Sanity check re: 2018 Jeep JL

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Friends,
Got to test drive the new generation 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) today. First one to arrive at the dealership here in town, great vehicle. Many upgrades over the prior generation JK. =Probably going to buy if I can iron out a lighting setup that makes sense.

I would really appreciate input from anyone who's got the opportunity to look at a JL because the opportunities for undercover lighting are significantly different than they are on the JK's. Bolts in different places, a diamond grille protecting the radiator and creating a very inaccessible space (arghhhh), different taillight housing, and so on. Note this will be for a soft top configuration so roof gutter mountings and the like are out, I guess.

What I WANT:
"Undercover"--vehicle should look very close to stock when lights are turned off
360* coverage---it doesn't have to be great coverage for sides/rear but there has to be something.
No lights inside the passenger cabin if possible. Yes I know LED's don't flash back at you in the windshield as badly as the strobes or halogen rotator dash light of the "old days", but I'm really not wanting to blind myself at night. At all.

How I would like to do it:
1. Wig-wag headlights (In my experience these are a lot of bang for the buck especially out in the country where we have long stretches of straight roads. Even in town, people stop and get out of your way; I never got such strong results with blue lights alone.)

2. Blue grille lights (required by state law in order to have the headlights flash)
3. Side warning--Whelen ION V-Series Super-LED model XONV3B --this light provides blue side warning as well as "some" alley lighting which would be a nice step up. Also "puddle lighting", whoopee. The "X" at the beginning of the light model number gives you a "smoked lens" which seems like a win.

4. Rear warning--if required. I say "if required" because the Whelen ION's on the side provide 180 degree light. The only problem is there is a slight curve to the side of the Jeep where if I mount them just in front of the windshield, just below hood level, as planned, they will be angled ever so slightly forward and I'm not sure will provide any light directly to the rear. This is why I am hoping someone has access to look at a JL and give some good feedback. (Hello Whelen....can you go to your local Jeep dealership please....) If I do need additional rear warning, and I think I probably will, my preference would be for "hide-a-way" LED light heads inside the backup light housing. If they fit. I have no idea if they would fit. Does anyone know? Should I ask the salesman to have their service guy open up the new housing so I can take a look?? If LEDs in the backup light housing didn't work I guess I would go for some kind of sad license plate mount LED's or try to figure a way to mount something on the swing bar for the spare tire. I can't think of any really great options. Certainly no other way I can think of to mount lights widely apart, as I would like on the rear, unless I go with something interior :(

SOoooooo the outstanding questions for anyone who's able to see (or who is familiar with) the new Jeep Wrangler JL's:
1. How the heck can I mount grill lights in this thing? I noticed the lateral part of the grille on each side is closed, possibly a horn on one side and something else on the other. Perhaps a custom made bracket that screws into whatever's at the edges, behind the grille but in front of the radiator?!?! Perhaps a custom mount on one of the vertical members is possible but I have no idea how to even get at it. I am 100% at a loss on this. I've only had a short time to look but it's a puzzle so far.

2. Anyone have thoughts on whether the ION's would provide lighting to the rear? I have no way to tell, guess there IS no way to tell other than trying it.. (Do I need to be more specific on where I'd be mounting them, I can provide a picture..)

3. Anyone care to recommend a blue LED to hide in the backup lights? Should I just go with whatever Whelen has and keep it all with one manufacturer, use the sync patterns? I don't see a huge benefit there. If another mfr has a great product for this (like really tiny*g*) I would probably go that way. Please send input...

4. Recommendation on the grille lights? Any real benefit to syncing with the side lights that will definitely be visible from the front? They will be mounted vertically I'm sure so I'll need something with a focused (straight ahead) light spread, not something that disperses 50% of the light into the pavement/sky.

5. Last thing, anybody have tips for switch panels they like or have come on the market recently? No sirens here. Will need just 6 switches. I don't mind pushing 4 buttons to make all the blues and headlights go; don't need the "one throw lever turns everything on". One for grille lights, one for wigwags, one for side warning, one for rear warning(potentially). Then one for left alley/puddle and one for right alley/puddle. Love to get some pointers to a decent, nice looking switch panel that isn't huge and would fit well someplace in the Jeep's small cockpit.

Thanks all for reading. If you want pics of the relevant parts of the vehicle let me know and I'll figure out how to post them.
Be safe,
/pbz

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Addl info: I learned that the JL has 2 taillight options, standard and LED. I'm not going for the LED package so I'm assuming the standard package backup lights will accommodate some Whelen Vertex heads. If anyone knows differently or recommends a different product please advise! Thank you!

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
If it was my build I would do the following, judging by pics because I haven't seen one in person yet.

-Surface mount LED's vertical in the grille
-Flash the DRL's in the front fenders
-Possibly flush mount some Code3 HB4's in the fender sides.
-Install Code3 M180's below the taillights
-Switches, can either go with the Mopar four-switch panel or several manufacturers have 6 and 8 remote panel kits.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
I would go with:
2 - 40* Fusion modules vertical in the grille, directly to the mesh, in B/W. Mode 1 blue flash, mode 2, white flood
2 - 180* Fusion just behind the doors(2door) or on the rocker (4door)
2 - T3 on the rear, just below the rear door
2 - T3 between the fender and hood line

I would also use the OEM Mopar 4-switch panel

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Thx for the feedback. Just curious why flash only the fog lights? I have a soundoff flasher on my Cherokee and it has high beam override plus when the lights are on low beam it alternates high beams. Great attention getter. The fog lights are so low..

By surface mounting LEDs in the grille you mean on the front of the grille? Is there a way to have them mounted behind the grille? I'll attach a pic of the new grille design.
IMG_20180120_154536119_HDR.jpg

Any particular benefit to drilling a fender for the hb4 as opposed to mounting the whelen ion v-series in the horizontal gap shown here...I'd get alley functionality and wider angle I think.... would rather not drill someplace visible...
IMG_20180120_154754828.jpg

Thanks for pointing out the M180. Looks like a lower cost competitor to the Whelen Ion V series. You suggest a surface mount on the rear? What'd What'd be the benefit to the wide angle light pattern on the rear?

Thanks again, be safe!

-Surface mount LED's vertical in the grille
-Flash the DRL's in the front fenders
-Possibly flush mount some Code3 HB4's in the fender sides.
-Install Code3 M180's below the taillights.

Attachments

• IMG_20180120_154514781.jpg
    IMG_20180120_154514781.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 9

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Hey partner thx for the thoughts and turning me on to the Feniex line. Probably don't need the extra white to the front, think I would go all blue, but I'm onboard 100% with the 180* spread on the sides if it can flash blue and do solid white from the same module. I found what I think is a good place to slip a bracket in between body panels right in front of the windscreen. Can u see the photo in my prior post, what do you think?

Also just curious, why do you think a surface mount led instead of hiding an LED head inside the backup lights? I'm trying to keep a clean undercover stock appearance but if there's something I'm not considering....pls let me know... Thx again very much for your thoughts. Be safe!

I would go with:
2 - 40* Fusion modules vertical in the grille, directly to the mesh, in B/W. Mode 1 blue flash, mode 2, white flood
2 - 180* Fusion just behind the doors(2door) or on the rocker (4door)
2 - T3 on the rear, just below the rear door
2 - T3 between the fender and hood line

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
the Fusion modules CAN do exactly what you are looking to do to the sides. Also, that would be a pretty good placement for a 180* module for the side.

Lastly, I didnt realize you were willing to mess with the tail lights. in that case, a Feniex Cannon 360 can replace the reverse light, and maintain those functions, while also providing rear colored lighting. You also may come across the issue of not having any room to put the Ballast for most LED HAW's on the market

Reactions: pzurich
Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
You could absolutely flash the highbeams if they are Halogen. I was thinking the new Jeeps were all coming with LED's. I thought the fender lights were DRL's which sometimes makes for good warning lights.

The ION-V's are nice lights but the M180 is more compact and gives a true 180 degrees of light. The HB4's just make nice intersection lights when a HAW isn't an option.

As for the surface mount in the rear, I had posted that before I saw that you weren't getting the LED taillights. My original thought was no HAW's in the rear so surface mount. The advantage to the M180 in the rear is if underneath the taillight you could get ground lighting and some extra reverse lighting.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Big thanks for the tip on the Feniex Cannon 360. Man I've been out of the game so long, stuff like this never occurred to me. I was able to get a view of the Jeep's incandescent taillight assembly and I think I could fit a hideaway in there. But why--when I can tear out the existing lights and replace them with these cannons. Blue flash mode and white flood mode to override. Totally elegant solution.

I'm not 100% loving the Fusion as much as I like the Whelen , based on what I've seen, but it would definitely work. The down side of the Fusion on the side is you can't have narrow white and 180* blue. That's an option a couple others have. On the other hand, the price is right. I don't know much about Feniex, off to YouTube to see some installs.

Thanks again for all the tips and the thoughts on using the stock Cherokee switch panel. It's only 4 switches but it'd be slick as heck.
Sw1=Grilles
sw2:side blue
Sw3:rear blue
sw4:side white.

Oh ya with only 4 switches I have to do both alleys together and the wigwags together with the grilles. Not the end of the world!

Be safe!

the Fusion modules CAN do exactly what you are looking to do to the sides. Also, that would be a pretty good placement for a 180* module for the side.

Lastly, I didnt realize you were willing to mess with the tail lights. in that case, a Feniex Cannon 360 can replace the reverse light, and maintain those functions, while also providing rear colored lighting. You also may come across the issue of not having any room to put the Ballast for most LED HAW's on the market

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Ya, the stock led lights are a package option, I'm probably going minimum on the options. Regular old headlights that I'll soup up myself with better bulbs instead of paying thousands more for Jeep's version. The fender lights operate as fog lights in the one I test drove. Only down side to em is if you accidentally use the headlight flasher with the fog lights on you get 3 lights then 1 and repeat. Guess the fog lights are cut out by only one of the high beam wires or something. No big deal. For 50 bucks to me alternating headlights are the best bang for the buck bar none. At least in my environment.

Will definitely dig into those M180's some more. Thanks also for the thoughts on using the standard Wrangler 4-accessory switch panel. I was wanting to individually switch everything but like I said in the prior message - this would be so slick, using existing switches. I will have to make sure the trim level I'm getting includes it. If not I'll just have the dealership add it on delivery.

Thanks again and be safe!

You could absolutely flash the highbeams if they are Halogen. I was thinking the new Jeeps were all coming with LED's. I thought the fender lights were DRL's which sometimes makes for good warning lights.

The ION-V's are nice lights but the M180 is more compact and gives a true 180 degrees of light. The HB4's just make nice intersection lights when a HAW isn't an option.

As for the surface mount in the rear, I had posted that before I saw that you weren't getting the LED taillights. My original thought was no HAW's in the rear so surface mount. The advantage to the M180 in the rear is if underneath the taillight you could get ground lighting and some extra reverse lighting.

Last edited:

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
One other tidbit: I found a video on YouTube of how to take the grille off the JL. It's not nearly as bad as it looks. The space is NOT as inaccessible as I thought. Gonna head back to the dealership with my screwdriver and tell him I wanna take his Jeep apart. :) Do a little hands on investigation and see what the options are for mounting those grille lights. ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
(And be safe)

Reactions: SafetyLighting

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Hey all. Any concerns or suggestions on using Code 3 MR6's vertically mounted behind the grille to fulfill state law of having blue grille lights in order to use flashing headlights?

I noticed that they use TIR optics which seems preferable for a vertical mount. Also they would sync with the M180's on the side which are visible to the front. So I could get all the left blues going then all the right blues--to minimize the "random light clutter" effect I'll be throwing at head-on traffic.

Thoughts?

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
The M180's will sync with the MR6's. I've used the MR6's vertically, they work fine. You will lose some side off-axis output, but putting them behind the grille will do that anyways.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Yep ok this sounds good to me. Pretty much as expected. If I get just straight forward warning from the grille lights that's fine. More forward light than just the M180s will provide, and augment and legalize the flashing headlights. Many thx for the sanity check.

The M180's will sync with the MR6's. I've used the MR6's vertically, they work fine. You will lose some side off-axis output, but putting them behind the grille will do that anyways.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Did you move forward with this? I'm interested to see what you come up with.

I would recommend finding a way to allow you to shut off your headlight flasher independent of your grille lights. If you end up responding to a scene and leave your vehicle in a precarious location with the lights on for visibility and 4 hours later, after you are done at the fire you come back to realize you left your car running with the lights on the whole time, you probably want an option to not inevitably shine your flashing high beams in some old lady's front windows all night. Haha

Also, remember that to meet those pesky laws, your 360 degree lighting must be visible at 500 feet in "normal sunlight."

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
A lot to reply to here but I'm going ahead with the plan as described and talking to a few upfitters to see who will do the best work. (I've moved 2x since I last had to do anything to do with blue lights) Still on the fence about buying up to the Mopar switch panel tbh, it's about $800(!) tho it does include some other goodies. There would have to be sacrifices like you said. Another one beyond the one you mentioned would be the M180 puddles and alleys would all be switched on together, no ability to only do one side. Vs if I had extra switches I could do even more cool stuff like add a 3rd mode to the cannons in the taillights to create a manual steady white --like a rear work light.

Illinois has no 360 degree requirement; there is a brightness minimum for all blues I believe but these LED's would blow that out of the water. As far as leaving the high beams flashing in old lady Smith's window....that's what the million-candlepower spotlight is for, she is already either staring out through the blinds like a weirdo, or else she already hates the fire department, you know how she is.

Anyway I've only responded to a scene direct like twice in the last 3 years. I normally go to the station. Most all our guys do, we are a pretty rural district but most members live in town and 2 of the 3 country guys will always go to the station regardless. Even our chief goes to the station and will ride as the officer sometimes. I like having a chief who still gets his hands dirty. My last 2 departments had (1) combination poc/fulltime suburban Dept with full time chief, he would not respond to anything unless it was a good fire. Would stay at his desk and let the men do their work. If he had to go and take command of an incident or something, he took the CHIEF CAR. A village owned authorized emergency vehicle with "the works". Also an endless target for practical jokes but that's a separate book (2) Dept after that, volunteer, very rural, chief would always race in his pickup truck directly to all calls. Would don gear and take over a crew or be command but too important to spend his valuable time riding with anyone else on an engine. *eye roll* assistant chief there--same shit. Everyone else on dept: clueless. smh. Now I have good rank, a down to earth chief, no incompetent guys or cliquishness, so it's not a bad time. Gotta get the new truck done tho. Old one is dying before my eyes. Pretty sure it's incontinent.

Did you move forward with this? I'm interested to see what you come up with.

I would recommend finding a way to allow you to shut off your headlight flasher independent of your grille lights. If you end up responding to a scene and leave your vehicle in a precarious location with the lights on for visibility and 4 hours later, after you are done at the fire you come back to realize you left your car running with the lights on the whole time, you probably want an option to not inevitably shine your flashing high beams in some old lady's front windows all night. Haha

Also, remember that to meet those pesky laws, your 360 degree lighting must be visible at 500 feet in "normal sunlight."

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Haha! Understood. I've been dealing with my own agency's lighting policy and IL lighting laws for so long that I forgot the state doesn't actually have a 360 policy, oops! The 500 foot thing does apply to any light that's installed though (which shouldn't be a problem). I just brought it up in regards to you asking thoughts on if the side 180 lights would provide sufficient rear coverage.

As for switching, $800 is crazy, that's cencom money. I recommend you take a look at the Whelen PCC8R switch box (shameless plug, I'm selling a used one in great shape, PM me if you are interested in details). I totally understand not caring about the old lady and not responding to the scene, it's just easier to plan ahead for those possibilities.

Also, it's always nice to find someone on here who also has to suffer through the "no audible warning devices" thing. In my agency we used to be able to use electronic airhorns but someone ruined that with a "disabled siren" years ago.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
[READER NOTE: Getting off topic from original subject here]

What the heck kind of policy does your agency have that you need to deal with?! Most places I've ever heard of that have any policy it's "no blue lights" which seems annoying since state law says you can. It's not much of a "police state" in our downstate rural part of the county, so guys around here get away with doing all kinds of things. There's a neighboring department with a ton of poor (as in, "in poverty") guys that have blue+white combination dash lights or grille lights which are 100% BS. These whackers seriously put more into their lights than into the car itself. But I'm on here and I'm sure that horse is dead so I'll zip it on that. Oh yeah one thing if you're gonna not obey the law why not just do blue and red. Why blue and white. Playing the odds that the odd cop you ever come across will go easier on you or not realize blue+white is illegal? HMMMMMMM

I think I'm probably the only one in our district with the required information card to have the lights. That's just because I don't want to wind up in jail. And probably nobody else knows that they added that rule OR the rule allowing wigwags. And that other whites are out of bounds. Nobody on our department, not even the Chief, says anything, and the one guy on OUR dept who is doing it wrong, I'm not gonna bust his chops from the department's perspective, he is a good guy and a key player; if he wants to break the law that's his problem. I highly doubt the fire district would be penalized for a volunteer violating any other portion of the vehicle code so. Unless he gets into a wicked crash and the other driver claims they were blinded by his illegal "blue and white" dash light, we're good. If not, that's what our department has insurance for.

Yeah the $800 for the factory 4-switch panel is way too expensive but it would be slick. And save install time because it sends switched leads to the engine compartment and to the passenger cabin as well; also the $800 buys you a better battery and alternator and a trailer hitch and wiring harnesses, but.. for $99 the Feniex 4200 Mini looks to be a better choice. Small and elegant. Even the switch labels are backlit. (Though I prefer red lighting vs green, gotta watch out for the night vision, and I'm not convinced about dim/bright as the greatest indication of whether a switch is on, but for 99 I can try it and see.) Still will be so much better than the Gall's junk I got for triple the price last time around. There may be vacuum tubes in that one that I need to be replaced.

"Cencom money" lol ain't nobody around here wit dat kina bankroll in they pocket! I looked at that switch box you mentioned. Nice simple design. And about 42,000 different button labels, OMFG. WOW. Just wondering how is the button push on it? Can you tell from the feel that you've switched it, or does it make an audible click? That's my only concern with the Feniex panel is the button feel. I don't want to take my eyes off the road to see if I successfully pushed a button, I need to either feel it with my finger or hear something. Know what I mean?

The issue with audible warning devices is your department policy? I don't know much about it. Never had a dept with a policy on it. I mean I've seen one or two units in catalogs that are 100w airhorn only but never thought it worthwhile. Might be nice but I don't even know the Illinois law on it. Guess it depends on your needs and whether you have a lot of high traffic intersections where you really need to wake up a lot of slow jammed up cross traffic maybe? I'm not there, the roads I have cross traffic are mostly too fast for any air horn to help. And I'm thinking not enough people going the opposite way even pull over to the side for a fire engine, let alone a POV, I don't think an airhorn would change that much. The big dent I put in that was wigwags. People do tend to give me more leeway since I added those. Noticably more respect. Maybe airhorn would help if you're behind someone who won't pull over to let you pass but TBH....they don't have to. If I were a motorist disinclined to pull over for blue lights I would REALLY be torqued if I got an airhorn blown at me. I got the middle finger once *on a 105' ladder truck* from someone who was stopped in the road and wouldn't move so we could get through. People are goofy, man. No airhorn will fix stupid.

This policy against airhorns might be they just don't want complaints from people who suddenly get scared after being honked at for not noticing the blue lights or something. I don't know the point, you can't force someone to pull over or yield to you in this state. Hell its Illinois we're lucky the regulation isn't even tighter like a couple of other states out east I'm thinking of where you need a state-issued permit or restricted to one light only or or or or or....*shrug* I was on a department with a no blue light policy and some guys HAD lights anyway despite the policy because they argued that the department can't have a policy that you're not allowed to equip your vehicle the way the state says you're allowed to; the department's policy can only cover your actions while responding, so in theory you could have a blue light per state law but be forbidden to use it while responding to a call for that department per their SOP. But I guess yours is thinking not to piss off drivers. Coz you airhorn "at someone" they're probably gonna get pissed unless you're pretty gentle about it. A friendly "toot toot" instead of "WHOOOMMMMMPPPPPPP" :)

I guess our department's lack of policy shouldn't be a model for anyone. We pretty much don't have any policy on anything. Our "by-laws" are so minimal -- and so out of date, about half of them are wrong or illegal and in a meeting recently one of the trustees actually asked if we had any by laws. And one of our officers had to provide them. These are bylaws made BY the trustees. And now I'm hearing about it and thinking: by laws?! what is this, the Lions Club? Where are our SOG's or at least SOP's???

Haha! Understood. I've been dealing with my own agency's lighting policy and IL lighting laws for so long that I forgot the state doesn't actually have a 360 policy, oops! The 500 foot thing does apply to any light that's installed though (which shouldn't be a problem). I just brought it up in regards to you asking thoughts on if the side 180 lights would provide sufficient rear coverage.

As for switching, $800 is crazy, that's cencom money. I recommend you take a look at the Whelen PCC8R switch box (shameless plug, I'm selling a used one in great shape, PM me if you are interested in details). I totally understand not caring about the old lady and not responding to the scene, it's just easier to plan ahead for those possibilities.

Also, it's always nice to find someone on here who also has to suffer through the "no audible warning devices" thing. In my agency we used to be able to use electronic airhorns but someone ruined that with a "disabled siren" years ago.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
*Replying to add: She was already getting the Q (real mechanical), nearly fully wound, didn't move, then she got a short to medium length touch of real (not electronic) airhorn. Then we got the finger. *shrug* Chief never got a nastygram so I guess she knew she did it wrong.

[READER NOTE: Getting off topic from original subject here]
If I were a motorist disinclined to pull over for blue lights I would REALLY be torqued if I got an airhorn blown at me. I got the middle finger once *on a 105' ladder truck* from someone who was stopped in the road and wouldn't move so we could get through.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
In my eacape install thread you can see my mini 4200 on and then lights activated.. to see brightness difference.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
In my eacape install thread you can see my mini 4200 on and then lights activated.. to see brightness difference.

Was able to see one smaller daytime pic on post #85(?) of the center console and the panel appeared off and then farther down the same page a darker possibly night time picture where it's all lit up. I don't see the pics you're referring to I guess. Can you point me to post numbers?

Also just wondering where you get a battery like that so you can mock up an install or fiddle with pattern/mode set wires outside the vehicle? Any old auto supply place or ebay it or what? A particular brand or part name I should look for?

Sure wish I lived in a state that didn't require front license plates. Our department's call numbers are all 4 digits and the asshole DMV (secretary of state) doesn't sell any vanity or personalized plate with 4 digits. You can get 1 2 or 3 digits, no problem. 4 digits were all given to campaign contributors and kept in families like prized valuables. And up from there are reserved for the el cheapo random motorcycle and car plates. Welcome to Illinois where nothing makes sense and they charge you more for it.

One other thing. You have the overhead front-facing whites flashing in your "on scene" mode? And the yellow directional LED's out the back on in pursuit mode but not in on-scene mode? The white flashers should be killed if you're in park because you're only warning of a hazard, not "calling" (for the right of way--NFPA term).

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
For others following: There is a little bit of useful info on the Feniex 4200 Mini on sirennet tv. It doesn't actually have 7 switches, it has 6. The one in the center is "panel on" then "all lights off" then "panel off". Interesting/weird/too bad, could have used 7th switch.
I read someplace that if you shut off the power to the panel (e.g., turn off vehicle) when the panel itself is on, then when you power up the panel again(turn on vehicle), the panel will return to its prior "on" state. I hope that's the case. I don't normally want to have to hit a panel-power button just to be able to start switching lights on. If anything I'd like it left in an "on" state anytime the vehicle is running unless I choose to shut it off because I have an idiot in the passenger seat who wants to push buttons, or because I want to reduce cabin lighting, or whatever.
Also I see in the video it does have an audible beep when you hit a button so that's a nice win. For 99 bucks I still think it's worth a try.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
It would be there if all my links weren't broken from the last forum upgrade...

Any place that sells batteries. That is a 3 AH battery I got from batteries direct or some place. Most Walmarts have 7AH batteries in sporting goods for deer feeders. Also try home improvement stores in building exit signs with battery back up aisle...

The dual dashlight does not have the ability for white to shutoff, I'm not a department so I don't have to follow nfpa. Also, when I'm on scene it's an unwritten policy that pd or so will pull in behind us.... Because their vehicles are tax funded and mine/ours aren't. I'm not a firefighter, my group does SAR and some of us are what they call now as EMR.

The power button on the mini does 3 things.

1. It turns the unit on.

2. It will turn off any or all switches you have activated at the same time, thereby saving you from having to turn off 2 to 6 switches independently.

3. It turns the unit itself off.

If the unit looses power it resets to all off.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Appreciate the tips on the battery and clarification on the power button functionality. That'll save some time and peace of mind. I never heard of a deer feeder (grew up in new york) but it sounds like a fun toy I really want a coyote feeder now. :)

I understand your situation being a first responder or EMR with a search and rescue group like a county or regional emergency Management agency or something giving you authority to use the lights. Maybe just consider killing that light entirely when parked. You don't have to follow NFPA, really nobody does. But they set the consensus standards for a lot of things so if a standard applies to you and you go another direction you'd have to be able to say why or it becomes a lot easier to get sued if something goes wrong. You're obviously not driving a fire engine, ambulance etc but they do have guidance that is applicable. We consider them "best practices" and try to get as close as possible because then we can say we were acting within consensus standards and it's one less thing the prosecution can argue you did wrong.

In this case the concern might be someone gets into a wreck and the lawyer digs in and finds out there were a million flashing lights everywhere, claims his client was blinded, consults an expert to determine how this could happen, and the expert says "what's the consensus on what these vehicles should be doing, were they all set up appropriately or were they overdoing it?" And one of the few places that has some usable standards is NFPA. If you were following their guidelines you could say hey, my system is set up the same way fire trucks/ambulances/whatever are required to be set up. (The standard breaks down into large and small vehicles) You're pretty well covered then. Just a thought. I'm not a lawyer, just trying to help a brother out. I've been by some PD scenes where they were out in the road trying to direct traffic at night and their squad car lights were so bright you couldn't see the cops til you were on top of them. Let's not do ourselves like that, you know what I mean?

It would be there if all my links weren't broken from the last forum upgrade...

Any place that sells batteries. That is a 3 AH battery I got from batteries direct or some place. Most Walmarts have 7AH batteries in sporting goods for deer feeders. Also try home improvement stores in building exit signs with battery back up aisle...

The dual dashlight does not have the ability for white to shutoff, I'm not a department so I don't have to follow nfpa. Also, when I'm on scene it's an unwritten policy that pd or so will pull in behind us.... Because their vehicles are tax funded and mine/ours aren't. I'm not a firefighter, my group does SAR and some of us are what they call now as EMR.

The power button on the mini does 3 things.

1. It turns the unit on.

2. It will turn off any or all switches you have activated at the same time, thereby saving you from having to turn off 2 to 6 switches independently.

3. It turns the unit itself off.

If the unit looses power it resets to all off.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Hey just a followup question to anyone in the house who's familiar with the Wrangler: Where would you mount a small switch panel? Looks like that Feniex 4200 MINI has both a flush mount and a swivel mount. Cockpit is so jammed with newfangled buttons and technology...it's like no space is left unused. And they make a specific point about not getting in the way of the airbags (obvious but there are more airbags now) and also don't get in the way of the kneepanels that are supposed to stop you from sliding under your lap belt.
Any ideas welcome...esp from Jeepers who have mounted switch panels.. thank you..

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
I just ordered a Vector bar for my jku, it has a 1 inch OD so the ram mounts will work on it.

Got your video posted to YouTube yet? That's a little less undercover than what I was trying for :)

Just got my Wrangler finished the other day. All as described earlier: headlight flasher, MR6s in grille, M180s mounted to the fender where the hood meets the rear of the engine compt. Feniex cannons in the reverse lights and a Feniex 4200 mini switch panel. Truly that was the hardest part and the last to come to a decision: we wound up mounting it above the rear-view mirror. There was no "perfect" option on placing the switch panel. Jeep does a great job using up all available space on their own. Got some real nice flash patterns on these new LED devices, got the alley/puddle light functionality, manual control of the reverse lights ("work lights"), have it all wired to the battery so I don't have to leave the keys in the car to keep the lights on. Fantastic setup overall, these LED's are all bright AF, especially the M180's, heck even the cannons when it's only half of them firing are pretty impressive. I'll try to post video soon.

Joe452

Apr 27, 2018
Upstate New York
I walked right Into that one, on a side not my first car when I started down the fire service trail was an Oldsmobile cutlass with a vector bar light on it. What I was referring to was this, no it's not my Jeep in the picture mine should be here around 5/5. I like the idea of above the mirror sadly I cut that option out when I installed a homelink garage door opener in that exact spot.
Screenshot_20180429-001242.png

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
I walked right Into that one, on a side not my first car when I started down the fire service trail was an Oldsmobile cutlass with a vector bar light on it. What I was referring to was this, no it's not my Jeep in the picture mine should be here around 5/5. I like the idea of above the mirror sadly I cut that option out when I installed a homelink garage door opener in that exact spot.

Good Jeep there. Got some extra options mine doesn't have, I was going more for a stripped model. Soft top, no fancy backup camera/touch screen display, fancy speakers, etc. The switch panel placement would have been a lot easier if I was a lefty; there is some usable room to the left of the steering wheel, slightly below. My first choice for panel placement on the Feniex mini switch panel was actually the center left HVAC vent but we decided to not mess with that and since there was already wiring for the rear-view mirror from there down the A-post, to just use that. So it's a little of a reach but not bad. A little practice it'll be muscle memory. I see you already have a pic showing another good option which is some aftermarket switches running up the A-post... again, not being a lefty, I was hesitant to do that, even with the switches being bigger to where I could left-thumb them. Could have also done some crazy down low mounting but I was loath to put it someplace where I'd have to take eyes off road. If you really want to get fancy you could probably repurpose existing controls, to do something like make the buttons on the back of the steering wheel control the lights, but again we didn't want to mess with a lot of factory stuff. Shooting the firewall was easy, swapping incandescents out for cannons was easy (beware if you have the LED lights...you lose upgrade options).. other than that, no complaints. I like the Feniex's "all lights off" with one button press functionality, and I also like that we hooked it up to the battery so I don't need to leave the key in the ignition while on scene. Even out here in the country... well you know how emergency scenes attract weirdos. Not needing someone to drive off in the new Jeep...I can take the keys, lock the doors, and still keep whatever lights on.

Think I saw a NY license plate? Is that why you need the overhead lights? We had a couple guys like that where I grew up in NJ but ours were pretty much just whackers I think...most guys had a rotator on the dash. "Back in the day."

Someday the Kojak light will be hip again. Mark these words... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: NVFD612

Joe452

Apr 27, 2018
Upstate New York
Yeah us upstate New Yorkers love our lights,and us lefties can resist a nice A pillar mount. Lol I have to update my album and vehicle specs for both Jeeps but I'm still new to this forum and emergency lighting in general. I only have a star split phantom in blue at the moment.

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Yeah us upstate New Yorkers love our lights,and us lefties can resist a nice A pillar mount. Lol I have to update my album and vehicle specs for both Jeeps but I'm still new to this forum and emergency lighting in general. I only have a star split phantom in blue at the moment.

Eh I figured it was state law about having 360* visibility or something. Or a state that allowed only overhead lights not dash lights or something. Laws are crazy but suburban NJ just had some whackers with more money in lights than the car itself. We got a few like that on our neighboring department. I had to ask one guy how many ramen dinners he had to eat to pay for the fancy lights.

That star split phantom is an internal headliner mount or dashboard mount? How you doing with it at night? Going blind, or most of the light make it out the window and not reflect back at you? One of my pet peeves was having inside lights flashing back at me at night. A hangover from the old dash light days when instead of seeing the road in front of you, you'd see the top of a blue light spinning around. UGHHH. Hope yours isn't that way. Nice to have the radio installed like that pic. I'd like to do something like that but I can just as easily use a portable and keep it on charge at home for free :)

We cover parts of 3 counties, two on vhf and one on 800mhz so..the whole radio thing is a nightmare. Complete confusion when it comes to mutual/automatic aid calls. Accident waiting to happen, believe me. All these years after 9/11 and we still don't have radio interoperability. And in Illinois no less where we have MABAS that is leading the way and setting good direction. One rogue county decides they're smarter than everyone else and throws away the MABAS system and radio frequencies, gets different toys at the behest of law enforcement I guess, and to hell with the rural fire departments on the edge of the county that have to pick up the slack. :<

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
I just ordered a Vector bar for my jku, it has a 1 inch OD so the ram mounts will work on it.

What's the specs on the vector? New as in LED? Have different functions where you can do like yellow to the rear when parked, chase mode with more blue to the front, some cornering lights, some front oscillating type, maybe an option to do a left and right alley, front takedown/flood in white? I saw their display at FDIC last year and even after studying it for a while I couldn't wrap my head around it. Too much else to see, had to move on.

Them bars ain't cheap!! Can't imagine what the control panel for it is like. WELL I guess it depends how many fancy options and configurations you set up..... think it's a good bar if you have to run a lot of intersections and need a lot of functionality without wanting to install a lot of other hardware. You can do a lot with one piece.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Laws in NY are written in such a convoluted manner that unless you are doing something INCREDIBLY stupid, or the Officer that pulls you is a dick, you can get away with just about anything, as long as it isnt red to the front or sides, and you carry the proper ID(VFF/VEMT)

pzurich

Sep 16, 2011
Illinois
Laws in NY are written in such a convoluted manner that unless you are doing something INCREDIBLY stupid, or the Officer that pulls you is a dick, you can get away with just about anything, as long as it isnt red to the front or sides, and you carry the proper ID(VFF/VEMT)

Huh. In Illinois the law is pretty clear but they change it and don't put the word out. For example we just got an ID requirement but it's nothing government issued. It just has to be a "card" with a few pieces of information on it. Really vague requirement. So I just made my own, printed it on a sticker, stuck it on an index card and threw it in the glove compartment. I'm assuming you have some state issued permit? I think that's how NJ does it.

They also gave us flashing headlights IF you have blue grille lights. Haha what a convoluted requirement, but still a gift.

About the dickweed officers, once nice thing about living way out in the country is the cops never come here for about anything, let alone have enough time to waste getting a firefighter pissed off at them. On the other hand the lack of enforcement leads some guys to some real whackadoodle setups. What can you do. We get one or two cops for fires, wrecks, domestics, and that's about it unless we request them. When I worked up in the suburbs they would respond to everything, even medicals, and of course beat us there since they're already out on the road, but it was nice having a canary in the coal mine first, if you get my drift, to calm things down for a minute and set the tone. Also made finding the location easier--just look for the squad car ;) Out here in the country we're first there and somtimes that's an awful lonely position to be in... have to stage if it's a domestic or something-- can be a long wait too. Sometimes the dispatchers will work the system, checking with other counties, a couple of nearby towns (~15 min away) who have part time officers, and the state, to see if anyone else is closer, but usually we wait. And concealed carry is a bozo no-no in the station so we are pretty much defenseless unless somebody figures out a loophole on that new law.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Huh. In Illinois the law is pretty clear but they change it and don't put the word out. For example we just got an ID requirement but it's nothing government issued. It just has to be a "card" with a few pieces of information on it. Really vague requirement. So I just made my own, printed it on a sticker, stuck it on an index card and threw it in the glove compartment. I'm assuming you have some state issued permit? I think that's how NJ does it.
Kinda. Fireman's Association of the State of New York sends out "Blue light cards" to be signd off on by your chief...only, noone ever has them. Usually they just ask for proof of membership to whatever department you are claiming to be a member of. I have seen guys arrested for False Personation, and impersonation for using lights after being thrown out of their departments.
I dont think the charges stuck though...at least the false personation ones

About the dickweed officers, once nice thing about living way out in the country is the cops never come here for about anything, let alone have enough time to waste getting a firefighter pissed off at them. On the other hand the lack of enforcement leads some guys to some real whackadoodle setups. What can you do. We get one or two cops for fires, wrecks, domestics, and that's about it unless we request them. When I worked up in the suburbs they would respond to everything, even medicals, and of course beat us there since they're already out on the road, but it was nice having a canary in the coal mine first, if you get my drift, to calm things down for a minute and set the tone. Also made finding the location easier--just look for the squad car ;) Out here in the country we're first there and somtimes that's an awful lonely position to be in... have to stage if it's a domestic or something-- can be a long wait too. Sometimes the dispatchers will work the system, checking with other counties, a couple of nearby towns (~15 min away) who have part time officers, and the state, to see if anyone else is closer, but usually we wait. And concealed carry is a bozo no-no in the station so we are pretty much defenseless unless somebody figures out a loophole on that new law.
There was a joke in my former dept, which is in a village, that runs a 3-car-per-shift Police force:

How do you find the the building that's on fire?
Its the one with the cop car in the driveway
How do you find the closest Hydrant?
2nd cop car is blocking it
Well where is the 3rd cop car?
Somewhere else in the way

Best time to rob a bank in that village is when there is a structure fire.

Reactions: NVFD612

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.