Sapphire not connecting to Command

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I got an as-is Sapphire brain for cheap. Rolled the dice right there. Got all of the cables and a control head. Powers up fine, relays work and the siren driver works. WeCan light is steady green. get a double flash on the error light. Looked at manual and it says check bar i/o. No bar's connected so that might be it. Using the WC port anyways.

Thing is that when I connect the USB cable to program it, the computer registers the brain, but Command says not connected. Ok ran into this with my old HHS2200. I'd disconnect the unit from power and reconnect and it'd be fine or I'd disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it or do both and it'd be fine.

Tried this with the Sapphire and same deal, computer registers it but Command doesn't.

What's going on here? Hopefully not a dead USB port. That'd be the same as a dead brain imho.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Also remember to check your computers settings for the usb roothubs and make sure that power management is set to not allow the computer to turn off this port to save power, this is a known issue when programming or using anything usb that cannot wake up the device. Make sure it's unchecked.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Tried that. Still nothing. I really don't want to call Whelen tech support as the product's warranty is expired and my guess is that this won't work to my advantage.

USB drivers are up to date. I could try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB hubs. Given that I'm always an optimist, I'd say that the USB port on the brain is buggered. If that's the case, I'll have to start searching for a working brain for cheap.

I'm hoping that this can be fixed, but I dunno. Might the error light flashing (double flash) be a factor in this?

Last edited:

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Tried a different cable as well and a different usb port? One of those reasons to hate usb cause they fail so easily, esp charging points.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I've tried all of the ports on that laptop, and I'll go get another cable. I could also try my clunky ol desktop.

The laptop fully registers the device and says that it's set up and ready. This is what puzzles me. It's an older Sapphire, so maybe I should be using the old standalone Sapphire programming software? I have a copy somewhere.

Perhaps it has to do with the error light double flashing. The install manual said to check the lightbar i/o in that case. Maybe hook it up to a bar?

EDIT: Tried the one remaining port on that laptop. No go. Funny because I've used it without issue to program my old HHS2200 and my HHS3200.

Last edited:

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
What is the interface box it describes and how do you turn the controller box on or off??? I couldn't find data on that.. when I get into work I'll send an email to my tech guy at whelen for some insight.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I'm using a regulated power source to power it on/off w/ the r/b ignition wire connected to +. What is the interface box? Thank you for asking a tech at Whelen about this. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Awesome! Thank you!

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
You won't like it... He says it sounds like the usb port is the issue, I posed multiple questions to him, his response was try another cencom. I'm guessing that he doesn't know and the best answer is to pay the 139.00 ( I think that's what the cost is ) to let them check it out and tell you how much to fix it.. not the answer I like either! Sorry

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Figured as much. It's ok. I can find another Sapphire brain. Not about to spend that and have Whelen charge me a fortune for a repair.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
The hammer approach is enticing, but that's the option of last resort. I'd rather pop it open and see if something went poof. If not, then the whamming begins. I'll try a deadshot mallet first. Go easy on it. Then out comes something more assertive. Profanity helps fix things too.

I think that throwing it through an obnoxious neighbor's window would work the best, but then I lose the brain and get busted but LE might be sympathetic. Actually, although they use Whelen bars, police here use D&R siren/controllers, so they might not be. Back home where it's Whelen country they would, although they'd look down on a mere Sapphire unit when they're running Carbide or CanTrol.

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Pretty much what I know about electronics is that they all run on smoke. Because once the smoke escapes, they tend to stop working. ‍

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Just remember you can get further with a kind word and a baseball bat ( or 2 x 4 your choice ) then you can with just a kind word!

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I opened it up. Pretty dusty inside but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I'm done with it. Hoping to find a brain that actually works. Is what it is but I can't say that I'm tickled pink about it.

Not even worth the hammer treatment. This POS has eaten up enough time and effort.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.