Saginaw County Sheriff Goes Retro

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Yes, McDermott was running PAR36 LED 'bulbs' in their original style RISER lightbars until they lost the NYPD contract around 2005 or so

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
OK guys, got a great update on this continuing saga....I got an very up close and personal view of the bar, the new LED's and a talk with a deputy. Also got a live look.

First off, there were questions on the bar and where it came from or who manufactured it. Its totally custom. Its stainless steal bent, welded at the seams and ground smooth. The feet of the bar are actually from the OLD full LED bars. Those are "CODE 3" and they took the feet off and attached them to the new bar. (pics to follow).

The new LED's are red and blue Whelen L31 series beacons. They changed it from the rotating pattern to a more flashing rotating pattern. The deputy I talked to actually said he liked them, they are brighter and more attention getting than the old LED bars, in his opinion.

He also said he liked the spotlights for "takedowns". He said they light up the interior of the car he stops perfectly. He said it was like adding two more spotlights to the car. He even referenced driving with them on at night in the back county roads.

Before I add the photos, let me say I saw these lights in action. I am actually impressed. Its less confusing than a full LED bar and I think more defined between the red and blue. (I could not get my phone to take video. The light washed it out). They are extremely bright and attention getting. There are still plenty of supplemental LED's all over the car, just like a slicktop would have.

I don't think there will be any officer safety issues with the new LED's.

Attachments

• LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 221
  • unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 259
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
I like it! Can't wait to see a video of those beacons in action! It's good to see they have some other lights and it's not just the beacons. Are the TIR3s on the bar synced with the beacons?

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
I wonder what is cost them to make that bar out of aluminum? If was really all that cost effective compared to buying a 8 or 10 head led light bar? Personally I like them a lot and wish more companies made led beacons. I said it before I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, I love the retro look. Even if its led retro, Lol.

Reactions: unityrv26

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Would like to see a video of this. Is the cruise light function wired to a switch? The only part I don't care for is the disproportionate size of the beacons vs the spots.. Personally the off road lights would be nice on the pit bar. Depending on what their supplier is selling them each L31 for they very well could be spending the same coin as a lightbar would run them...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA

Here is a vid of 2 whelen rotobeams, not on a Charger. Drivers side red front/amber rear and Pass side blue. They are sync'ed, low power enabled and cruise function on a rocker switch.
Rotabeam's are awesome. Too bad this agency didn't go with them.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
I absolutely love this, and I think they're fine tuning the idea over time. I hope eventually it becomes Rotabeams with Micro Pioneer takedowns and Nano6 alleys. Maybe even a Micron TA on the back or a simple pair of amber flashers.

I think the current addition of the Tir3s look cheap and I don't see them adding anything to the setup.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
It's about time. Simple, recognizable, non-blinding.

Just off the top of my head, I saw at least 7 cars get taken out last year by motorists, one of which would undoubtedly have been a fatality had the driver been in it. All of those "safe" vehicles had so many lights you couldn't see the car, or people around it.

We here may know what is "required" or helps other motorists, like dimming lights or arrow functions. Most drivers will tell you they turn the lights on by moving the lever all the way to the right, then left to turn them off.

Nice.

I know, whatever, but this is specifically what I mentioned.
635626950486787117-0323-multiaxone.jpg

635626954520530831-0323mangledcruiser2.jpg
Crown Victaurus, Legacy Duo+ on the roof and 2 M4J on the trunk lid ... parked immediately behind a Fire Truck (with LEDs, too...)

What you see is the driver side of the car. In the Fire Truck picture notice the Legacy still attached by the cable. And the upside-down F250 that hit it.

As a citizen motorist, 0.02 and Texting will get you here, and then Jail.

(Pretty sure it is Marc Maron who says the only difference between a Drunk Driver and a Texter is that the Drunk is actually looking at the road)

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
I'd want to see videos, but I think these look good! As long as they have the supplemental lighting (grille, intersection, traffic bar in the back) I support the idea!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Those Code 3 beacons look more pronounced on that crossbar. But, I agree that a side-by-side comparison of the C3 and Whelens is warranted to see what'll work for the Sheriff's dept.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Shame there cant be a speaker up in between the KC lights.

I do not know when, but it was either the NFPA, OSHA and/or the NHTSA that decided speakers mounted on the roof of passenger cars posed too great a risk of hearing damage to those nearby. After that all police vehicles had to begin mounting their speakers on the front bumper or inside of the engine compartment. I'm sure there's someone here who knows far more about this than I do.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
It was OSHA in the 80's that said overhead speakers were damaging hearing of the occupants of police cars. And I agree, I trace my hearing loss to hours and hours sitting directly underneath siren speakers.

Reactions: Lightbarnut

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I wish the news would do the press release again, showing the Whelens and Archs in use....

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Is it just me or does the red seem brighter than the blue?
I'd speed up the rotator speed a little but overall I like it

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.