siren disabling

iwillits

Apr 9, 2011
grant county, IN
A lot of guys an gals in my area are wanting air horn only sirens because of the laws in our state but are not wanting to pay big bucks for products like carson hpk100 an whelen air horn plus. how do u go about disabling siren tones an keeping the air horn on full feature sirens?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Completely depends on which siren your speaking of. Each siren is made a lil differently... And because of that... We'd need to now exactly what siren you're speaking of in order to better assist you.

Thanks,

Seth

Miller88

Jan 24, 2012
USA Houston TX
I know that on a Unitrol Touchmaster Delta you can go air horn only by moving the Radio/OFF/P.A. switch into the Radio position. If there is no radio rebroadcast, there will be nothing coming out of the speaker except the Air horn and possibly PA function (I can't remember). If you ground the siren kill it would disable tones completely. On the Whelen 295HFS4 if you were to connect the horn ring to +12volts, it would activate the Manual function (which if your siren selector switch is in the P.A. position, it would produce an air horn sound). I am not sure if you could disable the siren tones on a Whelen system, however I am sure is could be done. Code 3 Mastercoms have a dip switch on the back which allows for air horn only operation but I personally do not like the Code 3 tones. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I have a great example for you. I just made my siren a remote mount and learned this much about it.

Whelen 295HFSA1. Its a 200Watt siren (200W air horn is great!)

The 295HFSA1 has a Power rocker, a tone knob, a PA volume knob, an air horn button and a manual button. Open the case (4 screws on the front) slide the inside out. Find the back of the manual button, and cut ONE wire to it (both wires are black and unmarked, so cutting both would require marking before cutting, so you can restore its function later if you can use it or if you resell)

After that, put the siren back together. Set the tone selector knob to P A. Remove the two small Allen set screws that hold the knob on, and remove the knob. There is no way it will turn without the knob or pliers! What you are left with, is an Air-horn button, and a PA.

The tones aren't "disabled" but you cant turn them on, and this way is REVERSIBLE so if laws change, departments change, or if you decide to resell, you can go back to a full feature siren with a couple Allen screws and a butt splice or soldering iron.

Here is a pic of the siren (from radioreference) http://forums.radioreference.com/attachments/old-classifieds-archives/23536d1247181084-federal-pa300-whelen-295hfsa1-siren-0714209-030.jpg

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I can make Federal Signal PA300 as air horn only and the siren tones is disabled in the way that all wiring is cut that would activate it. I rewire the horn ring to air horn trigger and the front switch up/down is air horn only (Siren is switched to air horn). The dial switch internal wires are cut and power is rerouted to be controlled with the main power/PA switch. In my later version I just remove the dial selector all together adding a cap as it does not do anything anyways. The ones I have do not have a PA mic, but the phone plug is there. You can also add a really nice peddle switch that you can get on eBay for $10 (item #170612980422) as I supply a 12v out so a remote switch can be added like this one. I have these modified PA300 in multiple vehicles and they work well and have never failed on me.

aimages9.fotki.com_v250_photos_9_14219_10756175_PA300MSCAHa_vi.jpg

aimages54.fotki.com_v627_photos_9_14219_10756175_PA300MSCAHb_vi.jpg

aimages55.fotki.com_v585_photos_9_14219_10464152_4f68cf48_vi.jpg

iwillits

Apr 9, 2011
grant county, IN
C17LVFD said:
Completely depends on which siren your speaking of. Each siren is made a lil differently... And because of that... We'd need to now exactly what siren you're speaking of in order to better assist you.

Thanks,

Seth

models that people are thinking of are mastercom an code 3 vcon. any other sirens that have been done would make for good information. much thanks

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
iwillits said:
A lot of guys an gals in my area are wanting air horn only sirens because of the laws in our state but are not wanting to pay big bucks for products like carson hpk100 an whelen air horn plus. how do u go about disabling siren tones an keeping the air horn on full feature sirens?

Don't take this the wrong way, but they consider $166.40 for and air horn and 100W speaker big bucks? That is $66.40 for a new air horn unit and $100.00 for a new speaker, and both come with a warranty. Over a possible used/unknown condition siren that has been hacked, with no speaker.

If that is the case, what do they consider a "reasonable price" for an electronic air horn? How about for a speaker?

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
My Whelen Beta 112r does air horn independent from the siren tones, it is its own wire. I have it hooked up to my horn relay in place of the factory horn, If i want to use the siren I have a main power switch that powers the handsfree portion of the siren. great siren and you can find them used for 75 bucks, but for that price you could go with the whelen air horn only. Another option is the little sho me sirens have the wail and yelp on an on/off/on and air horn on a momentary switch, just open the cover and pull the power form the siren tone switch tape it off and go about your day, they are simple blade connecters so you could remote the amp. Just my .02

iwillits

Apr 9, 2011
grant county, IN
SlickTop Solutions said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but they consider $166.40 for and air horn and 100W speaker big bucks? That is $66.40 for a new air horn unit and $100.00 for a new speaker, and both come with a warranty. Over a possible used/unknown condition siren that has been hacked, with no speaker.

If that is the case, what do they consider a "reasonable price" for an electronic air horn? How about for a speaker?

yes but as ive seen on here u can buy vcon and other siren amps for around $50 an a speaker for around the same price an stay under or at hundred a lot of us r just trying to save some money cause a lot of use are volunteers an buy this stuff to help ourselves get there safe an home to our families. much like other places there is only one full time fire dept in the whole county an the vollies take care of everything else.It just all depends on how u look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Sell the siren and get something w/o control, like an 80K amp for $20-$30 and then a used speaker for $50ish.... you're into it for less than $100. Wire it up accordingly to a momentary switch.

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
Step 1: Buy a siren unit that has a horn ring function. Whelen, federal, etc...

Step 2: Remote mount it

Step 3: Wire a momentary switch to the horn ring function, make sure the siren is set so that the horn ring activates the air horn.

Done.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Check out the Powercall website. They offer an airhorn only setup for about $125 or $150. Not bad. Small amp to go under the seat on in your console plus a switch or pushbutton.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
markko said:
Why not get a set of Wolo 416 air horns for about $50? They're real European alternating air horns and clear traffic as good as any siren.

Amazon.com: Wolo Model 416 Euro Emergency Metal Chrome Dual Trumpet Air Horn Kit - 12 Volt: Automotive

Back in the mid-60s I bought a set of horns that are similar to the Wolos except they were made by Jubilee, who's long since gone. They were two small horns that were attached to an alternating flasher. Cool hi-lo sound. They were loud, and back then sold for not more than $20. Too bad Jubilee's gone.

JohnnyAirtime

Jul 10, 2012
Alpine CA (91901)
iwillits said:
rwo978 said:
Sell the siren and get something w/o control, like an 80K amp for $20-$30 and then a used speaker for $50ish.... you're into it for less than $100. Wire it up accordingly to a momentary switch.

I've got several Unitrol 80K amps that you can buy... They are hide-a-way units, which allow you to wire up whatever function you need... or don't need.

Simple connections to wire in an air-horn via momentary button. I'd do $25ea plus shipping.

PM me if it sounds like something you need to hear more about, or are interested in setting up a purchase.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JohnnyAirtime said:
I've got several Unitrol 80K amps that you can buy... They are hide-a-way units, which allow you to wire up whatever function you need... or don't need.

Simple connections to wire in an air-horn via momentary button. I'd do $25ea plus shipping.

PM me if it sounds like something you need to hear more about, or are interested in setting up a purchase.

Have you solved your problem, Johnny?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.