Shotgun Release Trick

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I outfitted several cruisers for my department with a unique shotgun release button that was hidden in plain sight. We were concerned that unauthorized persons could access the electric gun racks if they were able to find the switch. The alternative was to keep long guns in the trunk, which administration wanted unless we could convince them of an alternative. Before this, 2 switches were mounted under the dash, 1 on the passenger side, and 1 on the driver's side. (The controversy started when a civilian cleaning a cruiser found the gun lock switch) The old switches were also inconsistently mounted due to a mixed fleet.

I took and old 4 pin Motorola 2 way radio microphone, and cut off the connector. I wired the mic to the shotgun rack so that when the mic PTT button was pressed, the gun lock released. I mounted a standard mic holder on the console with the other 2 mics so the dummy mic blended in.

This configuration also eliminated the need for a a gun lock timer, as the mic was still on it's coiled cord and could be "keyed" while in one hand while grabbing the gun with the other. (Admin. was cheap and wouldn't buy timers)

Before this modification, it was almost impossible to push the release button and grab the gun without dislocating your shoulder!

I invited several officers to try and figure out how to release the shotgun, and no one ever figured it out. The mic blended in, and no one could tell it wasn't mounted to a radio with all of the other equipment crammed into the console.

We found this to be simple, cheap, and very effective, and it sure beat locking our guns in the trunk.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
I give you kudos for thinking of something like this but generally, it's not a good idea when it comes to officer safety for three reasons. One, it's more ways for it to fail with the wiring, it's not sized for shotgun locks. Secondly, if the mic is knocked loose,... Third, any unauthorized person can jump in, key up the wrong mic and hear the lock "click", an open invitation to theft or worse.

The best bet is to use two shotgun buttons of any combination in conjunction with a timer. I'm not going to beat around the bush with clients about the importance of timers and it doesn't take me more than 1 minute to effectively ram home the officer safety & theft aspect.

Sometimes one of the buttons is already integrated with Smart Sirens and similar sirens. You can even use the trunk release button as part of the setup if the weapons are mounted in the trunk. The first button triggers a delay timer that provides power to the second button for a short time. Both locks can be in plain view since a sequence must be performed for it to work. The Smart Siren is equipped with a security timer feature of 8 seconds, necessitating pushing two buttons, one the lock and the other the standby key to complete the unlocking.

On some locks, they are intentionally modified / adjusted to eliminate the "click" locks make to prevent unauthorized use should someone stumble on the sequence by accident.

Not to rain on your parade but I wouldn't mess with using something that has a potential to fail right when the officer needs it the most.

signal12

May 22, 2010
long island new york
i understand not wanting something to fail right when i need it, but id be damned if i would want to wait 8 seconds for something when i need it now!

with todays technology, there has to be something better such as a fingerprint reader or some other biologically operated device. even a six switch switchbox can be configured so as the right combo of switches must be on to release weapon.

i also think the mic idea is excellant! if your doing something in a law enforcement vehicle you should not be in, your not gonna get on the radio and start talking. at least i would'nt!

ed

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I appreciate your point of view, but I don't agree with most of it, based on our experience.

We briefly used the switches on the siren/switch box. The switch was found multiple times by curious passengers. Luckily, they were explorers, and not bad guys. The switch was not labeled. The under-dash switches got discovered by a jail trusty cleaning our cars. Now THAT was bad, and led to this whole thing.

Secondly, the dual switch idea you propose seems to have more points for the wiring to fail. This was one simple switch. In over 10 years of doing this in many cars, we never had a failure. Having to push 2 switches at the same time under stress sounds way too hard for me.

My mic got "keyed" exactly once during the entire time we did this. The explorer who did it even heard the audible click, and still didn't figure it out. (explorers sure are nosy!)

Obviously, a timer would help in any situation, but like I said, admin. didn't see it that way. I had free reign over almost everything we did equipment wise, but I lost this one. Apparently, a former installer convinced the chief that timers had a high failure rate. Go figure........

Anyway, to each their own. I hope this reply doesn't sound defensive, because I truly do appreciate differing points of view. What worked for us may not be a solution for others.

SilveradoPOV

Jul 18, 2010
Autryville,NC
crescentstar69 said:
I outfitted several cruisers for my department with a unique shotgun release button that was hidden in plain sight. We were concerned that unauthorized persons could access the electric gun racks if they were able to find the switch. The alternative was to keep long guns in the trunk, which administration wanted unless we could convince them of an alternative. Before this, 2 switches were mounted under the dash, 1 on the passenger side, and 1 on the driver's side. (The controversy started when a civilian cleaning a cruiser found the gun lock switch) The old switches were also inconsistently mounted due to a mixed fleet.

I took and old 4 pin Motorola 2 way radio microphone, and cut off the connector. I wired the mic to the shotgun rack so that when the mic PTT button was pressed, the gun lock released. I mounted a standard mic holder on the console with the other 2 mics so the dummy mic blended in.

This configuration also eliminated the need for a a gun lock timer, as the mic was still on it's coiled cord and could be "keyed" while in one hand while grabbing the gun with the other. (Admin. was cheap and wouldn't buy timers)

Before this modification, it was almost impossible to push the release button and grab the gun without dislocating your shoulder!

I invited several officers to try and figure out how to release the shotgun, and no one ever figured it out. The mic blended in, and no one could tell it wasn't mounted to a radio with all of the other equipment crammed into the console.

We found this to be simple, cheap, and very effective, and it sure beat locking our guns in the trunk.

I think it was a great idea,nobody would never no to key a mic to release a weapon,great job.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Signal12,

I may not have made it clear earlier regarding the two button method. It is not designed to have them be pressed simultaneously. When the first button is pressed, a timed ouput (8 seconds) provides power to the second button which is very close to the gun itself to facilitate easy removal. It is not uncommon to have dual powered inputs (hot & ignition) to provide power for the second button. An example, the Smart Siren shotgun output (with a clear label) is controlled by the ignition through the dry contacts of the "E" relay and another hidden button that's set for hot.

If someone were to press this hidden hot button, no audible sound is heard from the gunlock as long as the second button is not pressed within 8 seconds.

Does it make sense?

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
EVM, I've never had a shotgun rack...but having to hit two separate buttons under stress raises concerns for me. I guess I'd have to try it. It's still gross motor skills, and like everything, I suppose I would have to practice.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Mine is wired into my horn with a 2 second delay timer, so you have to hold down the horn for 2 seconds, that way either the passenger or the drive can easily get to it, and how often would anybody get in the car and slam the horn down? Note, the horns aren't hooked up!

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
While this is all good discussion, I think we should be careful discussing gunlocks in open forums. I know it's not rocket science to figure them out, but no need giving encouragement or ideas to thugs. In fact, the more unique or clever your idea is, the poorer the decision to discuss it becomes. Just sayin'.

dawson75

May 20, 2010
OHIO
C2Installs said:
While this is all good discussion, I think we should be careful discussing gunlocks in open forums. I know it's not rocket science to figure them out, but no need giving encouragement or ideas to thugs. In fact, the more unique or clever your idea is, the poorer the decision to discuss it becomes. Just sayin'.

Couldn't agree more

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
C2Installs said:

True. The fact that most every installation is different and the newer ink technology that sprays red dye when too many attempts are made to mess with the gun should help. It's way better than the electrical pack that's built in the gun, shocking unauthorized users because there's far too many seizures lately. Hope I didn't say too much. :-x

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
C2Installs said:

I'm going to disagree here, for three reasons.

First, the more ideas that we circulate, the more options we have, including combinations, which we might not have thought of. I like the PTT idea, but see a couple of reasons that I wouldn't do it that way -- though it gives me another idea . . .

Second, even if someone here is looking for ways to steal a shotgun, they have no idea which lock release may have been used, and which have been wired to set of the alarm. The more ideas they read here, the harder it will be for them to figure it out.

Third, by mentioning our ideas, others can tell us what's wrong with them -- which may SAVE LIVES.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Yep. The only thing I can think of that could make this better is a decoy "GUN RACK" button that would set off the alarms. Might have a problem with curious or forgetful LEOs though.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
Ipuvaepe said:
Yep. The only thing I can think of that could make this better is a decoy "GUN RACK" button that would set off the alarms. Might have a problem with curious or forgetful LEOs though.

I don't see this as a "problem." ;)

Seriously, as a pilot, I learned a LONG time ago to never flip a switch if I didn't know what it was supposed to do. It wouldn't hurt for this lesson to be reinforced.

Years ago, when you could buy PARTS at Radio Shack -- and the people behind the counter knew the difference between DC and blue light -- there was a box on the counter with a button on it. When you hit the button, a siren inside it would start, and everyone in the store could hear it. The manager, staff or whoever would shout "We have a winner!" Hitting the button a second time made it LOUDER. To get quiet again, you had to flip the box over. The circuit was simple -- a self-latching relay with a normally-closed mercury switch.

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
I was wondering, can you do this with the key in the ignition or without it?

Because this could be an extra measurement that it can't be taken out when the key is not in the ignition.

Now I don't know how it is, but I would say, that if you need to get your shotgun, you won't take the time to pull the key of the ignition.

But like I said, this is more a question.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
Something hit me last night about the PTT-to-unlock idea.

MIKE CORDS FAIL. To make a cord flexible, you have to make the leads thin. They break, and that could leave a cop with a shotgun stuck in the rack. A seriously buried backup switch might be a good idea.

If you look at the coiled cord on most older mikes, you see four leads (including the shield) -- two for the PTT and two for the mic element. Newer mics have more leads.

With a 4-wire cord, solder the Mic Ground to the shield at each end, and solder the PTT Hot and Mic Hot together at each end. This gives you twice the chance that it will work when he or she really needs it to work. If you have 6 or 8 leads in the cord, USE THEM ALL.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Sorry to say .. The mic idea as " cool " as it sounds is a bad idea. Grab the wrong one. your S.O.L. What we do is wire the gun timer in with the ignition override circut so unless the vehicle key is physicaly in the ignition and the car is in run is the only time the lock can be activated. If the vehicle is in park and the key is out , Even running the lock can not activate. All the wiring is done up under the dash and not readly avalible to the unknowing public so the argument that it can be hotwired is null. Done it for 14 + years this way never had an issue. When I do a trunk mounted rack its done with a hidden switch usually on the lid or hatch, somewhere not obviuous but the department knows.

nightwolf

Oct 26, 2011
US Northeast
I remember watching a show, i want to say "Borderwars" and it was about the Mexican cartel and how sophisticated they were becoming. In one clip, they showed a seized car with a hidden storage locker behind the back seat. To open the locker would require the driver to depress OEM buttons in a certain order (window and mirror controls i think it was). Sounds complicated, but if they can do it why not? each department could have a standard sequence to prevent confusion.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
nightwolf said:
I remember watching a show, i want to say "Borderwars" and it was about the Mexican cartel and how sophisticated they were becoming. In one clip, they showed a seized car with a hidden storage locker behind the back seat. To open the locker would require the driver to depress OEM buttons in a certain order (window and mirror controls i think it was). Sounds complicated, but if they can do it why not? each department could have a standard sequence to prevent confusion.

your show was CSI NY with the lady car theives

as for the gun lock he stated more the once Admin didn't want to pay for or use timers.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
nightwolf said:

In NYC we call those 'traps', very common for drugs and guns.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.