Selling on eBay?

Jayskerdoo

Aug 2, 2021
Chicago, IL
Hey all, any help is greatly appreciated on my current predicament. I found a New in Box Federal Signal Corporation AeroDynic 25RQL Lightbar from the 90's and have been trying to sell it.

1. I listed it on the AeroDynic facebook group, and it repeatedly got reported and removed (never once experience that lever of immaturity on collectible Facebook groups). They basically told me to f-off and go to eBay.

2. I listed it on eBay (with HUGE interest in the first 5 hours, hundreds of views, 2 bids, and 20 watchers) as an auction, and eBay REMOVED it: "you listed Red Flashing Vehicle Lights, but such Lights being closely resembling emergency vehicles, they cannot be listed on eBay"... despite them having a category for antique and collectible Firefighting and Firetruck memorabilia.

However, I do see that one guy has been consistently selling entire bars on eBay. It looks like he takes the domes off and does not include those in the photos though. Does anyone have experience with this? How do you get around the annoying algorithm that is removing the post? Maybe a flickr album link in the description? Naturally I want to get top dollar for this piece, and I feel that an auction is the way to go. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 20210731_165940.jpg
    20210731_165940.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 649471306.jpg
    649471306.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: OliverD and Nolines
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I've only been on Facebook for about 2 months and I cannot say I am surprised. I did see the Mod of the group come in and lay the ban hammer down. Not that I think that will help at all.

Ebay is a mixed bag, be forwarned that the same idiots can report you to ebay as well so expect shenanigans but hope for the best.

Good luck with your sale.

Rob

Reactions: Tony P

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Ebay may pull the auction for having black & white photos too. I have had many problems on flea bay. I find it is a hit or miss. I sold several items in color, with domes, and had no problems for quite awhile. Then.....things started getting pulled and the suspensions stared. I would go the no domes route and just mention it will come with protective covers, and leave it at that. If someone wants to know colors and the condition of the domes, they will enquire.

Nice bar BTW :)

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
No domes, no issue. The only problem eBay has with it is that it's identifiably red (or blue, green, purple...anything except amber or white). Remove those, and you're golden.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
I've seen a few sellers use the words antique, or obsolete in their wording. Less is more in the description.

I have seen this pop up in descriptions:

** Attention E bay, please do not remove our listing because it is under your Antique/Collectible Lights Category and does not violate any of your policies. This light does not represent any current use in Law Enforcement or FireFighting Capacity! This light is over 20 years old and is an antique collectible light for a man cave or era correct vehicle restoration. Thank you! ***

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I've seen a few sellers use the words antique, or obsolete in their wording. Less is more in the description.

I have seen this pop up in descriptions:

** Attention E bay, please do not remove our listing because it is under your Antique/Collectible Lights Category and does not violate any of your policies. This light does not represent any current use in Law Enforcement or FireFighting Capacity! This light is over 20 years old and is an antique collectible light for a man cave or era correct vehicle restoration. Thank you! ***
Ah yes..the ebay don't pull my auction statement. Tried that too. The flea bay police don't care. Many times it is either someone selling the same (or close to) item or some prude thinking "You can't sell that" and hit the "report this item" button. I had some jet filters up for auction, they got pulled. When I called to ask why, they just said "someone could put a flash light behind them and impersonate". What? seriously? This is the mentality of the ppl you are dealing with. :(

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Typically its the same "special people" causing issues on ebay as those on Facebook groups. I've met all sorts and some of my recent conversations on FB really highlight this fact. Between people being upset that they can't get a $300 blue lense for $50 so it gets reported. Or the people who just hate on everyone that has something they don't They just hit the report button and it gets flagged and pulled.

2 of my least favorite places to deal with FB Marketplace and CL. And I have only been on FB for 2-3 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: fp13-2 and Tony P

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.