Shipping a Fire Truck

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Has anyone ever shipped a fire truck? I am looking at having one shipping 1,500 miles and it would have to be on a lowboy. I have researched several different shipping companies and it is very difficult to weed out the fake ones. Most companies change names every so often to retain business so it is hard to tell which companies are legit or not. Any help would be great.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Hmm,

well I picked up a firetruck and drove it back to PA... lol Had police in VA and MD smiling and waving at me as I went down I95...

Seriously though, your best be is going to be a vehicle transport, or in this case a flatbed.

I shipped a 70 Chevelle via a car carrier but this is much bigger. Check out BBB reports and see if anyone can recommend a carrier. Its gonna cost $$$ depending on the size of the rig it may be the only thing they can move..

And on 2nd thought if it runs, you may wanna just drive it....

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Where's the truck located at and where is it going to? Also do you happen to know the length, height, and weight of it?

U ship would be your best bet but if you can give me some of that info I'll see if I can't personally recommend someone.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
GPC said:
Where's the truck located at and where is it going to? Also do you happen to know the length, height, and weight of it?

U ship would be your best bet but if you can give me some of that info I'll see if I can't personally recommend someone.

From New York to Louisiana over 1,500 miles

1981 American LaFrance Century

Width: 8ft 2in

Length: 30ft 10in

Height: 9ft 3in

Weight: 22,000lbs

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
I would take a look at Miller Transfer. Their website is Miller transfer.com.

These guys move anything and everything and have a shop in NY.

Another company to look at is mangumshauling.com They may be a bit more as they are based out of NC but run everywhere.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
If you pay for my plane ticket to NY, fuel/meals on the road, and my plane ticket back to SC I'll move it for you!

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
I've had 2 shipped over the years. The first from NC to FL, used a local trucking company here in FL that did it as a backhaul. That saved me a little money. The second from ME to FL I used USHIP to find a carrier. I don't remember their name but they bundled different loads on and off the truck as it came down the east coast so I wasn't the only one footing the bill for the entire trip.

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Where in NY and is this beast inspected/road worthy?

Do you have a photo?

Last edited by a moderator:

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
GPC said:

That's the last place I would look - a bunch of fly by night hotshotters who think they can be on shipping wars moving stuff with a 1988 F350 and an overloaded gooseneck trailer.

You're best bet is to use a broker. I had one shipped from Los Angeles to north MS for $1500. You'll pay more for the lowboy. You would be able to put that on a regular flatbed if you can have it picked up and dropped off at a facility with a drive on/off loading dock.

Even if it is driveable, do not do it or have anyone else do it for you. By the time you pay for just plane tickets and fuel, you will be close if not more than what you can get it shipped for. Even if you saved a couple hundred dollars, have it break down somewhere in between and it will cost you thousands! Pay to have it shipped.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
If you want flat bed, it would probably have to be a drop deck. Personally, I'd try to find a carrier in the destination city because as was mentioned before, carriers are willing to cut deals on back hauls just so they don't lose money coming back.

EDIT:

You may want to look here. That is the current rates for flatbed trucks broken down by region. Most of the trip you specified looks like it's going to cost you about $2.70 a mile right now. Those rates are supposed to be updated weekly, so keep that in mind as a resource when planning your budget for the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

munisafety

Aug 31, 2012
Nc, usa
JohnFireFan said:
Has anyone ever shipped a fire truck? I am looking at having one shipping 1,500 miles and it would have to be on a lowboy. I have researched several different shipping companies and it is very difficult to weed out the fake ones. Most companies change names every so often to retain business so it is hard to tell which companies are legit or not. Any help would be great.

I shipped a cascade truck 22gvw,did some research using HEMMINGS motor news they have auto shippers in it. Shipped with out a hitch

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
do the lights and sirens work? if they do just respond code 3 in the bastard from new York all the way to lousiana the cops wont stop you because you will look like your on official business and such...

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Station 3 said:
do the lights and sirens work? if they do just respond code 3 in the bastard from new York all the way to lousiana the cops wont stop you because you will look like your on official business and such...

And drive through DC like that too, they'd get a kick out of it. :D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.