Sapphire inoperable

Hogie778

Feb 27, 2021
Upstate NY
1st time installing a Sapphire. Controller has 2 green lights a double flashing error light. Control head flashes a blue light in the SW-0 position. No backlight although the backlight & ignition wires are connected. Light bar is connected, but will not function. Instructions say to check Light bar i/o ... advice?

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
check your programming. do you have a lightbar programmed into the system? This has happened to me multiple times with my Cantrol when the expansion module i have isn't communicating properly. when they don't communicate properly my control head is inop.

k9SAR652

Jun 21, 2021
Washington
You may have to check the "enable legacy lightbar pattern" box in the transfer window.
Also, if you lose power to the bar, it will say check the I/O board.
Mine failed to load and wouldn't work. Rewriting the file with the legacy box checked corrected the issue.

MaxxedOut

Aug 29, 2021
NH, United States
1st time installing a Sapphire. Controller has 2 green lights a double flashing error light. Control head flashes a blue light in the SW-0 position. No backlight although the backlight & ignition wires are connected. Light bar is connected, but will not function. Instructions say to check Light bar i/o ... advice?
I'm having the exact same issue with mine. Any official resolution?

k9SAR652

Jun 21, 2021
Washington
Screenshot_20210831-110440_Drive.jpg
Screenshot, click backlight. I have two sapphires. I took the backlight enabled control head out of my semi and put it in my k9 unit, no longer had backlight. It was turned off here...

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
View attachment 232303
Screenshot, click backlight. I have two sapphires. I took the backlight enabled control head out of my semi and put it in my k9 unit, no longer had backlight. It was turned off here...
That screenshot is in the preset menu when selecting your hardware. If your program is already built, with the correct control head, you can’t go back and change those presets. The backlight is turned on or off in the outputs menu under your control head.

k9SAR652

Jun 21, 2021
Washington
Ok, then... all I'm sayin is we had to turn it back ON in my 2nd sapphire. It was already on in my 1st one.
Which is what I said to begin with... if it's not bavklit, it's been turned off in Command and needs to be turned back ON.
That screenshot is in the preset menu when selecting your hardware. If your program is already built, with the correct control head, you can’t go back and change those presets. The backlight is turned on or off in the outputs menu under your control head.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Just another thing to check, make sure that you have selected the right control head, not the WCX control head.
In this case, I don’t think that the problem has anything to do with the backlight settings. The control head would still turn things on and function. There is an error somewhere. Its either faulty hardware, or the wrong hardware in the program.

MaxxedOut

Aug 29, 2021
NH, United States
in any case, im still having issues even getting my sapphire to work.. the exact same problem in the original post. red light blinking with two green lights next to it... blue light blinking in the SW-0 position on the control head. anyone know how to change that? ive tried about everything i think.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Disconnect everything from the WeCan network. Write a quick simple program with no lightbar. Does the error code go away?
Does the error code change if you disconnect the control head? Try hooking up your control head with a new cable.
And again, make sure that all of your hardware matches the programming. Ive seen similar problems to this when the wrong control head was programmed.
Is it a used sapphire? It could be a bad control head.

MaxxedOut

Aug 29, 2021
NH, United States
Disconnect everything from the WeCan network. Write a quick simple program with no lightbar. Does the error code go away?
Does the error code change if you disconnect the control head? Try hooking up your control head with a new cable.
And again, make sure that all of your hardware matches the programming. Ive seen similar problems to this when the wrong control head was programmed.
I'lI have to try writing one without a lightbar, and I'll get back to you. The control head did not come with the sapphire, it was bought separately.

Is it possible having a WecanX control head, with a Wecan lightbar could be my issue? I'll have to check later if that's the case, but you mentioning Wecan made me think of it.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I don’t think that a WeCanX control head is compatible with Sapphire. I know that Core is compatible with non-WCX, but I don’t think WCX will work with anything but Core.
What control head are you using?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Core is the main box, like your Sapphire. Core supports WCX. You need a non-WCX control head. Any Whelen control head that isn’t WCX should work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.