force. LAWS did several installs for me when I was in charge of the squadrons vehicle fleet. They do great work and would definitely recommend them!
As for lights the halogen lights I don’t think would look bad. PDK9’s suggestions about an Excalibur is a good idea, I would do an MX but the Excalibur would look good also. The S&R Team at Buckley had one on their Silverado and it looked good up there.

Dennis
NVFD 612

Reactions: Mt2425

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
I had a Excalibur on my '12 Silverado - Same Body style as yours - and it looked excellent, imo. You can take a peek at it here: https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/2012-silverado-code-3-and-feniex-build.81403/

I do have a 47" MX and a 54" MX that i'll be putting up shortly, if you are interested. Could potentially be interested in parting ways with the pictured Excal as well. Shipping will be a chore though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.