Seeking Advice: 2019 Ford Explorer Limited - HLF / TLF and Siren Mounting

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Just bought a 2019 Explorer Limited from Avis ... they're not renting nearly anything these days, so used rentals are a steal if a mechanic can establish they're mechanically sound... but I digress.

Besides my daily driver, I'll also be using this for off-duty traffic control jobs/lane closures (and yes, I'm a LEO).

First - I need a friendly mounting location for my Federal SSP3000, where can I hide that sucker? It will be bossing around a Valor and Rear Solaris ILS from a department's outgoing Charger... both will be setup with quick disconnects since I don't want to advertise "COP" 24/7.

There's a vicious rumor (here) that the Whelen SSFFP16 is plug and play with the civilian Explorer, if you add a trigger wire - can anyone confirm or deny? What HLF do you recommend?

For the TLF, I like the Brooking Industries alternating TLF, but I think I can build one way cheaper with a ULF44 and diodes to isolate - any arguments for or against?

As for getting through the firewall, after reading varying opinions and "oops" stories - I'm going to have a stereo shop run a 6 or 8 gauge main power wire and some 14ga bundled at both ends for future use (Grill Ions, Siren Speaker wire, HLF trigger, Rocket Launcher, etc.) - any reason not to go this route?

Thanks in advance!

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
I have installed a brookings headlight flasher on a civilian 17 limited worked fine. I have another for sale if interested

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I have installed a brookings headlight flasher on a civilian 17 limited worked fine. I have another for sale if interested
Please send me a price and a Venmo / PayPal address. It might be worth it not to cut into the factory wiring...

Thanks!

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
Also, if you take the wiper motor assembly out there is plenty of room to run cables through the factory location. Just cut a slice push cables through and silicone up. Really not that hard.

Attachments

• 20200321_151537_HDR.jpg
    20200321_151537_HDR.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: TacoMonster

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.