Sappire driving 2 different light bar boards

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Has anyone ever tried running more then one liberty i/o boards off of the wecan port of a cencom sapphire I have a duo liberty 1 wecan and a solo wecan liberty 1 i/o board I'm wondering can these both be ran off of the wecan port on the sappire? I'm looking to run the solo board to run parameter lights one head per channel or color per channel can this be done? I would like to use what I have vs buying something else because of inport taxes and tarrifs being placed on any shipments from the states to Canada makes getting things hard :( any help or info would be an incredible help in getting rid of random blob patturns to something more proper

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Has anyone ever tried running more then one liberty i/o boards off of the wecan port of a cencom sapphire I have a duo liberty 1 wecan and a solo wecan liberty 1 i/o board I'm wondering can these both be ran off of the wecan port on the sappire? I'm looking to run the solo board to run parameter lights one head per channel or color per channel can this be done? I would like to use what I have vs buying something else because of inport taxes and tarrifs being placed on any shipments from the states to Canada makes getting things hard :( any help or info would be an incredible help in getting rid of random blob patturns to something more proper
Ive noticed that there isn’t a whole lot of Whelen knowledge in this forum. If you use Facehole, there is a Whelen Command group. Somebody would have an answer to this question within minutes.

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
You asked about two Liberty boards...sorry I don't have exactly that.

FWIW, I have a Freedom (2008) and a Liberty (2015). I'm trying to control them both simultaneously with a Sapphire (2012).

I can't get them to work reliably.

While the Freedom is old (back when the pattern table data was burned in at the factory), the Liberty supports dynamic loading of the pattern table and I suspect when the Sapphire first talks to the lightbar (it thinks its only talking to one), that the Canbus messages coming back (from the additional lightbar) are confusing it into thinking it needs to re-download flash-pattern timing data.

This doesn't cause a problem with the Freedom but the Liberty seems to get messed up (I have to turn off the Freedom and run just the Sapphire and Liberty to recover).

I tried the "Pre Legacy Lightbar Pattern Table" option in Command but while it appeared to (or coincided) with positive results, it too went on fail.

To further explore this, I spun up a Canbus observer and sure enough, it looked like the sapphire was engaged in downloading pattern table data but I haven't had time to really pick over the messaging.

In an attempt to untangle this more quickly, I found more stability with this sequence:

1. Power-On -> Sapphire and Liberty (allow them 5-10 seconds)
2. Power-On -> Freedom
3. Turn on warning function (all front heads flashing ZigZag-8).

but it doesn't seem worthy of being in a production situation.

If I get another "old" board to test with, I'll report back but at the moment, it seems to me it might only work under a very precise set of conditions and I wouldn't put it in any situation where lives/property depended on it unless the vendor renders some kind of blessing.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I personally have a liberty solo board and a liberty duo board my guess is it will probably do the same thing your freedom and liberty combo is but I'm not sure it would be cool to have it work

dmorrill22

May 16, 2019
VT
I personally have a liberty solo board and a liberty duo board my guess is it will probably do the same thing your freedom and liberty combo is but I'm not sure it would be cool to have it work
I'm looking at doing this as well. I did some quick tests a while back with a wecan control point and got both boards to flash, but I can't recall if they were synced well and didn't run it long enough to notice any issues.

If you get your setup working, be sure to update us!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.