Siren Troubleshooting

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
I have a Carson SC-1012 wired to a Feniex 100W speaker. Just this week, it started to sound quiet. Took everything apart, made sure the connections are all good, but still not fixed. I have good continuity through the speaker and my meter reads 10.2 Ohms through the speaker. I disconnected both ends of the speaker wiring to check for shorts. When tested with a multimeter, the wires do not have continuity to each other or to ground. I do have continuity between the speaker pins on the amplifier. When I test the amplifier without the speaker connected, I hear the proper tone coming from the amp. Both the siren and speaker were purchased new and have been installed for less than 6 months. I do not have another amp or speaker to test with.

Is there anything else I can do to try to eliminate the speaker/wiring? I'm thinking I may have a bad speaker.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Check the siren output at the speaker wires with the meter on AC volts. If the siren is working correctly, you should see about 32 VAC.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
I had an issue one time when I worked with a Carson siren. For some reason it would not play nice with any other speaker but a Carson. Don’t know if it was a fluke or if someone had a similar experience. Only installed a Carson once. Just an idea
Good luck

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I have good continuity through the speaker and my meter reads 10.2 Ohms through the speaker.

I remember posting incorrect information in a thread on this topic some years back and soon learning that the correct resistance to expect from the voice coil of a 100-watt siren speaker is around 4 ohms. I believe it was @Henry455 who schooled me on the matter.

Your resistance measurement of 10.2 ohms leads me to suspect the speaker.

Edit: Found it! I have added a link to that old thread above.

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
So finally found time to troubleshoot this further. I am getting about 19 volts right at the amplifier and slightly less than that at the speaker.

Also tried a second new Feniex speaker connected right to the amplifier and it still seems quiet.

All signs point towards a bad amplifier it seems.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.