SAR recommendations

sar92wa

Nov 4, 2019
WA
Hi all, newbie to all this and just joined up with a local search and rescue group. I live a ways out from the station so likely any calls I go on will be with my personal vehicle, so looking to add some lighting. We're allowed amber only and likely any usage will be gravel roads or side streets so want to keep it simple.

Does anyone have any actual experience with xprite products? Don't want to spend a fortune given my most likely limited use but also want something that will last. Thinking a flip down visor light and maybe a small arrowstick for the rear, vehicle is a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/input!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Welcome to the site. You will likely get a lot of input / feedback on this. Xprite is a pretty low quality, import brand. There are better quality import brands that have warranties which will be honored by their sellers (Advanced Warning Lights and Strobes n More, for example). For your needs, you are likely better off buying a used name brand product (Whelen, Federal Signal, SoundOff). Cost will be similar to new imported stuff, but the name brands time and time again have been shown to be brighter and of better quality.

Reactions: pdk9 and Sparky_911

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I’m not a fan of the visor lights. Nowadays, dash lights are so low profile (around 2” tall) that you can mount them out of the way and not have to worry about flipping the visor down when needed....behind the RVM is ideal, centered dash works, or passenger side headliner is an option.

AWL dash light or strobes n more dual threat dash light in the front, and a SNM E64 Stick or AWL smart stick in the rear. I do not think that you need a traffic advisor on the rear lightstick, because I highly doubt that you’re going to be doing traffic control with your POV in a SAR capacity (plus it’s 2-3 more switches needed); I’d only consider a TA if you were Fire Police . Amber flashing is plenty, but I would maybe consider a dual color amber/white with rear white flood for on scene usage to illuminate area

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Being in SAR myself I agree with pdk9. Warning to the rear (no TA), dash light and maybe a throw light for the roof to get a good 360. Basically just enough to let traffic know you're there.

I also think that adding scene lighting can be more beneficial than warning. When used properly it lights up the area around your vehicle and not blind traffic. Makes it easy to prep dogs and lets motorists see you. Strobesnmore makes several products that have both warn/flood (I own several and love them) that would fit well. Feniex is another brand that does the same.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Hey, former King County 4x4 SAR member here. If you want to get some decent quality used stuff, talk to the guys at FCI in North Bend. That's where I used to buy most of my stuff. Picked up a loaded MX7000 off of them for $100 back in the day. (I think it was a Tuesday.)

sar92wa

Nov 4, 2019
WA
I was contemplating just throwing a full size bar on top, i will contact FCI and see what they have. A couple guys on the team have some white strobes but i will probably play it safe and just stick with amber

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I would recommend that. When I was in, our SAR Deputy from KCSO gave us copies of the WAC, which clearly stated amber only for SAR units, and that'll be the best way to avoid any issues with local LE. I forgot to post, find them at fcicars.com

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
$20 bucks autozone it's just a light to let people know your car is parked your not responding.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191205-152136_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191205-152136_Gallery.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 7

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
$20 bucks autozone it's just a light to let people know your car is parked your not responding.

Yes, but will it be flashing after 5 minutes, or doing it's best impression of a JDI product?

sar92wa

Nov 4, 2019
WA
I should have specified, it's a 4x4 unit - so if i'm using my own rig they highly recommend having lights, and they will likely be on for hours at a time as we do a lot of equipment transporting. After talking with some other team members recommend a magnetic mini bar, so i will try to find a quality used one, budget is already getting tight with buying the rest of my equipment lol.

The team does offer emergency defensive driving classes through the sheriff's office to get certified to run code, however I have no interest in doing that in a volunteer capacity so I will just stick with ambers.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I never asked, what county are you volunteering with?

sar92wa

Nov 4, 2019
WA
I never asked, what county are you volunteering with?
Sorry for late reply, haven't been on lately since my onboarding was put on a hiatus due to covid (did all background checks etc, then all meetings and trainings were canceled at the beginning of the year ) but I am joining up with Skagit county. Also no longer have the Trailblazer, but a Lincoln Navigator so should be interesting haha

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.