Siren not to be used as a siren.....

Jul 4, 2013
Southeast Wisconsin
To begin, there will NOT be a speaker attached to any possible siren I purchase as I do not need one and it would be illegal in WI for me to do so, therefore opinions on tones is irrelevant. It is very possible this post is in the wrong place, if so please take my apologies and move it, just seemed this is where all the smart siren, cencom etc. posts are. I have a six switch lightning x switchbox I bought to hook up my feniex grill lights, dual avenger, side mounted lights and a awl (rocket) six head ta. However I can not find a place to mount this thing in my 2000 blazer. I have been looking into remote sirens, damega ultimate controller, smart siren, cencom etc. and it looks like one of those control heads would fit nicely in the garage door opener slot on my overhead console. Keeping in mind that I have minimal wiring experience and almost no knowledge on these type of controllers, what would be the best choice for me based on price and limited programming? Or if anybody knows of a good decent priced slim switchbox I'd be interested in looking into that as well. Thanks

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If you're buying new, I'd consider the Feniex 4200. The brain box is pretty small and you wouldn't be paying for siren functionality you're never going to use. It would also save you about $300 over a Cencom or Smart Siren.

That being said though you can get a Cencom or Smart Siren used pretty cheaply if you watch the classifieds. I've had both, and I like both. They are very solid units.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
I remember someone had 3 SmartSiren units yesterday for $135 each in the FS section

Jul 4, 2013
Southeast Wisconsin
Tom said:
I remember someone had 3 SmartSiren units yesterday for $135 each in the FS section

Thanks Tom, I did see that while going through the vast amount of posts that pop up when you type smart siren, it was here: http://elightbars.org/forums/f95/whelen-vertex-dominator-avenger-linz6-ss2000-talon-sa315p-ion-m7-m4-cencom-inner-edge-50000/ but it says it comes with main harness only. If someone wouldn't mind catering to a noob, is there any other harness I would have to find to make it work?

Iowamedic2013

Feb 14, 2014
Bellevue Iowa
Midwest blazer said:
Thanks Tom, I did see that while going through the vast amount of posts that pop up when you type smart siren, it was here: http://elightbars.org/forums/f95/whelen-vertex-dominator-avenger-linz6-ss2000-talon-sa315p-ion-m7-m4-cencom-inner-edge-50000/ but it says it comes with main harness only. If someone wouldn't mind catering to a noob, is there any other harness I would have to find to make it work?

You would need the cable that goes from the "brain" to the control pad..can be bought on ebay for about 10 bucks

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
CHIEFOPS said:
Brookings 993

Brooking Industries

Functions/features identical to FS SmartSiren absent the siren

I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement. We sell them and they are very nice but they don't have the programming flexibility that the a 'smart siren'esque system will. Also they aren't really a remote unit, all of the wiring terminates into the back of the unit so you need a little bit of clearance and you have to either run all of the wires for your equipment up to it or make your own wiring harness. We've done it before but it gets a little messy. If you go with a smart siren style product you can mount the brains wherever it is convenient and all you have to run to the control pad location is the wire for the control head. That's just my two cents though.

Jul 4, 2013
Southeast Wisconsin
I'm loving the input guys, great ideas, don't know what I'd do without this site. Sounds like I have a good chance of picking up a smart siren for around $150 and it seems like it's my best options aside from spending double on the remote Switch Box. The Brookings one would work great but I am worried about the depth. Attached pics with what I'm dealing with.

20140414_085514.jpg

20140414_085502.jpg

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Midwest blazer said:
I'm loving the input guys, great ideas, don't know what I'd do without this site. Sounds like I have a good chance of picking up a smart siren for around $150 and it seems like it's my best options aside from spending double on the remote Switch Box.

Nothing against the SS, but the Sho Me box isn't double the price

Able2 Sho-Me Undercover 8 Function Switch Box & Mini Controller - 31.8040 from SWPS.com

Able2 Sho-Me Undercover 4 Function Switch Box & Mini Controller - 31.4040 from SWPS.com

Jul 4, 2013
Southeast Wisconsin
Sorry guys, comparing used and new, just found a used ss for $135, and didn't have much luck finding a used SHO-ME which has an msrp of $299. Obviously msrp for a new ss far outstrips $300 but in the case of options I found it did indeed come out to about double. It would have been nice to find the show me second hand, think it might have fit nicer, but in this case the ss should work. I do appreciate all the input and hope this threads helps somebody else out, especially in the case that they have a truck as bad as the blazer to try and install in.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
code60a said:
I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement. We sell them and they are very nice but they don't have the programming flexibility that the a 'smart siren'esque system will. Also they aren't really a remote unit, all of the wiring terminates into the back of the unit so you need a little bit of clearance and you have to either run all of the wires for your equipment up to it or make your own wiring harness. We've done it before but it gets a little messy. If you go with a smart siren style product you can mount the brains wherever it is convenient and all you have to run to the control pad location is the wire for the control head. That's just my two cents though.

"programing flexibility"? Same flexibility as the SS, all switches are programmable. Physical installation parameters- front mount vs. remote mount, a fair comparison, but as far as function/features, they're the same.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
a SS/Cencom/etc control head will not fit in the tiny garage opener spot overhead. I have the same overhead console basically in my 2500HD and I couldnt find a spot for my cencom head ANYWHERE.

Jul 4, 2013
Southeast Wisconsin
7d9_z28 said:
a SS/Cencom/etc control head will not fit in the tiny garage opener spot overhead. I have the same overhead console basically in my 2500HD and I couldnt find a spot for my cencom head ANYWHERE.

Yeah I came to that same conclusion. My current plan once I get the thing in the mail is to see if I can take our the door behind the glasses slot which is more sizeable and possibly the glasses slot itself out. There seems to be absolutely no use for the third area and none for the glasses area either. Or maybe I'll work a bracket to attach to the garage door opener slot and it'll just stick over the edges a bit.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
you are better off with a small RAM type mount of your center console. Easier to see, less wire to run, etc.

Jul 4, 2013
Southeast Wisconsin
wrights lights llc said:
Mounting idea I kinda like it

Generally speaking that seems to be how I'm going to have to mount it, only problem I see is that it's going to take a lot of cord to get up there, but I'm only going to mount the brain behind the rear seats. Looks like it will be out of the way up there, yet easy to access.

Jul 4, 2013
Southeast Wisconsin
firemedic119 said:
If you're truly looking for just a nice switch panel without siren the Whelen PCC8R is a great option
View attachment 72772View attachment 72773

http://www.whelen.com/install/143/14326.pdf

I jumped the gun and grabbed a really decently priced smart siren, but should that not work, or I get sick of all the extra buttons I'll definitely have to look into that or the earlier mentioned sho me. Seems they both would have been perfect for my application, but maybe I'll shop around. I'm sure I could always sell that ss here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.