Secondary siren control

NY743EM

Dec 3, 2015
NY
Yesterday I found the merit of having a secondary means of controlling a siren. The control knob broke on our rigs 12 year old Whelen siren...as I was entering a major intersection with a red light transporting a patient driving code. Thankfully both our ambulances have horn controlled sirens. Just an FYI: Not a bad option when building out apparatus, something I never cared for until now.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Yesterday I found the merit of having a secondary means of controlling a siren. The control knob broke on our rigs 12 year old Whelen siren...as I was entering a major intersection with a red light transporting a patient driving code. Thankfully both our ambulances have horn controlled sirens. Just an FYI: Not a bad option when building out apparatus, something I never cared for until now.

It’s pretty standard to have HF control of the siren when the rigs are built, and many rigs typically have a rocker switch that allows you to select the steering wheel to control horn, air horn, or siren. For some reason, if this ever happens to you again, another option is to press the MAN button b/c it will cycle through the 3 siren tones (just like the steering wheel does) when the unit is in HF mode, or it will allow you to use it as a manual tone or air horn if the knob is stuck in another position.

Reactions: firebuff17

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.