Signal Stat/SP Short Form Documentary

I've seen this documentary before. The only thing missing in it was information on the very first Signal-Stat electronic sirens, the Stat-VI and Stat-VIII, which were produced around 1973-74.

I've seen this documentary before. The only thing missing in it was information on the very first Signal-Stat electronic sirens, the Stat-VI and Stat-VIII, which were produced around 1973-74.
This is a reuploaded video from my old channel which was terminated after I lost access to it. I wish I knew more about early signal stat however information is sketchy all around, especially at the very beginning and end

If you have any more information on their early years please let me know
All I know is...
  1. The first NYPD vehicles to use the Stat-VI/Stat-VIII were the 1973 Plymouth Fury patrol cars, plus the lone 1973 Chevy Bel Air they used. Coincidentally, these were also the first RMPs to be painted in the famous blue & white color scheme and to use the Signal-Stat 9555 dual-beacon lightbar.
  2. The Stat-VIII is somewhat different from the Stat-VI in that it lacks a selector knob on the front to switch between "Yelp" and "Hi-Lo". See this thread: https://elightbars.org/forums/threa...t-nypd-siren-setup-new-pics-04-06-2011.12853/
  3. Both sirens lacked a "Wail" function for some reason. From what I was told, this was to distinguish NYPD vehicles from FDNY vehicles.
  4. There are certain movies that use recordings of these sirens, such as the original version of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three.

I have an early 1970s vintage Smith and Wesson Magnum IV siren, and it has the same yelp tone as the Stat VI. I think both were made by the same company. The yelp sounds very close to the late 1960s era Federal PA15A and PA20A sirens.

I have an early 1970s vintage Smith and Wesson Magnum IV siren, and it has the same yelp tone as the Stat VI. I think both were made by the same company. The yelp sounds very close to the late 1960s era Federal PA15A and PA20A sirens.
These were also sold under the Stephenson brand name, so I'm curious as to who originally manufactured them.

These were also sold under the Stephenson brand name, so I'm curious as to who originally manufactured them.
As far as I know there were five different brand names on the same siren:

Smith and Wesson Magnum IV
Stephenson Magnum IV
Signal Stat Stat V? IV?
Dietz OmniSound
Cat's Eye 7701

Someone told me that they might be made by made by Carson, but I'm not sure.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrmills2468