Signal Stat Bar and Lights

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Very nice! I was watching that too but saw local pickup only... Looked like he also had a pretty decent Whelen strobe bar as well

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I have a wide bell 75 watt Signal Stat speaker if you're interested to make that bar stand out more, Skulldigger ;) . Just let me know!

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Nice find.

It is a little odd because the lights are 374’s but with only two sealed beams each.

That should make the lights flash about 45-50 fpm instead of 90-100 fpm.

Michael

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Picked up the bar. It came with an extra blue Signal Stat 375 dome and a blue Federal F3 dome. Both need to be cleaned up and polished but so do the two Signal Stat 375's on the bar. I traced the wires and not all of them are connected so I need to strip it and start over. The motor on the right is not turning but the lights come on. The motor and lights on the left are working fine. Gee hope I can find someone who can fix that motor for me. (sarcastic face). The two alley lights are not coming on and I am not sure they are connected. Once I get them removed I can test them individually. They say "Carello" on the face of the glass and stamped into the metal housing. Never heard of them. Any advice appreciated.

A couple of pics to show they are complete. Ignore my messy work table. Motors are stamped 6-22-1973 and 9-18-1973, so this is a late 1973 bar. NICE.

By the way, two of the domes have tape on them. Anyone have a proven method for removing tape from these domes. Hopefully it has not ruined them yet.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Blue F3 dome.. WIN

And I just might know a guy who can look at that motor...... ;)

Reactions: Skulldigger

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Carello and Hella were popular off-road and fog lights in the 70's and 80's, law enforcement and EMS departments often used them as alley or scene lights. I have not seen a complete Signal Stat bar in a long time. Great find, Skulldigger!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Completely dissassembled and reassembled both lights. Same with the Carello's. Both are working now. Need a bulb for one side. Have ordered a new bulb and some more 7400's. It's looking good. Motors are nice and quiet after the overhaul.

Polished up this dome and it looks great. Will do the other side this evening. Blew a bulb. I had to resolder a tab on it yesterday, so it's just been trying to die.. Replacements on the way.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
These are individual 374s. Not chain driven. So they only do their thing.

So long as it doesn't hurt the gearbox, you could always just change the polarity on one of the motors. If you felt so inclined.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Skulldigger is correct, independently driven and both rotate in the same direction, counter clockwise when viewed from above.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
It is not so easy to do on a grounded motor housing.

The housing is screwed to the gear box that is screwed to the base that is grounded to the vehicle.

I have a Sireno 44660-0410 that is counter rotating. There are insulators in the holes for the mounting screws for the motor so it can have reversed Voltage.

Michael

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
You would have to switch the voltage to the motor brushes/electromagnet in order to reverse the motor, but this is a permanent magnet motor, so switching voltage will not reverse the motor, so it is impossible to do on this model.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I have the Signal Stat 389 Bar complete and restored. It looks fantastic ! Thanks to Crownvic97 for the Signal Stat 334 speaker, that really was a must for this bar. Will work on a video soon.

You're welcome, man! That speaker looks at home on that bar, heh heh! Glad to have helped out in your project ;)

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Reminds me of the introductory scene from one of the Rambo movies where the sheriff (Brian Dennehey I think) "un" welcomes Rambo to some sleepy small mountain town in Idaho. I believe it was the same set up.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The Signal Stat and Yankee products look similar, but there are differences if one looks closely.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I put together a video, but this light bar is hard to photograph. I need better conditions to get a good one. Right now in Georgia it is either to bright outside, too hot or raining. I will redo this in a month or so when it gets to be better weather.

Oh, I can feel the amp draw from here.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
That turned out really nice. Good work

Reactions: Skulldigger

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
If you look at that picture of the Yankee bar from Rambo, I don't think he could open that door if he needed to. Looks like the bar is clamped onto the door frame.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
If you look at that picture of the Yankee bar from Rambo, I don't think he could open that door if he needed to. Looks like the bar is clamped onto the door frame.
Them Ford LTDs did not have the full door. The pillar is stationary, so what you see is correct. See example below ;)

1978%2BS67%2BLTD%2Bpic%2Bc.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.