Show me your board mounted equipment

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
Exactly what the thread title says. I know a bunch of people on here will use a pierce of plywood and either paint it or cover it w/ some sort of material and use it to mount siren control boxes, radios, etc... Anyone have any pictures?

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
Don't have pics right now, but I used a clipboard to mount a remote siren amp lol. Worked perfectly, needed something small, and it fit the bill lol

smokin351

Feb 28, 2012
Bluegrass State
Nothing spectacular. Have a spot on the shelf with a siren/light and arrowstik controllers. The wires run to a quick connect/disconnect fuse block where I test lights and speakers. It's powered by a 12 volt battery with an inline fuse that is housed in one of those waterproof marine boxes. Reduces the amount of exposed gases when testing. It has the quick connect/disconnects on the battery terminals as well that come off for easy storage when not in use. I take it outside for trickle charging about once a year.

Currently I've been doing more storing and sorting than testing so my fuse block is currently hidden behind several lightbars. It is mounted to a piece of square plywood. Here is a pic of the controllers mounted to the shelf. Once I get everything cleaned up, I will get more pics.

ai123.photobucket.com_albums_o289_bharris351_20131115_213946_zpsf95ec5eb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Oh OK, I'll bite:

theboard.jpg

This is in the rear of a new body style F150 with a commercial topper. This is 3/4" plywood - there is a cover board made of carpeted 1/2" plywood that sits in front of this in normal operation. You can see the studs on the toolboxes where the cover attaches (via two hinges, plus some aluminum channel on the ground where it sits).

The equipment list is, roughly:

Cencom Red + Alpha22Q (pre-ban... no dying cow mechanical here)

Big-smoke power distribution, plus two stages of master power

5 XTL5000s (at this point)

2 TK-8180s

Icom ID-800 (hamsexy)

VRS750

And various other odds and ends.

The mess on the ground is a little cleaner - at the time of the photo, I had a few spare runs of coax.

smokin351

Feb 28, 2012
Bluegrass State
tvsjr said:
Oh OK, I'll bite:

View attachment 64162

This is in the rear of a new body style F150 with a commercial topper. This is 3/4" plywood - there is a cover board made of carpeted 1/2" plywood that sits in front of this in normal operation. You can see the studs on the toolboxes where the cover attaches (via two hinges, plus some aluminum channel on the ground where it sits).

2 TK-8180s

Icom ID-800 (hamsexy)

VRS750

The mess on the ground is a little cleaner - at the time of the photo, I had a few spare runs of coax.

Yeah....

That setup puts mine to shame but very nice job on your end! :thumbsup:

Harbor Patrol

May 22, 2010
NY
My board from a 2011 and 2012 Dodge Charger - was mounted on the back of the rear driverside passenger seat, just open rear door, fold seat down and you had full access to the board

SS2000SM, Omega90, Yaesu FT8900 Brain

ai832.photobucket.com_albums_zz248_HarborPatrol44_IMG_20130923_02220.jpg

Current Board: just finished, will post finished pic tomorrow, 2013 Dodge Durango, missing the Cencom in the pic

SS2000SM, Omega90, Yaesu FT8900 Brain, Rumbler, Cencom Red

ai832.photobucket.com_albums_zz248_HarborPatrol44_IMG_20131106_02523.jpg

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
Kd8bao said:
This is not board mounted but hard mounted to the plastic liner behind the seat of my double cab Tacoma

Forgive my ignorance, but what are those two units connected inline with your radio antennas?

Also, need some advice from you guys...

I've got a 2011 F150 Screw that I've mounted my equipment on the carpet into the rear metal of the rear wall behind the fold-down seats. I'd like to re-do this to make it look more professional, easier to maintain, and more secure. Obviously, I'm limited in space because whatever I do, I need to be able to put the seats back up and not have it hit the equipment. Do I need the carpet on that back wall? If not, I think I could remove that, and mount a thin piece of plywood direct to the metal and them mount my stuff the right way.

What do you guys think?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
it appears he has 2 dual band radios and for some reason he has added "reverse" duplexers to turn it into 2 antennas which makes useless the duplexer that is already in the radio... but i could be wrong. :crazy:

the carpet is only cosmetic... remove it and see whats behind it and then you can decide if you can "live" without it

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
Harbor Patrol said:
My board from a 2011 and 2012 Dodge Charger - was mounted on the back of the rear driverside passenger seat, just open rear door, fold seat down and you had full access to the board

SS2000SM, Omega90, Yaesu FT8900 Brain

ai832.photobucket.com_albums_zz248_HarborPatrol44_IMG_20130923_02220.jpg

Current Board: just finished, will post finished pic tomorrow, 2013 Dodge Durango, missing the Cencom in the pic

SS2000SM, Omega90, Yaesu FT8900 Brain, Rumbler, Cencom Red

ai832.photobucket.com_albums_zz248_HarborPatrol44_IMG_20131106_02523.jpg

Nice n' neat. Looking forward to seeing the Durango install.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
Jarred J. said:
it appears he has 2 dual band radios and for some reason he has added "reverse" duplexers to turn it into 2 antennas which makes useless the duplexer that is already in the radio... but i could be wrong. :crazy:

the carpet is only cosmetic... remove it and see whats behind it and then you can decide if you can "live" without it

When I researched this set up and talked to the manufacturer who is local to me, out was explained this way.

Yes there is a duplexer in the radio, and yes you can go with a dual band antenna but when you use a dual band antenna you are sacrificing one or both of the bands performance. By running it back through the freq filters and to 2 independently tuned antennas for specific freq you will get better performance.

On those radios I run UHF analog, VHF analog, UHF digital and VHF digital. I had a dual band antenna at first and it worked ok. Once I put these in I did notice a difference as well as the people hearing me. So it does work.

As well as being a customer we are also a dealer for EM Wave antennas who designed these units per the request of numerous public service entities that are moving to dual band radios that encompass say VHF and 800mhz. The matching wouldn't work.

Like I said, I have noticed a positive outcome.

Hope this helps

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
tvsjr said:
Oh OK, I'll bite:

View attachment 64162

2 TK-8180s

Icom ID-800 (hamsexy)

VRS750

Ok. I just have to see the rest of the vehicle. Especially all the antennas on the roof. :eek:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
twodogs603 said:
Ok. I just have to see the rest of the vehicle. Especially all the antennas on the roof. :eek:

Nothing special... the antennas on the roof are in a 3x5 grid. There's also two multi-band antennas on the cab for MIMO LTE/EVDO and MIMO dual-band WiFi, plus an antenna mounted on the front quarter panel for CB (helpful for finding wrecks).

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
bobbyj said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what are those two units connected inline with your radio antennas?

Also, need some advice from you guys...

I've got a 2011 F150 Screw that I've mounted my equipment on the carpet into the rear metal of the rear wall behind the fold-down seats. I'd like to re-do this to make it look more professional, easier to maintain, and more secure. Obviously, I'm limited in space because whatever I do, I need to be able to put the seats back up and not have it hit the equipment. Do I need the carpet on that back wall? If not, I think I could remove that, and mount a thin piece of plywood direct to the metal and them mount my stuff the right way.

What do you guys think?

The carpet on the back wall is primarily there to reduce noise and provide insulation. That's a fairly large piece of thin metal - it will make a lot of noise.

One trick the car audio guys use is to unmount and redrill the rear seats, sliding them forward a few inches. That may be more trouble than you want to go to.

Harbor Patrol

May 22, 2010
NY
heres the complete Durango Board installed in the rear cargo compartment. Wood panel was trimmed to fit right inside and allow for the Tire Jack to be accessed as well the hole in the middle to lower down the spare tire.

Only thing missing are the 3 wire harnesses from the cencom, white, blue, green, which should arrive this week.

ai832.photobucket.com_albums_zz248_HarborPatrol44_IMG_20131106_02524.jpg

Green wires are for the led SYNC (for all the side leds)

ai832.photobucket.com_albums_zz248_HarborPatrol44_IMG_20131115_02545.jpg

Used a computer desk grommet to cover the 2 holes where the wires come in from, after i used a hole saw

ai832.photobucket.com_albums_zz248_HarborPatrol44_IMG_20131125_02580.jpg

ai832.photobucket.com_albums_zz248_HarborPatrol44_IMG_20131113_02537.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.