Side warning - Highway Construction - 2018 GMC Canyon Crew Cab - Need Ideas

vartz04

Mar 23, 2012
Kendall County IL
Alright, so as of right now I have the following (STL Stuff will eventually get replaced but i had it from something else and needed lights on here)

Front - Two STL Z6 linear LED's Amber mounted in grill
Rear - Two Whelen Vertex Ambers in Cargo Light Housing (Provides off axis lighting better than the next item down)
Rear - Two STL Striker 1 TIR's in rear window

I have two STL Z4 Linear Amber LED's left over, and eventually all the STL stuff will be replaced with Whelen or Fenix. What I need is some ideas as how to give myself some side warning, I am not clearing traffic or anything but right now if you look from the side at my truck all you can see is a little bit of the Vertex in the cargo light housing. I would like to mount the two Z4's in the rear side windows somehow, or even exterior if you can give me a good idea. Side and Front are not as much of a concern to me as rear. 90% of the time i need the warning so people don't follow me into a jobsite, or when traveling down the road, they see something is going on ahead.

Here are a couple pictures of the truck when i got it and put the bed cover on.

Attachments

• truck side view.PNG
    truck side view.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • Truck Bed View.PNG
    Truck Bed View.PNG
    709.5 KB · Views: 6
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
How dark is your rear side window tint? Those STL lights are junk (not bashing, just stating facts lol) but if you're going to use them for a little while - I would mount them on your rear doors so they're facing out the window. Easy to run the wire behind the door and through the rubber boot into the cab then to your switch..

vartz04

Mar 23, 2012
Kendall County IL
It is just factory tint. Yes a lot of people have had problems with them and they are far from the brightest but I had bought a bunch of stuff from them for a golf cart, and a UTV, sold the UTV and took the stuff off of it. I haven't had any issues but I figure ill just swap it out as it fails. I am not an emergency vehicle so its no big deal if I have to throw a mag mount on the roof for a couple days.

Back on topic though.

so you are saying on the interior door trim with like a L bracket and face them out through the window? that should work but the way these doors are made I won't be able to get the light that close to the window. I guess I could do some double sided tape first to see how it works out. Life would be a lot easier if I just mounted a lightbar but its my personal vehicle that work pays for and I don't want to drive around with a lightbar all the time.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I agree with your lightbar comment. I single mini-bar up top would be a lot simpler to install and gives you decent 360 degree coverage. They make magnet mount bars that I THINK you could wire up and or even come with a cigarette plug that you could just throw up top on days you're working / need the lighting?

As for the door mount light option - I don't know exactly what the door panel looks like in your truck, but there are rotating brackets out there...I don't know if STL makes any, but Feniex, Soundoff, Whelen all have similar type that allows you to rotate the light so it's pointed where it needs to be regardless if the bracket is at an odd angle.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
If your are going to buy something new I love my intersectors. They have a surface mount and an under the mirror mount. They just seem brighter then all my other lights! Also I am a fan wiring up a led tailgate bar through an led STT flasher. It provides warning and STT function when needed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.