Siren speaker ignition cut off

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
hi all,
So I am facing a bit of a conundrum. On my vehicle I have my horn hooked up to a Whelen cantrol through one of the inputs. Sounding the horn sounds my air horn from the steering wheel. One of the issues I am facing is when I lock my car it chirps the air horn which is quite loud in an apartment complex when you get home at 2 in the morning.
I've tried to program the Cantrol to disable the horn when the vehicle is in park but it still sounds with the Locking of the vehicle. I was wondering if there is a way to put an ignition interrupter either on the input leading to the Cantrol from the factory horn or on the speaker output. My idea was to use a relay but I don't want the trigger wire to trickle any voltage into the system so that it either damages the speaker or triggers the horn.
Would something like this best be solved through programming (which I'm not sure how to do that programming, because my attempts failed) or would a relay work in this situation?

Thank you all for your suggestions and time!

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
If you use a Form C 12 VDC relay, you can wire the siren input through the Normally Open contacts from the horn circuit, and the factory horn through the normally closed set. Then have the relay energize from the ignition "on" or ACC power, so that the relay is only on when the ignition is on. When the ignition is off, the normally closed circuit will complete, allowing the factory horn to work as normal with no current draw

Reactions: FusionWolf

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
If you use a Form C 12 VDC relay, you can wire the siren input through the Normally Open contacts from the horn circuit, and the factory horn through the normally closed set. Then have the relay energize from the ignition "on" or ACC power, so that the relay is only on when the ignition is on. When the ignition is off, the normally closed circuit will complete, allowing the factory horn to work as normal with no current draw
This is a great idea! Thank you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.