Side x Side Console

Code3EMT

Jun 16, 2010
California
I'm going to be putting several things in our new Polaris Ranger next week and wanted to know what console people have used (If you used one)? I need it for a Code 3 V-Con Siren, Digital Scanner and Motorola Mobile Radio. Not sure on particular types buy I know they will fit in regular troy or havis consoles cause they are the same as the ones in our rigs.

Let me know if you have done a side x side or if you have an idea on how to do it.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
I did one on another type of side-by-side but with a single Spectra radio and used an 80K amp wired to a rotary siren/lights controller as opposed to using a full cabinet. It was on a custom mount overhead but was on an aluminum body top. You should consider using a more compact lighting/siren controller and this would give you more flexibility in mounting the other two, perhaps in the center area under the dash.

Code3EMT

Jun 16, 2010
California
Thanks, thinking about a remote siren, but I think we may already have a V-Con we got on accident with our Mastercoms

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
i personally have never seen a console in a polaris. on most of the FD utilities that i've seen (gators and kubotas), they usually have rocker switches built into the dash and the mobile radio either mounted in a glove box-type area or directly beneath it (which i don't like, b/c i feel that it's like to get kneed/kicked a lot).

if u can, i'd look into the idea of getting a motorola remote head to mount on the dash and put the bulkier mobile radio elsewhere (in a compartment area with more room), since the remote heads are a lot smaller/less bulky than most of the standard mobile radios housings. For the v-con, i'd look into the possibility of replacing it with something easier to wire...i think that you could replace it with an inexpensive "undercover siren" (i.e. http://sirennet.com/unsirmodcod3.html if u want to stick with code 3) with the switch mounted on (or recessed) on the dash and for lighting, about 2 havis rocker switches next to the siren switch. if you don't like that idea, there's a company called ASAP that makes cool custom ambulances and brush rigs on polaris chassis; i haven't seen them make any with center consoles either but maybe if you can find some interior pics of their installs you can find some ideas u like ;)

any ideas on lighting for it?

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Code3EMT said:
Thanks, thinking about a remote siren, but I think we may already have a V-Con we got on accident with our Mastercoms

If you put the V-Con away somewhere else, pre-set the V-con to wail or other tones and use a switch up front to turn the unit on. If you're lucky to get an OFF/ON-1/ON-2 toggle switch, wire ON-1 to the lights and ON-2 for the siren.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I put a mobile in a Ranger along with some lights. I used the blank spots in the dash to mount the switches for the lights and mounted the radio on top of the center console where it's flat. I would do the same thing with your setup but stack the siren on top of the radio (on the dash) and put the scanner in the glove box with an external speaker.

No matter what you do, plan on having external speakers for both the radio and the scanner- the road noise and engine will drown out any sound from their small internal speakers. I mounted the external under the hood, facing down into the footwell. You can hear it great but you don't see it and it's not blasting towards your head.

Code3EMT

Jun 16, 2010
California
pdk9 said:
any ideas on lighting for it?

For Lighting we're thinking a Whelen Freedom Mini Bar, We feel like that will give the best 360 degree cover.

Then, two LIN6's to the front, one on each side on the rear support bar for the roll cage and two to the rear. We may or may not add two more to the rear.

Two Hella 500's Spotlights to the front, and then cheaper spotlight kits for left scene, right scene and rear flood.

It may sound a little overkill, but I think it's pretty good coverage.

After looking at the dash board, we might be able to cut into the plastic into the dash and stack the radio and siren controller and then put the scanner under the dash.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Code3EMT said:
For Lighting we're thinking a Whelen Freedom Mini Bar, We feel like that will give the best 360 degree cover.

Then, two LIN6's to the front, one on each side on the rear support bar for the roll cage and two to the rear. We may or may not add two more to the rear.

Two Hella 500's Spotlights to the front, and then cheaper spotlight kits for left scene, right scene and rear flood.

It may sound a little overkill, but I think it's pretty good coverage.

After looking at the dash board, we might be able to cut into the plastic into the dash and stack the radio and siren controller and then put the scanner under the dash.

i like the proposed lighting setup ;) def looking forward to seeing the finished product

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.