S&W model L-31D

Southern5

Mar 12, 2017
Ozark al
Hello Folks, I found these lights at a yard sale. From what I can figure out, S&W didn't make them, it just has their tag on it. It seems that they have been retro fitted to have halogen strobes instead of rotators (not for sure though). Can anyone give me some specifics about them? I would like to put some rotators back in them. I guess I need to know what I'm looking for before I can start trying to find them. 219223lights4.jpg219224219225lights4.jpg

Reactions: stansdds

Southern5

Mar 12, 2017
Ozark al
Thanks for the info. Can you give me any info on hooking them up? Do I need anything besides whats container in the cans themselves?

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
@Southern5
As you have already been advised, this is a strobe light.
That means it uses high Voltage to operate. The two capacitors inside holds a very high amount of energy and is extremely dangerous when loaded.
The light is originally, as already mentioned, a Dietz 7-430.
It is a single flash light with about 10 Joules of flash energy.
It is a straight forward light with only two cables, one +12V and one -12V.
Usually + is red and - is black.

This light is in my opinion a bright light.
You will find that the blue is more visible than the red one because that flash tubes emits more blue light than red light in the white spectrum and that give more light through a blue lens than a red one.

Michael

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
By the way, the outer fresnel lens should have a guiding pin that goes into the hole in the upper surface of the base.
If this pin is broken the lens will not focus correctly if installed wrongly.
This lens has focused fresnel bars that direct most of the light to the front and rear.

Michael

Southern5

Mar 12, 2017
Ozark al
So finally got back around to fooling with these lights. When I hook them up to power I hear a high pitched squealing noise. I only keep power on for about 2-3 seconds. Not sure if that was normal. I don’t get any light.... any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Southern5

Mar 12, 2017
Ozark al
These were strobes, made by Dietz, and rebadged as S&W.
These are Strobe lights, not "Halogen strobes". There is No such thing.
Do not change a thing, these were not altered.
If you make a mistake and hook these up wrong, you will quickly fry them.
Which component fries? I’m not getting any light from these, only a high pitched squeal when power is initially supplied.

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
I only mention this because it occurs to me that LEDs have now been around long enough that there are people who have never been around strobes. If you are not one of these people disregard.

High power strobe units, like those used in warning light have a high pitched whine while they charge. This is then followed by the strobe discharge / flash. 2-3 seconds seems kind of long, but it is possible that you are not giving them time to fully charge and then discharge flashing the light.

I know diddly about the inner working of strobes, only familiar from a user / switch flipper perspective.

I have always been partial to rotators, but do find myself missing the whine, zip-zap sound of strobe units.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
Neat light by the way, and not one I'm the least bit familiar with. I'm guessing late 1970s as that is when S&W become interested in marketing their own line of (rebadged) emergency lights.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Wow! Those are Dietz strobes on a Dietz bar. I wouldn't do anything to that except to clean it. These are pretty rare items, even rarer to be an all original bar and marked as S&W. Smith & Wesson never made any of their own bars, speakers, lights, or sirens. All of the S&W branded warning equipment was made by Signal Stat, Dietz, and I think maybe even SVP and a few products may have been Federal Signal, then labeled first as Stephenson, then later S&W.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.